Harrier GR MK7 Hasegawa 1/48 Afganistan Decal flash

LaurieS

Building the above come up against a problem.

The Harrier MK7 is ZD322  03 used in Afghanistan. It is being built as part of a diorama.

The diorama to represent Afghanistan with the Harrier in operational circumstances.

The problem is the flash on top of the tail piece. Plus the flash on the side of the motor

just in front of the thruster.

First in operation did the Harrier wear these flashes in either of both or none ? Studied lots

of pictures and some seem to and some not. Found three pictures of ZD322 with different

flashes  :banghead:

If they did wear flashes which type for this aircraft ? There seem to be two types. The one

near the thruster has two types one is a green oblong shape. The other two arrow heads

in white enclosed with a perimeter in red.

Any help much appreciated.

Laurie

To what flash are you referring? Can you link to an image?

If you're referring to the Squadron markings (which it sounds like you are) then they would have been removed on operations. The aircraft would only have the tail number and serial number to identify them. The different markings represent different Squadrons - green being 3 Squadron (prior to transitioning to Typhoon) and the one with the small arrows sounds like 1 Squadron.

Edited by Bobski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobski said:

To what flash are you referring? Can you link to an image?

If you're referring to the Squadron markings (which it sounds like you are) then they would have been removed on operations. The aircraft would only have the tail number and serial number to identify them. The different markings represent different Squadrons - green being 3 Squadron (prior to transitioning to Typhoon) and the one with the small arrows sounds like 1 Squadron.

Thanks Bob. The aircraft will be displayed as on operations. I thought that would be the case.

ZD322 must have been shuttled around different squadrons as the squadron markings are

different on various photos of ZD322.

What threw me was a Harrier, with squadron markings, in a photo displayed as a Harrier

over Afghanistan in operation. I thought that the caption must be incorrect.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

23 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Thanks Bob. The aircraft will be displayed as on operations. I thought that would be the case.

ZD322 must have been shuttled around different squadrons as the squadron markings are

different on various photos of ZD322.

What threw me was a Harrier, with squadron markings, in a photo displayed as a Harrier

over Afghanistan in operation. I thought that the caption must be incorrect.

Laurie

Aircraft are commonly moved between Squadrons in the RAF. The same happens with Tornado and Typhoon, so you'll see aircraft carrying multiple squadron markings over the course of their careers.

It's possible that an aircraft had squadron markings on operations (Typhoons certainly kept them on ops over Libya) but it's an exception rather than a rule. Normally they have them removed.

• Like 1