Bangor Lad's Boatyard

Finished adding the photo etch to the hull and ready for another coat of 5N.

DSCF2479.jpg

You can see here some of the areas I airbrushed a slightly lightened coat of 5N Blue. I'm thinking of masking some of these areas with Maskol before applying the next coat of blue to show some wear and tear.

DSCF2477.jpg

I've already lightened the flight deck by adding some pale grey to the base colour. I'll apply a few washes after the decals have been applied.

DSCF2476.jpg

The etches come from Eduard's dedicated set for the Enterprise and fitted well. I'm not a fan of the style of railings in this set when compared to GMM and those from later Eduard sets where they have done away with the separate stanchions in favour of a fourth rail.

DSCF2475.jpg

I used GMM railings for the flight deck walkways as they are a little finer and were much easier to fit. You can also see the 20mm Oerlikon shields which I fitted ahead of painting. The cannons themselves will be fitted at the end. These are much more basic than the ones I fitted to my USS Independence build but should fit the bill.

DSCF2473.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to get some work on CV-6 over the weekend.

DSCF2509.jpg

Finished fitting the etched details and applied a coat of Lifecolor 5N. The island isn't fixed in place yet. I'll do that once the flight deck decals have been applied.

DSCF2516.jpg

I added a little pale grey to the 5N to give some tonal variation. This will be followed by some washes to help pick out the details. I'll also add some chipping with various shades of grey and rust to give a weathered finish.Disappointed I didn't add any aircraft to the hangar deck. I hadn't realised that it would be so visible from this angle.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress.

I've glossed the flight deck and applied the decals which are a mixture of GMM numbers and Starfighter lines.

IMG_3053.jpg

I then applied some weathering to the hull with some chips and scrapes from Lifecolor and Vallejo acrylics applied with fine brush. I also applied a couple of washes to the flight deck using a combination of greys and sandy shades. This is the first application which I'll follow up with some more washes, drybrushing and pastels later.

IMG_3050.jpg

The hull still needs some more washes applied to tone down some of the chipping and give a bit of depth to the details. Don't forget this is the old Tamiya kit so I'm using it as a bit of a test bed to try out a few ideas.

In this view you can also see the seascape which I decided to add as I had a bit of time to play with it.

IMG_3051.jpg

The sea is textured watercolour paper. The waves are made by supporting the paper on lengths of cocktail stick. As I had fixed the hull to the base before cutting out the paper there is a split at the stern but this will be hidden when I add some texture. The gaps around the hull will be filled with cotton wool. I haven't yet tried to model a rough seas or a decent bow wave so this one will be another test bed.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

• Like 2