Fairey Firefly Mk V - Airfix 1/72

CedB

When I was building my Sea Fury recently Phil ( @HP42 ) posted that he also had one part built along with a Firefly. I replied that I'd like a Firefly and Phil, very kind man that he is, asked if I'd 'help with his stash reduction problem' and sent me his duplicate. Thanks Phil - really appreciated.

This will be by next build and here's some nostalgia for you:

195333-12328-79-pristine.jpg

There are several builds here on BM (some of them finished) including Pat's ( @JOCKNEY ) recent restart WiP where Phil also showed the current state of his.

Nice examples also finished by Tim and Nomore Shelfspace.

Encouraged by Phil I've also bought the Airwaves PE set. Building wheels up and wings out as usual so if someone would like the remaining PE bits after I've finished PM me and it's yours.

Sprues are out on the bench and I'll be tinkering with this while I wait for bits to dry on the Avia B-71.

I'm not going to tempt fate again by saying that I'm looking for an easy build. That said it will be OOB as the Korean scheme for WB271 as 204, No. 812 Sqn in 1951.

She'll look great next to the Sea Fury. Hopefully.

• Like 21

Hi Keith, Simon, Clive, Giorgio, snapper, allyby and John - welcome all! Do please take a seat and 'the performance' will begin soon(ish) :) 

Hi Benedikt and thanks for the link - a diorama of the box art! Great stuff.

• Like 3

Welcome Ragtag, Stu, PC, Rob, Ian and Adrian - good to have you along.

Thanks for the link Benedikt - now on my desktop!

What about those stripes eh? Can I use the kit transfers, which are near the wing split, or did she have 'Korean stripes' further out on the wing like the Sea Fury? This worried me:

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph
BRITISH AIRCRAFT PATROL OFF NORTH KOREA. AUGUST 1950, ON BOARD THE CARRIER HMS TRIUMPH OPERATING WITH THE BRITISH TASK FORCE OFF THE KOREAN COAST. FIREFLY AND ROCKET CARRYING SEAFIRE AIRCRAFT OPERATING FROM HMS TRIUMPH HIT THE NORTH KOREAN SUPPLY ROUTES FAR BEHIND THE FRONT LINE.. © IWM (A 31702)IWM Non Commercial Licence

and then I found this:

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph
ON BOARD HMS OCEAN DURING OPERATIONS IN KOREAN WATERS. 10 JULY 1952.. © IWM (A 32250)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Kit transfers it is - phew!

• Like 11

That first one was one of those Lancaster front ended looking early marks Ced not one of these beautiful mk Vs

Oh

Did I mention I'll be hanging around?

Ah sorry, most remiss of me...

I love the Firefly

Keith get the beer in mate

• Like 4

Thanks Dave and welcome :)

Hi Boss - glad to have you along and set one up for me please - pinta bitta :)

I should say at this point that if you want the low-down on Fireflys (Fireflies?) then Bill (Navy Bird) built a FR.1 and TT.4 here with input from Steve Long, beautiful RFI here.

i aspire to Bill's modelling but in the meantime I will bash away at the kits. Soon.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, perdu said:

Keith get the beer in mate

Will you save some Ale for a foreign friend too? :beer:  :D 

(Stout'd be good too  - in fact I love that black stuff)

Ciao

• Like 5

Eww. You think they'd clean this place up a bit in here between shows. It's bad enough wading through all that popcorn over the floor..and as for some of the other patrons, well it's just best not to look, I think some of them smuggle strong drink in...at least the adverts are still on and I haven't missed the main feature:

Good luck with this handsome aircraft Ced. Airwaves? I can't look...:drunk:

Tony

• Like 4