Fairey Firefly Mk V - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Ouch - that Decalfix....OUCH!! Think I have a bottle of that somewhere. Think I shall lob it in the bin next time I see it!

But another victory for you to chalk up in the seemingly never ending battle against obstinate kits and recalcitrant decals!

Keith

• Like 1

Looking really nice. I had a similarly unpleasant experience with Decalfix on a MisterCraft kit a few months back - went through Kleer, and sprayed Tamiya IJN Grey. Thankfully it stopped at the Halford's rattlecan primer otherwise I'd have been staring a pale blue plastic! I am very reluctant to ever use it again to be honest.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

...but don't the NO STEP markings suggest you have the stripes on back to front?  More likely they wouldn't want Grubbers standing on the flaps...?

There is a stencil in that position, can only just make it out in some pictures.  I think it says 'no step', but can't confirm.

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks JR - I'll think about moving the 'No Step' transfers... right, thought about it and decided to save my sanity!

..as above, I wouldn't move it.

Edit, can confirm, on some aircraft it says 'no step keep off'

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Ced, it looks like you have another fine build to hang from your ceiling.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - kind of you. She'll look good next to the Sea Fury :)

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Looks as if once again Ced rises to rise again  :thumbsup:

nice work and good man keeping the faith

A star performance again

Thanks Bill - very kind of you Sir :)

15 hours ago, giemme said:

Mighty fine job with those decals, Ced! :clap::worthy: I'm slightly envious...

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, nice of you to say so. I think she's turned out OK given my lack of modelling focus of late :)

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ouch - that Decalfix....OUCH!! Think I have a bottle of that somewhere. Think I shall lob it in the bin next time I see it!

But another victory for you to chalk up in the seemingly never ending battle against obstinate kits and recalcitrant decals!

Keith

15 hours ago, clive_t said:

Looking really nice. I had a similarly unpleasant experience with Decalfix on a MisterCraft kit a few months back - went through Kleer, and sprayed Tamiya IJN Grey. Thankfully it stopped at the Halford's rattlecan primer otherwise I'd have been staring a pale blue plastic! I am very reluctant to ever use it again to be honest.

Thanks Keith and Clive - kind of you. :) I've not had the Decalfix problem before, perhaps it's the Mr Hobby. I actually like it for new Airfix decals so I won't give up quite yet. 

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I prescribe copious quantities of real ale as a restorative. :beer:

Martian

Thanks Martian - Gs&T were had last night!

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking really good Ced.

pop a bit more sol on to rid those few wrinkles and you're good to go. 

Jont

Thanks Jont - done! Helped a bit... but they're not going to be as good as painted, lesson learnt!

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

There is a stencil in that position, can only just make it out in some pictures.  I think it says 'no step', but can't confirm.

..as above, I wouldn't move it.

Edit, can confirm, on some aircraft it says 'no step keep off'

Thanks James, good to know that Airfix got it (nearly) right!

As Johnny suggested I blobbed on some more Daco strong and also carefully cut down the flap seam:

32557882333_8a610f3022_z.jpg

followed by some MicroSol. Finally ready, after a spray with W&N satin (thinned 50/50 with water), for fixing the bits:

33245483461_76583eacde_z.jpg

Calling this one done now so in RFI here.

As always thanks to everyone for your help, support and companionship during this and apologies for a somewhat distracted WiP. I've not had the patience I should have had with this one but hopefully work and life will settle down and I can concentrate on the important things!

De Havilland Hornet next in the current GB. I'll post a link later.

• Like 12

Thanks John :D 

Thanks Adrian :) Nope, I'll be going back to my... oh no, wait, Hornet, 1948... yes! But I think the Hornet might be it for a while.

Thanks Johnny, especially for your help on the transfers :) 

Thanks Cookie - getting there! I think the first trick is 'don't use the decals'!

Must get some tape from somewhere... I know PC found some D-day stripe width at 3M... perhaps they do Korean too.