The lady is a vamp *(Finished - 25/06/17)*

planecrazee

And now on to my third GB for the year so far - no pressure then - the perfectly formed little De Havilland Vampire from Airfix:

Vampire_zps2wkhm4pb.jpg

This is of course one of Airfix's more recently tooled models and for me it's a little cracker.  I'll be building predominantly oob as is my way but there's plently of nice detail for the scale.

You'll see from my pics below that I've filled the nose cavity and the space behind the pilots seat with lead weighting to prevent her from being a tail sitter.  This stuff is brilliant - so small but yet so heavy and can be perfectly arranged to fit into even the tightest spaces and glued in place with PVA.

I will be adding the pilots to the build too - pic below - although they need a lick of paint first.  So below is my progress so far and will update as soon as possible:

DSC00285_zpsybsobvjo.jpg

DSC00286_zpsz7mxal3b.jpg

DSC00288_zpsg8fpmep2.jpg

DSC00289_zpsm2ifxkcg.jpg

DSC00291_zpsszedvobk.jpg

DSC00299_zpsofqrgy2j.jpg

DSC00300_zpsq27bo8xa.jpg

DSC00302_zpscxay7qoc.jpg

Instrument panel painted up and awaiting decal which isn't bad for this scale and should look fine once fitted

DSC00311_zps01neem1o.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey dag - thanks for your interest. Updates are imminent - hope you get pics of latest state of play on shortly. All the fuselage is together now with a bit of filling to sort and then it's just the canopy and I can make a start on the paint job.

Kris

On 02/06/2017 at 10:28 AM, planecrazee said:

Hey dag - thanks for your interest. Updates are imminent - hope you get pics of latest state of play on shortly. All the fuselage is together now with a bit of filling to sort and then it's just the canopy and I can make a start on the paint job.

Kris

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of your progress. The GB ends three weeks today so it sounds like you are on track to finish in time.

• planecrazee changed the title to The lady is a vamp *(Update - 07/06/17)*
On 6/3/2017 at 11:39 AM, DAG058 said:

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of your progress. The GB ends three weeks today so it sounds like you are on track to finish in time.

Just for you Dag - here's the latest progress

• Like 1

So with the Mig-21 finished for the 70s Nato v Warsaw Pact build, I'm free to get the Vampire completed.

Since my last update, the pilots have been painted up and placed into the 'office' and the fuselage has been closed up.  The tail booms have been added and any necessary filling and sanding has been completed.  I've also masked up the canopy so I'm good to go to get her primed and then she can be painted up and decaled.  

Here's where I am now:

DSC00403_zpsfmv03r4b.jpg

DSC00402_zpsg886hqkq.jpg

DSC00399_zps8kbjygds.jpg

DSC00398_zpsccvxjrin.jpg

DSC00397_zpsfacnk0go.jpg

DSC00400_zpsfzva2pet.jpg

DSC00401_zpsx8ntlrt4.jpg

• Like 1

On 26 February 2017 at 1:14 AM, planecrazee said:

You'll see from my pics below that I've filled the nose cavity and the space behind the pilots seat with lead weighting to prevent her from being a tail sitter.  This stuff is brilliant - so small but yet so heavy and can be perfectly arranged to fit into even the tightest spaces and glued in place with PVA.

I found with mine that you can pour your little lead balls and some PVA into the nose through the hole where the ventral panel and nosewheel bay fit and you don't need a huge amount to keep the nose down.  

Your under wing joints look a lot neater than mine: I should have bought shares in a filler manufacturer the amount I used.

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

I found with mine that you can pour your little lead balls and some PVA into the nose through the hole where the ventral panel and nosewheel bay fit and you don't need a huge amount to keep the nose down.  

Your under wing joints look a lot neater than mine: I should have bought shares in a filler manufacturer the amount I used.

Thanks for your comments steve.  I did notice that the fit on the wing joints as well as around the intakes wasn't great which I dry fitted and dry fitted again thinking there was an issue but couldn't work out if it was the kit or just me so maybe it wasn't just me after all :hmmm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • planecrazee changed the title to The lady is a vamp *(Finished - 25/06/17)*

Right - here we go - finally got her finished.  I've gone right up to the wire but managed to complete and get some pics in the gallery.  Thanks for the constant encouragement Dag lol.

So from my last update I had to prime her and do a little more sanding and fettling here and there.  Then I got her painted up in overall aluminium. Once this was dry, I did a fairly weighty bit of masking for the 'Day Glo' which was really worth the effort for the overall effect.  Then she received a few coats of Tamiya X-22 clear before receiving the decals and further coats of X-22 to seal them in.  Also at this point I painted up the undercarriage and other little bits and pieces that would be added at the end.

With all this complete, I did a panel line wash to really help make the excellent detail pop.  I decided not to go for any obvious weathering as I wouldn't think trainer aircraft would get the same kind of beating as those in service.  Then she was put on her legs with the undercarriage added and the final piece of the canopy added in the open position to show off the cockpit and its two occupants.

So here she is in all her 'Day Glo' glory - I hope you enjoy and as always your comments and feedback are always welcome.

DSC00415

DSC00417

DSC00418

DSC00421

DSC00422

DSC00423

DSC00425

DSC00427

DSC00428

DSC00432

DSC00434

DSC00438

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DAG058 said:

Superb! I agree with your thoughts on the weathering, I think you've got it just right. Great work and thank you for getting your build in on time, well worth the effort I say! 

Thanks for that Dag - I wasn't going to let the clock beat me.  That's what happens though when you're trying to do 3 builds at once!!

41 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Lovely job! It still looks sharp even in the mega-close-up shots, and the weathering is spot on.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks for your very kind comments Adrian - very much appreciated.  The photos are a bit dark in places - lighting seems to be my biggest problem.  I wish I had capacity to create a space that was full of light without it having to be daylight as I tend to do most of my modelling in the evenings.

Kris