Mistel Torpedo Attack Aircraft Mistel

nsmekanik

This has been a bit of an on going project over the years and originally started out as a 1/72 JU 388 Mistel project that went a bit sideways, here is the Special Hobby fuselage being hacked up, a Hasegawa JU 88 wing is there as by the time I got this far with it I had come to the conclusion that it might be worth the extra expense using more mainstream kit parts as the amount of clean up and fitting just would not bring the same result and I got the kit cheap...... 

IMG_9845.jpg

As it turned out both kits matched the drawings I have fairly closely and each other extremely well

IMG_9849.jpg

IMG_9848.jpg

IMG_9850.jpg

IMG_9851.jpg

Ideally the plan was to use the SH central section to create the fuselage extensions, but one problem that wasn't immediately to me was that the central section of the Hasegawa kit starts to taper before the rear of the wing fairing, which, as far as I can tell it's not supposed to in reality, nothing insurmountable but is very annoying. 

IMG_9852.jpg

And here is where it's at with a Dragon TA 152 that was possibly going to be used as the fighter. Not anymore, those kits are garbage.......

IMG_9865.jpg

And where it all came to a halt, as I was working on the cockpit section and started cut out the canopy a portion broke away, and as they were already beginning to yellow I decided that about the only usable part was the rear fuselage so I would be better off looking for a Hasegawa JU 188 with the torpedo's which I never did get yet...... 

IMG_9855.jpg

• Like 2

I have been sitting on a Dragon JU 188 for the longest time and a little while ago I decided what the hell, why not so I dug it out and started hacking away at it. 

IMG_20150605_020141_zpsgm3r4qcu.jpg

IMG_20150605_021855007_zpsapsxzrpj.jpg

The front piece of an Eduard ME 110 G gun pack worked out just right

IMG_20150605_194105749_HDR_zpsywdx8ubz.j

IMG_20150605_194114188_zps73yklykc.jpg

IMG_20150605_194139702_zpsuwmtpuxw.jpg

At this point I started playing around with ideas about how to paint it, this has all since been stripped off.

IMG_20150606_202856972_zps7mhrjlue.jpg

IMG_20150606_202905042_HDR_zpsgrmob8bb.j

Next I added the fuselage extension which didn't fit all that well, what I should have done really rather then adding a wrap around shim was cut it and shim it though in hind sight.

IMG_20150722_234728060_HDR_zps9zp53woi.j

And this is where it is at the moment.

• Like 3

It's been a very long term project :P

I had also done a bit of work on the engines as well

001_zpsob79njrh.jpg

002_zps1umzies2.jpg

IMG_0480_zps68isrmyg.jpg

IMG_0481_zpstayyiaun.jpg

And because I was also playing around with the Radials I decided to figure out another way to mount the props

IMG_0482_zpsby3zwl8h.jpg

And I added some blanking to prevent a see through effect

IMG_0483_zpshvzuehuv.jpg

• Like 3

And for where things are at here is the HobbyBoss D-12, first thing I'll say is throw the decals in the garbage cause that's what they are. You might make them work if you use future to apply them, which I don't so I won't guarantee this as a solution. Other then that they don't stick and are impervious to any setting solutions.

Here I am using decals from a Dragon Mistel kit and they work beautifully

IMG_0609_zpsh6bvujr6.jpg

IMG_0610_zpslwkgspqg.jpg

There is a gap between the fuselage and the wing which is easily fixed with a spreader inside the fuselage

IMG_0614_zpsjko2oqxd.jpg

This is more or less an easy build kit by the way it is engineered, and it does go together rather quick and easy, the way the cockpit fits into the fuselage it is advisable not to glue it until after the spreader has been installed as otherwise it may end up off center and cockeyed.while there is some basic engine detail there is a lot missing in there and the exhaust stubs, which have to be installed prior to gluing the fuselage  together, extend past the engine plug. my solution was to paint the insides black except the compressor  as I really don't care to do all the extra work and for what I'm doing it will be more then adequate. 

IMG_0615_zpswiaxl7fr.jpg

What little gap is left will be easily sorted with some glue and tape overnight

IMG_0616_zpsi6eaubu2.jpg

IMG_0617_zpswsatppx1.jpg

I read somewhere that the HobbyBoss 190 series was a lose copy mix of Tamiya and Dragon kits, not sure about the Tamiya connection but there is certainly a lot of similarity between the Dragon and HobbyBoss kits........until one attempts to fit parts from one to the other, The design is however almost a direct copy.

The wheels of the HBoss kit are slightly smaller and unlike the Dragon kit are 2 piece. Dragon on the left. If one wants to use the Dragon wheel it is a simple matter of shortening the attachment stubs, which are tapered, on the Hboss kit and reeming out the centers of the dragon one a bit. Not sure which ones are correct at the moment.

IMG_0618_zpsu8o7o2tl.jpg

The HobbyBoss spinner is wrong as it tapers where it shouldn't, whereas the Dragon one has the right shape but is to long relative to the way the nose of the kits are engineered. The HobbyBoss Spinner is on the left in the Dragon Nose piece. All things considered I am most likely going to order up a Quickboost Prop and nose for the TA 152 to use on this kit, in the mean time I will loosely set the kit parts in place.

IMG_0620_zpsnnasjbqr.jpg

Here the Dragon canopy is set on the HobbyBoss kit, The HobbyBoss canopy parts are a carbon copy of Dragons, but not dimensionally identical. The windscreen sits at a slightly different angle on the HobbyBoss kit then on the Dragon kit.

IMG_0621_zpsmqa3cr7c.jpg

The nose piece is where the kits differ some what, while they are both keyed the same way, the Dragon kit uses separate flap parts for open or closed to be glued to the nose where as the HobbyBoss kit uses seperate nose pieces with the flaps molded on to represent open or closed and the attachment point is smaller in diameter so the HobbyBoss one won't fit on the Dragon kit.

IMG_0622_zps7jixft2k.jpg

IMG_0630_zpshsbzl6ch.jpg

There is a much greater, if not initially noticeable, difference in the engine cowlings, of key note is that the HobbyBoss kit does not accurately represent the 213 E/F cowling in that the bulges to accommodate the engine mounts is not represented. 

IMG_0623_zpsm6pvqqoh.jpg

IMG_0624_zpszffqftx2.jpg

And the landing gear is near identical except for the attachment point which has the HobbyBoss kit parts set at the correct angle and all the parts actually fit, and, as can be seen, with a little care can be assembled seperately so they can be installed after painting.

IMG_0629_zpsdy8q7ldt.jpg

The seats are pretty much the same except how they attach

IMG_0632_zpsl0z7f9cp.jpg

The Torpedo is Garbage and nothing like that shown on the box art, the R-14 kit was something like $1.65 Canadian extra over the base kit, which has what likes like a much better modeled cluster bomb as is in the Dragon kit, so if anyone is thinking of getting an R-14 kit of either the 190 or 152 don't bother with concerning yourself with getting the specific kit as you will be wanting to replace the torpedo, the bomb/torpedo rack is a meh but sufficient more or less. Compared to the Dragon offering in the JU 188 kit.

IMG_0628_zpsfn6d8g6m.jpg

And now loosely stuck together 

IMG_0634_zpsskgwo0zu.jpg

IMG_0635_zpsi9cngpo5.jpg 

IMG_0636_zpsgu0cnc7v.jpg

Of note I had a little boo boo before I put the fuselage together I lost the kit tail wheel strut that has to go in before the halves come togther so this is how I fixed it using the Dragon tail wheel which is what is just set in place in the pics 

IMG_0592_zpsphejmerb.jpg

Edited by nsmekanik
  • Like 3