"I fear no man" - Tamiya F-4J Phantom in 1/32 scale

Antti_K

Hello my Dear Fellow Modellers:)

A former RAF Phantom Navigator David Gledhill wrote in his excellent book: " You could love the Phantom or hate the Phantom but you could never ignore the Phantom". I certainly love the Phantom! Especially the British Phantom. I started this project last September and I was seriously planning a conversion to FG.1 or FGR.2. I spent hours searching for measurements, photographs and so on. I calculated and made sketches until I realized that rear fuselage will need a complete rebuild from thin styrene strips. The surface detailing would be problematic and the model would be very heavy due to extra fuselage frames. The rumors about the future release of HK Models 1/32 scale British Phantom made me rethink the whole project.

So I decided to go on with an ordinary F-4J. With this to be precise:

Kit_zpsbyucjrt9.jpg

It soon became clear that decals for the F-4J(UK) were impossible to find and the white stencils wouldn't be without problems either. I have the AoA Decals' sheet for "Taproom 102" and a complete set of black and red stencils. The kit's cockpit (especially the rear cockpit) represents an aircraft after AFC (Air Frame Change) 506 with the new radar scope and controls. I haven't found any information about the date when AFC 506 came into force. Some modifications started in 1968. "Taproom 102" (BuNo 155887) was accepted by the USN in July 1969 and it went to war in August. She most likely had the "older" style rear cockpit. I couldn't find out if the aftermarket resin cockpits are of the older or later style. One other thing with the cockpits: as Mr Gledhill said, the rear cockpit was very sensitive to cameras during the Cold War. I haven't seen a single photograph of the RIO's cockpit from the late 1960s! But I have found hundreds of photos about those fist-size wire bundles in the landing gear bays.

So, I will build the model trying to make it as accurate as possible. To achieve this I decided to check the measurements, shapes and surface detailing and enhance them where ever possible. I will decide later which airframe this will be. It is clear that this Phantom will be "inaccurate" or a "What If" - at least to some extent. For example I have never seen an F-4J in imaginary RAF or RN paintwork! Let's see;)

Here is some of the references I have on the subject.

References_zpsft7lfsan.jpg

Danny Coremans's book in the front is a must for every modeller. It contains excellent photos just about every detail there is on a USN Phantom. I was also lucky to find some scans of the original factory drawings from the Internet. I'd like especially to mention Tailspinturtle; a former Phantom test flight engineer who runs an excellent site.

Factory_drawnings_zpstqee3ywe.jpg

I also bought some aftermarket parts for the project. For example the seats are a must; they will save you time during the build.

Extrabits_zpsumgq3shf.jpg

FORE!

Let's start with the radome. Some modellers say that the kit's original radome is out of shape and too long. I checked the radomes against a factory drawing:

Radome_1_zpskggjline.jpg

And then the aftermarket competitor:

Radome_2_zpsurhrdpkj.jpg

Hummm... Many modellers are convinced that the kit's radome is bad and the only way forward is by using the nose manufactured by Airwaves. The Tamiya radome also checks out with photographs. I don't have an explanation for this. I will use the Tamiya radome. The kit's fuselage measures 55 cm parallel to the Water Line and that is some five millimeters short. The Tamiya radome will keep the overall length closer to the real thing. It looks right and it also fits like a glove.

Nose details then. The kit's nose detailing is a hybrid between an F-4J and an F-4B. Look at the photos for more detailed information:

Nose_doors_P_zpsb0wxfvaq.jpg

Nose_doors_P_1_zps0tzsxyoa.jpg

Climbing on top of the nose.

Defog_outlets_zpsnyrwyrls.jpg

IFR_Probe_Light_zpstgpjny1y.jpg

Nose_details_SB_1_zpsqft2qtqo.jpg

Nose_doors_SB_zpseijxgfhb.jpg

Scale_rulers_zps2wqkgdas.jpg

I made these rulers with my HP Office Jet 8600. They are scaled down (or up) copies of a metal ruler. They are extremely useful when you need to locate any number of screws or rivets with even spacing on a given panel length. Very easy and the scale is always spot on.

Thank You for watching and hope to see You all again soon:)

Antti

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Antti_K said:

And welcome aboard. You are right Antoine: the "Taproom 102" decals look absolutely stunning... and still I haven't made up my mind yet.

Hi Antti,

My choice would be the 1972/73 cruise, the blue bird with CDR Hall's name on the canopy.

After all, this sheet is a kind of tribute to him, even if he was shot down flying another Phantom.

• Like 1

Just saw your thread Antti. You are onto a great start already. Interesting to see you have found some factory drawings of this icon. It's a must for any aviation modeler to have one sitting in their shelf. So, I will follow along and enjoy your build. Now don't shy away from posting as many photographs as this thread can hold ;) 

Mike

• Like 1

An excellent start and some interesting observations with the radome. Indeed, it is a timely reminder that aftermarket items are not (always), by default, 'correct' or in many cases even 'better' that the kit part(s).

Gary

• Like 1

Great start, loving the attention to detail. I'm a bit stalled on my C, as I bought the GT resin cockpit, and it's quite a disappointment. I also bought the GT's resin burners, what's your take on the size of the exhausts debate? Keep up the work, looking forward to the updates👍

Si

• Like 1

Hello Si,

Thank You:)

I have been busy with the intakes. I've spent more time with them than many models. The cockpit is also ...."interesting". Luckily it is nearly complete. However it won't be an exact replica of any of the Phantom types; It is a cross between an F-4D and F-4B (Front) and F-4J and F-4S (Rear). I didn't want to use resin cockpits.

As mentioned I use(d) some properly scaled factory drawings. I compared the diameter of the re-heat on the drawing with the information available on a General Electric brochure of the J79 engine and they are a perfect match. Revell kit parts have the "Turkey Feathers" that in turn match these references exactly. So I will use the Revell re-heaters with resin "interiors".

An update is coming soon.

Best Regards,

Antti

I'm sure there will be a day when I do Phantom... Will follow your build Antti with great interest! Your attention to details is just killing me...

(take it as another compliment) :goodjob:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, there is but you have to be prepared for a lot of work. Tamiya 1/32 scale kit isn't especially accurate model of an F-4J either so there is also a lot of work to be done anyway if you wish an accurate "American cousin". I have this model ready for finishing touches but it have to wait a little while longer. Humbrol enamels gave me a very nasty surprise ruining all surface details. I had to re-scribe everything and give her a new coat of paint.

I am (still) waiting for that HK Models' "promised" 1/32 scale FG.1/FGR.2.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1