Avia B-71 - ICM 1/72 Ready or not...

CedB

When I was re-starting this wonderful hobby I thought "I should buy a kit from every manufacturer to see what they're like" and so picked up an ICM kit of the 'Avia B-71', the Luftwaffe version of the Tu SB-2. Sadly I didn't put it down again...

There have been lots of comments on BM about assembly problems with the 'new tool' Airfix kits -  one has to be careful with the precision fit. Any paint on the joining surfaces puts everything out. Now imagine that problem when the molds are a bit old, the locating pins are blobs and there's flash on most of the joins. Not that obvious stuff, just a thin line of plastic where there should be a flat surface. Oh, and 'Ikea' picture instructions that have been photocopied. Three times. At least. Decals that seem to have had a scalpel run across the sheet so that they split into a jigsaw within seconds. Not a pleasant experience. If that's not enough, why not choose a scheme that involves a captured aircraft with faded, three-colour camouflage that's been converted for target towing and had its bottom painted yellow? i could name the reasons, but enough moaning...

The usual long WiP with helpful input from other BMers here. I learned a lot about weathering too but still need more practice. Just in case you think it's a bit 'heavy', here's a reference shot of the sort of thing I was going for:

Avia-B-71-(SE+FX)-Prague-Czechoslovakia-

Here is the results of my efforts:

32990429942_e3b8902b8e_z.jpg

DSCN0079 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

32331483043_cff9d75795_z.jpg

32990429512_c6d6023ca5_z.jpg

32990429642_e033777b11_z.jpg

32990429342_1eb77081d6_z.jpg

32331483123_c3cea1ed96_z.jpg

Comments welcome as usual. Thanks for looking.

• Like 17

Hi Ced,

I have never built an ICM kit, but I assume it is not Tamigawa micrometric fit...

So you did damn well despite the challenges, and to become au fait, I shall read your WIP presto (my wife always bitches at me because I read magazines from the end... Don't ask.)

You have laid on the sauce with the weathering of the yellow underside. Woah! Did the Germans paint this color with a broom? Possible I guess. But I like the patchy end result and the upper surfaces a re first class.

So congrats all around.

What's next? Some obscure Chinese re-box of an Afghan kit?

JR

• Like 2

Great stuff again Ced, I really do admire your patience & perserverance with the thing, and you've made me realise that there's no way I ever wish to build one! 

Let's hope the Firefly is more 'painless', eh...?!

Good work! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean said:

:rofl:.

I believe it's the second kit ICM ever released. Their kits are really everso nice now. They were cutting their teeth then, and I guess you have been grinding yours building it Ced.

I don't apologise for saying it looks absolutely grand. Love it. ICM should send you a years supply of top quality Chicken Kiev as thanks , for showing that regardless of all you outlined, it can turn into a superb. Avia B-71.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Shouldn't she be towing something? :whistle:  :devil:  Just an idea for a future build, you know ... :D:D

As said in your WIP, I like the faded effect on the top surfaces, and the bottom ones aren't bad at all for a first try at this kind of weathering :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Well Ced, another one bashed into submission.

We all learn by our mistakes mate, that is what s so good about this hobby.

Nice save on the decals, I think we all hate it when they start to fall apart like the English football teams defence.

Glad Molly is doing well.

Simon.

Now off to find that Fairy Whatsit. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Looks very nice to me, "should I get one out of the stash and build it?" good in fact. I fear that your patience quotient is far better than mine though so maybe it's not for me.

Duncan B

Nope !

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Ced,

I have never built an ICM kit, but I assume it is not Tamigawa micrometric fit...

So you did damn well despite the challenges, and to become au fait, I shall read your WIP presto (my wife always bitches at me because I read magazines from the end... Don't ask.)

You have laid on the sauce with the weathering of the yellow underside. Woah! Did the Germans paint this color with a broom? Possible I guess. But I like the patchy end result and the upper surfaces a re first class.

So congrats all around.

JR

Thanks JR - the weathering certainly split the audience but it gave me a chance to practice. It was a very educational build - certainly taught me a lesson! :D

Next? Not a Chinese re-box of an Afghan kit. :rofl: It's an Airfix Fairey Firefly - another test!

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Great stuff again Ced, I really do admire your patience & perserverance with the thing, and you've made me realise that there's no way I ever wish to build one! 

Let's hope the Firefly is more 'painless', eh...?!

Good work! :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks Keith - patience is a virtue! One of the only ones I have... The Firefly is already causing problems - I do pick 'em!

6 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I believe it's the second kit ICM ever released. Their kits are really everso nice now. They were cutting their teeth then, and I guess you have been grinding yours building it Ced.

I don't apologise for saying it looks absolutely grand. Love it. ICM should send you a years supply of top quality Chicken Kiev as thanks , for showing that regardless of all you outlined, it can turn into a superb. Avia B-71.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Second one released? What was the first one like?? I'll trust you that they're nice now - but only once I've checked the web for builds! Another lesson learnt.

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Shouldn't she be towing something? :whistle:  :devil:  Just an idea for a future build, you know ... :D:D

As said in your WIP, I like the faded effect on the top surfaces, and the bottom ones aren't bad at all for a first try at this kind of weathering :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - Wicked indeed; I did threaten to take a towing cable to TT's and you're a lot closer than he is :wicked:

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Another 'un-buildable' kit on your ceiling Ced, impressive. Lovely camo top and yellow belly.

Thanks Cookie - I really wanted something painless, and now I'm on the Firefly. The next one will be something painless, I've promised myself!

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Congratulations Ced, I would not even have started this kit - not only did you finish it, you made a damn good job of it too - nice work mate B)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew, very kind of you. I must learn to check before I purchase. Or weather.

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Well Ced, another one bashed into submission.

We all learn by our mistakes mate, that is what s so good about this hobby.

Nice save on the decals, I think we all hate it when they start to fall apart like the English football teams defence.

Glad Molly is doing well.

Simon.

Now off to find that Fairy Whatsit. 

Thanks Simon - learning is one of the joys of life - so they tell me. I think I should stick to books.

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Looking good. All said before. Hope!!!

Thanks Benedikt!

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

Looks very nice to me, "should I get one out of the stash and build it?" good in fact. I fear that your patience quotient is far better than mine though so maybe it's not for me.

Duncan B

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Nope !

Thanks Duncan - very kind and Benedikt has replied for me! He knows me so well...

• Like 4

I love the visual qualities you achieved in this shot Ced:

DSCN0086

The 'fading' you were after comes across really nicely here in this aspect. My, but that thing had wings like an albatross compared to the cross-section of the fuselage didn't it?

I'd simply echo what others have said about your pluck and gumption in wrestling  this recalcitrant plastic into such an attractive result!

BRAVO.

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks Simon - very kind and much appreciated!

Thanks Tony - very kind of you Sir. The wings are huge aren't they? Presumably why ICM decided to (grrrr gnash) split them past the nacelles to keep the box size down. I was pleased with how the pastels went on with the makeup sponge. Even I found it hard to mess that up!