Formaplane 1/72 Breguet Super Bidon "Cuatro Vientos"

I was looking for Breguet XIX kits on ebay last year and got a good deal on a couple of Formaplane vacs, one of which was molded with a cockpit enclosure, wings and other details that meant it could only be built as "Cuatro Vientos", the plane that made the first flight from Spain to Cuba in 1933.  The plane disappeared without a trace on the second leg of its journey, enroute to Mexico City.  

I think Formaplane's kit had its origins as the Hispano Aviokit vac, photos of the parts look the same to me.  No decals were provided but Arctic Decals now has a set available, which I used.

A few pics of the model which I just finished this morning:

Formaplane%20quotCuatro%20Vientosquot%20

No clear parts were provided so I cut away the cockpit enclosure and used it to vac a replacement...

CV%20canopy_zpslii4ncoe.jpg

I scratchbuilt the interior...

CV%20Cockpit%202_zps9ym1mjju.jpg

The stringer detail on the rear fuselage was pretty bad so I sanded it off and replaced it with skins of .005" plastic that was scored on the inside with a pen...

CV%20fuselage%20skin%20template_zpsd0vy9

CV%20fuselage%20skin_zps6pvbpikn.jpg

After lots of masking and painting, it's done!

Thanks for looking.

-Dan

• Like 31

Excellent model of what appears to be a complex build ! I have never seen this airplane before but it is quite nice looking :)

I love seeing vacs beaten into submission, and this just goes to show that with some skill and a bit of old fashioned modelling, beautiful results can be achieved. 

Bravo!

Tom

• Like 1

Hi Dan: 

Congratulations for this magnificent build!!!

This seem a very dark kit of a very historic aircraft an you got here a Wonderful build  of a very difficult kit. The other route could be the OMEGA, HOT KIT short run  or L.M.RESIN KITS for modification to this variant with close cockpit, but as this one has the right parts, for sure I think  you have got a great fun and at sight are the wonderful results dealing with a -for many- outdated and forgotten kit. The most I liked was the fuselage detail and the way you did the cockpit, and the overall finishing,  <a true old school one , is just a nice jewel of build!!! 

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso