A different Camo Scheme?

allyby

I just wondered if anyone has ever strayed from the norm and done their own thing as  a camouflage scheme, well that's not strictly true in this case as the pattern did exist!

I have a Me Bf 109E-4 1/24 scale from Airfix, (A50176) Now the thing is I would like to paint it in a different camo scheme, but just using the decals provided or even getting a set of Romanian decals to add to it.

Now is this frowned upon or totally acceptable in the model community?

This is what I'm thinking of doing but I cant get a hold of the proper decals.

2_128_zpsydfphyjp.png

It's your model, and yes, if that is what you

want to do to it then go ahead.

I think it looks quite good.

If you scroll down the forum to the commercial

bit you will find Paul Parkes. He can print your

decals (he's done some for me in the past).

• Like 1

It's a hobby, and how you wish to paint is your choice.  In fact, there have been group builds of what if projects with all kinds of non-existent schemes - so it is popular among some of the members.

Just be sure when you present your finished piece to mention the fiction aspect, otherwise some might try to correct you.

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

Not a scheme I'd run across before, but apparently  very well documented, well the port side...

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E7-III.JG77-Black-10

see https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG77-Balkans.html

it's not very non-standard, the wing splinter pattern looks factory,  the most unusual feature is the multiple unit badges.   The top image has drawings of the badges  and name, and if  you have a graphics program and printer,  you could print these on white decal film,same the numbers. 

There are a bewildering amount of possible schemes for the Bf109, very little need to make any up!

HTH

T

• Like 3

In relation to your original question, yes people stray all the time often in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Besides with Luftwaffe camoflage replicating it is well nigh impossible as a lot of it was frestyle.

On another forum which shall remain nameless I accidentally did a bf109g with an e scheme and f markings.

on the whole people liked it but there were 1 or 2 who commented that if you're going to do it, do it right.

my view - you paid for the kit so go for it!

• Like 4

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 18:56, Troy Smith said:

Not a scheme I'd run across before, but apparently  very well documented, well the port side...

see https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG77-Balkans.html

it's not very non-standard, the wing splinter pattern looks factory,  the most unusual feature is the multiple unit badges.   The top image has drawings of the badges  and name, and if  you have a graphics program and printer,  you could print these on white decal film,same the numbers. 

There are a bewildering amount of possible schemes for the Bf109, very little need to make any up!

HTH

T

Just  found the starboard side as well, I think it's going to be this one if I can get the decals printed.

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG77-Balkans/pages/Messerschmitt-Bf-109E7-III.JG77-Black-10-Hubert-Mutherich-Semlin-airfield-Yugoslavia-May-1941-0A.html

On 25/02/2017 at 6:16 PM, allyby said:

I just wondered if anyone has ever strayed from the norm and done their own thing as  a camouflage scheme, well that's not strictly true in this case as the pattern did exist!

Now is this frowned upon or totally acceptable in the model community?

On 25/02/2017 at 6:50 PM, JackG said:

Just be sure when you present your finished piece to mention the fiction aspect, otherwise some might try to correct you.

As has been said, it's your model and you paint it as you wish. If anyone tries to tell you otherwise, or rants that you have it all wrong, tell them where to stick it.

And if you had a totally accurate model, with photographic and documentary evidence to back it up, you'd still get some muppet pointing out its inaccuracies. I recently had somebody in the shop pointing out the Airfix 1/48 tropical Hurricane and telling me that Airfix had it all wrong as it should have had a 40mm cannon under each wing. Wouldn't be told it was a Mk.I and not a Mk.IID but there you go...

• Like 4

I had one guy at a show tell me my Klingon Bird of Prey was the wrong scheme and colours after looking at him for a  few minutes in disbelief I pointed out that when we chased the Federation out of the  Mutara nebula we were not  bothered about the colours of our ships

Take no notice of anyone its your model its your hobby you do it for fun and enjoyment not to please  anyone else  

• Like 9

Hi, Panzer Vor!!! and all,

A Stroke For Historical Accuracy.

This is an age old discussion.

Personally, I am a historian, so I would shun purposely making any "historical inaccuracy" in a model of mine, and would happily (and "matter-of-factly") point it out on someone else's.  I see the main purpose of our hobby as reproducing in scale models of historical or existing objects to the highest possible degree of accuracy given the information and materials available, and the skill of the builder.

Others may have a different view.

Even in the case of a Klingon Bird of Prey (or the figure of Theòden King of the Rohirrim riding to battle) there is a "prototype" upon which a "model" can be jugded as "more or less accurate". You can argue about it being "real" (even from a philosophical point of view... if it "exists" in a movie, is it "real"?) But if you are modelling "a spaceship out of such and such movie", you indeed have a "prototype to model", most probably better documented than many WWII individual airframes! Should you consider "hypothetic" the model of a spaceship out of a movie because it doesn't look like the one in the movie? Or the "hypothetic" cathegory covers them all (those models following exactly the ones in the movie and those freely modified)?

Often the technique of those making "inaccurate" (by this standards) models is extremely high and I certainly admire them, from that point of view.

Many of the examples put forward by the esteemed readership are plainly inaccurate remarks, which emphasizes the absurdity of the situation. But try imagine a situation in which the observation is correct ("hey man, that Sea Hurricane was painted in TSS, not in TLS..."; or, as happened to me, "hey, that particular Macchi 202 was painted in "Macchi rings", not mottles; it is well documented in pictures..." -obviously the builder had tried to avoid the technical difficulty of painting them. He placed rather high in a contest with a thoroughly inaccurate model -yes, it was "thoroughly inaccurate" because it very obviously looked nothing like the object it claimed to represent-

Welcome on board. Challenges accepted. Fair play a rule.

Fernando

Edited by Fernando
  • Like 2

The reason i do this hobby is for fun and to relax I find your post to be offensive and belittling how people model is down to them and not you 

If you came to the club with that attitude I would ask you to leave 

Make your models your way and leave other people to enjoy the hobby how they see fit 

In answer to the post by Fernando

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

The reason i do this hobby is for fun and to relax I find your post to be offensive and belittling how people model is down to them and not you 

If you came to the club with that attitude I would ask you to leave 

Make your models your way and leave other people to enjoy the hobby how they see fit 

Panzer _ I am a little confused if your post is aimed at me. for my comment immediately above yours. The discussion had moved on a bit to talk about spurious scheme and I was simply pointing out some expert "what-ifs".

Totally agree about modelling being a fun hobby - says he with an F-14 in TSS underway at the moment.

Nothing wrong or "not fun" in chasing accuracy.  Where's the wonder and joy in being wrong?  Given the amount of time and effort put into making a model, where does the problem come in doing just a little bit of research first?

Fernando said that this was the way he did it, not that any other way was wrong.  He isn't chasing anyone out of any club.  Why are you?

• Like 2