ICM/Revell 1/72 Do17Z-10

dfqweofekwpeweiop4

The Revell boxing of the ICM 1/72 Do17Z-10 is out and available to buy in the UK now and it's a whole pound more than the ICM boxing. So the question is, what is the difference in the 2 boxes? I'm guessing it's the camouflage/decal options but I've not seen either kit yet. Also who makes the better decals these days, Revell or ICM? I've actually not got or made any recent releases from either and previously I've had decal issues with both.

thanks

Mike

Thanks for that, like I said, I've not made any really new Revell kits (mainly the Hurricane Mk II's) and the decals have been prone to silvering, despite the usual gloss varnish, decal solutions. It's good to know that new Revell decals are good. Does anyone know what the decals are like to use on newer ICM kits?

thanks

Mike 

I haven't got the kit, but based on my experience with decals from ICM for a build 2 years ago (1/48 Do-215) I would go for the Revell kit. I haven't had any problems with them.

The ICM ones were of bad quality in my opinion.I had to search my decals for a good substitute.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

The Revell decals with my ex ICM 1/48 Spit XVI beat all the ones in my actual ICM Spitfires hands-down.

Those silvering Revell decals, I believe one of the tricks that makes them behave is carefully swabbing all the adhesive off the the back of them, then floating the decal onto a layer of wet Klear or local substitute.

Well My Do17Z-10 is here and I'm quite impressed by the look of the plastic parts on the sprue. Everything looks nice and neat and cleanly moulded with decent detailing. The Revell decals look good too and the new style glossy instruction booklet is a big improvement over previous Revell kit instructions. The only thing I'm thinking of replacing are the wheels, which are moulded in 2 halves each which I don't like and I think I'll try the Yahu replacement instrument panel and of course see about sourcing appropriate looking seatbelts. 

It does come with a load of sc50 bombs - were these ever carried by the Z-10, or was it just the extra bomb bay mounted fuel tank?

thanks

Mike

How would it compare (accuracy,quality, buildability) with an Airfix Do 17Z-2 with a new nose please? 

Note sure whether Do 17 nightfighters were ever used in the intruder role (away from references) but in such a role a fuel tank plus some bombs sounds plausible to me.  TOTAL WAG THOUGH. 

The fuel tank sounds plausible to me in the fighter role to, as it would give them a bit of loiter time.

I have no idea on accuracy or buildability. My Airfix Do-17Z-2 was a total pig when it came to getting the fuselage together (being a bit warped didn't help it) and it spent a year on the shelf of doom. The ICM/Revell kit looks 'straight' on the sprues but the proof is in the building.

thanks

Mike

The ICM Do 17Z was discussed some on the 72 Scale Aircraft Forum here and the observation was that ICM's detailing was crisper than Airfix's , but ICM cocked up the engines. Unfortunately in the linked thread, the chap who actually had some photos had a snit with the board members and subsequently went back through the entire forum deleting all his postings :o

20 hours ago, Seahawk said:

How would it compare (accuracy,quality, buildability) with an Airfix Do 17Z-2 with a new nose please?

The ICM kit also features an undernose transparancy without the bomb sight bulge required for the night fighter version.

Incidentally, it looks like one of the spare parts of the ICM Do 215B-5 night fighter in my stash, the Do 17Z-7 style 'Waffenkopf" nose cap, fits the new Z-10 just fine.

Consequently, I added one more RoG to my loft insulation. :)

Cheers,

Andre