Zvezda Fishbed ***FINISHED*** (04/06/17)

Here's my contribution for the 70's NATO v Warsaw Pact GB:

MiG-21-Bis%201-72-Zvezda_zpsgobqe41s.jpg

It's my second GB of the year so far as I'm currently busying away on the F-16 GB.  This seems to be a nicely detailed kit with fine panel lines and some nice cockpit details.  So far everything seems to be going together nicely.  This is my progress so far:

DSC00278_zpsjb9nsziy.jpg

DSC00303_zpsvhepaxm1.jpg

DSC00309_zpsfjdjb176.jpg

DSC00308_zpsvzhq688i.jpg

DSC00293_zpsu7e5ujwx.jpg

DSC00292_zpswbkcrkbn.jpg

Next job is to work on the nose cone and exhaust and then look to close her up and start bringing everything together. This is my first Russian jet so I'm enjoying the challenge so far - hopefully I can do it some justice.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

Thanks for the comments folks. In answer to your question zebra I'm toying between the Russian or the Finnish scheme - any preference? 

Since Finland's not in NATO or the Warsaw Pact (a shame, always liked their green and black scheme) I don't think the Finnish scheme will be within the GB rules - so whilst my preference is the Finnish scheme, I think you'll need to go for the Russian for the group build.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you get the cockpit colour Planecrazee? Or which one is it? Looking to grab something for impending Russian multi purchases set to arrive. Good work so far. I like the look of Zvezda kits, enjoy watching this 

Hi Valkyrie - thanks for your post and I wish you well with your builds. The colour I've used for the cockpit is Vallejo Model Color Emerald (70.838). Not sure if this color is the best match for Russian jets but I think it's pretty damn near.

• 2 months later...

Right folks, finally back with an update.

Since my last posts I decided that I would go for the NMF Polish scheme for this build and that I was going to go totally off on a tangent and have this MiG in flight which is something I've never done before.

So I've closed up the fuselage, filled and sanded where necessary although this was minimal and helped by the way the kit goes together to eradicate some of the joins.  The only issue I've had with the 'in-flight' scheme is that the landing gear doors were a pig to sort - obviously Zvezda manufactured these to work best in the open position even though the instructions offer both. :rant:

Other than that, in fairness the kit has been no problem to put together.  The canopy was masked by hand and went on without problems and then the whole lot was sprayed in differing aluminium, silver and steel shades to offer contrast.  This is where I am now:

DSC00362_zpswwbi1axl.jpg

DSC00363_zpsfub3yuoq.jpg

DSC00364_zpsofnqx68y.jpg

DSC00365_zpsjtkal02d.jpg

DSC00367_zps9aftodpl.jpg

DSC00368_zpsxp4ge7tx.jpg

DSC00369_zps7szixhij.jpg

Thanks for looking folks - as always your comments are appreciated.  I've just gloss coated her so decals, panel line wash and some weathering will be next as well as fitting the various pieces of ordnance.  Hope to update you all very soon.

• Like 4

On 2017-5-15 at 19:17, planecrazee said:

Thx vultures. It's my first go at this technique so just seeing how it plays - hopefully work out well.

I'd say its playing out quite well,one of those clay based dark washes on there and it'll be a cracker

Glynn

• planecrazee changed the title to Zvezda Fishbed ***FINISHED*** (04/06/17)

Right folks, here goes.

I've finally finished the Zvezda Mig-21 (with a week to spare) and I've got to say I've really enjoyed this build (apart from the poor fit on the undercarriage bays)!!

I've also learned a lot - particularly as this one was completed in NMF - something I don't seem to do very often.  This is now my third completed jet, following my F-16 and Buccaneer and I'm currently racing to complete the Airfix Vampire for the de Havilland GB.

The model was completed OOB with the addition of a scratched pitot tube as the kit piece was ok but not realistic enough.  Completed using Revell Aqua acrylics (which I love for airbrushing - so smooth) and a panel line wash and minimal weathering.

Hope you enjoy and as always I'd really appreciate any feedback and comments.  Kris

PS I think I got carried away on the amount of photos, but hey - who's counting?  

DSC00390_zpsld35oodh.jpg

DSC00395_zpsc0dfxw68.jpg

DSC00393_zpsbbcopvnc.jpg

DSC00392_zpsnkblwapo.jpg

DSC00391_zpspyfokp7w.jpg

DSC00389_zpsupu1yvpw.jpg

DSC00387_zpstblbxgct.jpg

DSC00386_zpshbrvfsfg.jpg

DSC00385_zps205vmu7j.jpg

DSC00384_zpseetigqd2.jpg

DSC00383_zpsewxqzjya.jpg

DSC00382_zpsaebtqtk6.jpg

DSC00380_zpsuv4q7obm.jpg

DSC00379_zpsn5hj8gpr.jpg

DSC00378_zps4iy0sk8a.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

That looks pretty cool. I'm just wondering if your RATO bottles set up correctly? It looks like the rocket exhaust points right at the fuselage?

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated. I've only just learned about the RATO bottles as a result of this build so you live and learn - it's great having so many knowledgeable folks on the forum to help you build up your knowledge.