Bangor Lad's Boatyard

Not had much time for modelling lately but I've been able to get some work done on the Meng Models Lexington.

DSCF3955.jpg

Although the hull isn't finished yet I wanted to get her on her base and make a start on the sea. Plenty still to do but this is a great exercise to get in some practice.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Bangor Lad
  • Like 4

Had a few minutes to add some texture to the base this morning. The texture is a mixture of two types of Galeria gel. One is a smooth structure gel whereas the other has a fine grit in it. This I think gives a good surface if you're trying to represent a wind ruffled finish. It was quite wet when I took the photos but it dries fairly clear. 

DSCF3967.jpg

DSCF3961.jpg

Looking forward to getting on with some weathering.

Cheers

• Like 7

I wasn't too happy with the finish on the sea so I added a layer of Galeria Structure Gel to smooth it out a little.

IMG_2788.jpg

It will probably need one two more coats to even it out a little more before I can add the wake etc.

• Like 5

Had a chance to do a little more to the Lexington.

DSCF2038.jpg

Applied a very thin dark wash to begin bringing out some of the details. Next steps will be some highlighting on the raised detail then it will on to the flightdeck and the air group. Hope to be able to move on to the seascape then we'll nearly be there!

Cheers

• Like 2

Made a start on the flight deck markings. These came from a GMM set.

DSCF2238.jpg

I applied a coat of Valejo gloss varnish and started by applying the flight deck lines.

DSCF2244.jpg

Then I applied the flight deck numbers.

DSCF2247.jpg

DSCF2249.jpg

The decals went down quite well but I have had to use some Micro Sol to help them settle down into the engraved details.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kris B said:

Those white lines was as one strips or each piece separately? 

Hi Chris

Yes, the flight deck lines comes as strips although I needed two lengths for the full length. I used some narrow masking tape as a guide for them.

Cheers

On 27 September 2017 at 6:12 PM, beefy66 said:

Great work with the PE I think I would have to lie down to after those tiny details. :blink:

beefy

Thanks. Must admit I was a little weary by the time they were finished. All good though :D

They are pretty small but it's a well deigned etch and they go together pretty quickly once you get into a rhythm.

Also made some progress with the Tamiya USS Enterprise CV6. This is pretty much out of the box but with some extra detail from the Eduard etched set.

DSCF2291.jpg

I've left most of the hanger deck shutters open so I added a deck from some spare plasticard.

DSCF2305.jpg

Also started to add some of the etched details to the island. I've not tried to correct any of the errors to the kit. Hopefully this will be a reasonably quick build.

Cheers

• Like 2

Started fixing the railings to the hangar deck walkways and openings. These are from the Eduard set and to be honest I'm not a fan of them. I much prefer the design used by GMM and Starling where there is an extra bottom 'rail' which makes them much easier to fit and makes for a stronger bond. The brass used by Eduard is a heavier gauge too so I find it not as forgiving as the thinner GMM etch.

DSCF2443.jpg

DSCF2452.jpg

I've also had a 'play' at fading the hull colour with a light airbrushing of some pale grey. A lot more to do yet though!

DSCF2449.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Bangor Lad

I was struggling with fitting the hull railings to my Enterprise so came up with this little jig to support the hull at a comfortable angle. Necessity being the mother of invention and all that :) 

DSCF2455.jpg

DSCF2454.jpg

• Like 1