Hello from Blacktown, Australia!

Ray Theron

Hi, everyone, I'm a newbie from Oz (well, originally from South Africa where I did most of my modelling as a youngster, but I've been in Oz since the end of 2002). I have returned to the hobby after an almost 30-year  hiatus and am enjoying it tremendously. Found so much has changed that it's like starting from scratch! I mostly build aircraft and have set this year aside for jets. At the moment I'm working on a 48th scale Italeri Eurofighter. Thanks for accepting me into the forum, admins! Cheers, Ray

• Like 1

Hi Ray, welcome to Britmodeller. 

1/48 is pretty popular for modellers of a certain age demographic as it's a good compromise between shelf space and being able to see what the hell you're doing!

Look forward to seeing you around the forums. 

• Like 1

That's no maybe, Doug! Much as I'd love to build some 1/32nd and 1/24th models, there is simply nowhere to display them safely. And, yes, especially 1/48th jet canopies are so much easier to mask when you're no spring chicken any more!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

British born, but spent a few years in cape town myself between the ages of 7-18. 

En ek kan nog steeds n bietjie van die taal onthou... 

I love Cape Town! I served in the AA Artillery there (regular army) and after that worked at Die Burger in the city. Even when I was teaching in Stellenbosch and living in Somerset West we used to go to the city a lot. Lekkerbly!

12 hours ago, Sean_M said:

Hi I am in the UK and also an ex SAFFA

Hi Sean! Great to meet you. Whereabout is the UK? My eldest son is stationed in Larkhill and the young lives in Brighton. We were in Amesbury and London during our all too brief visit in 2012 and I loved it!

Welcome ! To add further proof that this world is quite small, I'm Italian but I've worked for a while for a company that had their premises in Blacktown (Forge Rd. IIRC). I lived in Sydney back then and loved the place. Don't know if the world is small or Britmodeller is big... :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Welcome ! To add further proof that this world is quite small, I'm Italian but I've worked for a while for a company that had their premises in Blacktown (Forge Rd. IIRC). I lived in Sydney back then and loved the place. Don't know if the world is small or Britmodeller is big... :D

Ciao, Giorgio! Thanks for the welcome. Yes, the world is small -- and Britmodeller is big! I have to admit I prefer Melbourne (where I lived for eight years) to Sydney: the ambience is very different and so are the people! But my all-time favourite cities are still Ponta Delgada in the Azores, Lisbon and Cape Town. Va bene!

• 3 months later...