ICM 1/48 Junkers Ju-88 A5

I've been lurking for so many years that I thought I'd better contribute something. I'm a bit of a hack but it's good to share... right?!  My latest finished model is the lovely ICM Junkers Ju-88 A5. I've built it straight from the box, warts and all.  If I built another I would definitely fix the rear canopy frame and do something about the blank radiator faces and air intakes.  Apart from that I think it's a great kit. The hardest part was sticking the Eduard gun sights on!

I'm also half way through the old Monogram He-111 but I'd like to ask if anyone has some spare transfers from the night-bomber version - is that allowed here or do I have to wait until I have 100 posts and place an advert?  I'll post details only if it's OK.

Excuse the dodgy photos, it's the last day of summer here in NZ and the nights are drawing in. The first photo was taken before the gun sights went on but at least it was daylight. The colours definitely look more realistic in that one,

I used Tamiya Primer (can't get Vallejo to stick), Vallejo Air paints, Klear gloss, and Vallejo Satin Varnish.  Oh, and Eduard Masks.

IMG_3732-1200.jpg

IMG_3799-1200.jpg

IMG_3804-1200.jpg

IMG_3815-1200.jpg

• Like 40

47 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Very nice ! A good and clean build.

:clap2:

Whats wrong with the rear canopy ?

I'm no expert... I read a posting on another forum which said the single vertical line between the twin rear guns should, in fact, be two lines forming a triangle.  This is how Falcon represented it on their vac-formed canopies.  It'd be easy enough to correct if this is the case.

I''m sure there are Ju-88 experts here who could confirm this.

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:12 AM, SkippyNZ said:

If I built another I would definitely fix the rear canopy frame and do something about the blank radiator faces and air intakes.  Apart from that I think it's a great kit.

Skippy,

I have this in my stash but haven't really looked at it (I'll be very happy if it turns out as well as yours); what's the problem with the canopy?

• Like 1

On 3/3/2017 at 1:51 AM, Watcher said:

Skippy,

I have this in my stash but haven't really looked at it (I'll be very happy if it turns out as well as yours); what's the problem with the canopy?

HI Watcher,

The best illustration I can find is on Page 17 of Junkers Ju88 In Action by Squadron Signal Publications.  There's an illustration which shows a triangular frame between the guns instead of the single vertical frame that ICM has.  It would be easy enough to fix it with a bit of polish and paint.  I understand that the exhausts are wrong for an early A5 version but correct for the A4.  Does that mean they're right for a late A5?

That's not the work of a "hack".  It gets top marks from me - a fellow hack perhaps?

No, I reckon you've done a fine job. B)

Sorry, I can't help you with those decals.:shrug:

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, SkippyNZ said:

HI Watcher,

The best illustration I can find is on Page 17 of Junkers Ju88 In Action by Squadron Signal Publications.  There's an illustration which shows a triangular frame between the guns instead of the single vertical frame that ICM has.  It would be easy enough to fix it with a bit of polish and paint.  I understand that the exhausts are wrong for an early A5 version but correct for the A4.  Does that mean they're right for a late A5?

I'm sorry; I didn't notice that you'd answered this question before. Thanks for your trouble anyway.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2017 at 1:16 AM, Watcher said:

I'm sorry; I didn't notice that you'd answered this question before. Thanks for your trouble anyway.

No problem - there's a better thread here: 

Aims obviously knows a lot more about Ju-88's than I ever will - and I'll be taking some of his advice if I build another.

• 3 weeks later...