Fairey Firefly Mk V - Airfix 1/72

CedB

2 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

You gotta fold da wings! Instructions here

Cheers,

Bill

No way! Every time you write instructions I end up lying under leaky old aeroplanes is assorted muck and mank!

• Like 4

Just now, NAVY870 said:

No way! Every time you write instructions I end up lying under leaky old aeroplanes is assorted muck and mank!

Could be worse - you could be working on a Sea Fury.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

3 hours ago, perdu said:

That first one was one of those Lancaster front ended looking early marks Ced not one of these beautiful mk Vs

That'd be an FR Mk I, I reckon. ;)  I first built this kit longer ago than I'm going to admit to & then later converted it (roughly) to an FR Mk.I. I've another in my stock but will happily just watch this for now. Press on Ced. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

Dang it! Late to the party again! Watching and joining in at home with my own version. General synopsis of the kit it that it goes together quite well if a little rivet strewn. Airwaves etch adds much to the final outcome but I have no idea what the decals bring. I'll dust mine off and run with the pack to finish it. 😆

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

OK, will do, everybody want pork scratchings too? Or cheese & onion crisps....

K

No nibbles for me mate, tell you what, While you are at the bar bring me a couple of pints

I detect the usual long drawn out, nothing happening for days CedB offering

Oh no my mistake, I was  thinking of the lad in Mich who goes gallopabout so often

Ced please accept my 'umble apolopsery please

Keith, it's oke I'll just have the one

That Golden Hen is quite mmm, adequate or better

;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Will you save some Ale for a foreign friend too? :beer:  :D 

(Stout'd be good too  - in fact I love that black stuff)

Ciao

Of course Giorgio and welcome!

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Eww. You think they'd clean this place up a bit in here between shows. It's bad enough wading through all that popcorn over the floor..and as for some of the other patrons, well it's just best not to look, I think some of them smuggle strong drink in...at least the adverts are still on and I haven't missed the main feature:

[Weiner video censored]

Good luck with this handsome aircraft Ced. Airwaves? I can't look...:drunk:

Tony

Thanks Tony and welcome. I apologise for the state of the auditorium but we're having trouble with the staff at the moment... 

That hot dog video reminds me of something... can't put me hand on it at the moment... (fnaar fnaar!)

Welcome Martian, Glynn and Steve Hnz, great to have you aboard!

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

You gotta fold da wings! Instructions here

Cheers,

Bill

2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Thanks Bill and Steve - glad to have you along. Don't worry Steve, there's no way I'll be attempting to do anything complicated... and I certainly won't get anywhere near Bill's attention to detail or modelling skills. The wings will have to be out otherwise she'll look daft in her place on the ceiling (see below).

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Can't wait to see this together Ced, and the RFI pics must be taken with Sea Fury nearby.

Thanks Cookie and welcome - she has a space reserved next to the Sea Fury:

33075146976_85091f1f18_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

OK, will do, everybody want pork scratchings too? Or cheese & onion crisps....

K

Thanks Keith - scratchings for me please and damn the diet!

53 minutes ago, HP42 said:

Dang it! Late to the party again! Watching and joining in at home with my own version. General synopsis of the kit it that it goes together quite well if a little rivet strewn. Airwaves etch adds much to the final outcome but I have no idea what the decals bring. I'll dust mine off and run with the pack to finish it. 😆

Here's Phil! Welcome, thanks again for the kit (very kind) and do feel free to join in!

46 minutes ago, perdu said:

I detect the usual long drawn out, nothing happening for days CedB offering

Oh no my mistake, I was  thinking of the lad in Mich who goes gallopabout so often

Ced please accept my 'umble apolopsery please

Apology accepted Bill! I hope you don't mind me squashing up the quote of your post - it's getting crowded.

I've started, in earnest. Here's Earnest and his pal Archie:

33074871306_d9b18d12b6_z.jpg

Both have now been cleaned up and given their base coat of 'Ratskin Flesh'. I'm not sure if the pilot is wearing a onesie or if his trousers are a bit baggy, but I'll ignore that I think and get on with the model. Anyone else think that Archie looks a bit like Twiki and Dr Theopolis from 'Buck Rogers'?

Oh alright, it's getting late so we DO need something to encourage sweet dreams:

You've got to admire the wardrobe people and, of course, the cameraman. He even got her face in some shots.

• Like 15

Good choice Ced :thumbsup2: .

One of my all time favourite Airfix kits, of one of my all time favourite aircraft, with one of my favourite pieces of box art :)!

Apparently one of these shot down a MiG too :o!

There's some interesting stuff on 'Fireflies on poles' and so on here:

http://forum.aussiemodeller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1026&sid=5747359aaeba3568af658e665e06a36c

Folded wings and wheels up isn't really an option is it :D?

Sat in the middle near the serving hatch with the tea and ice cream ladies. Need to be first for the intermission choc-ice :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

An interesting thread on Aussiemodeller that Tony. I recall that while I was at Uni in Dunedin, in 1973/74, I went along to the AHSNZ (Aviation Historical Society of New Zealand) meetings & there met a gentleman with some slides of the Firefly up the pole in Griffith. He loaned them to me to get some prints taken off & to my mortification, the photolab spilt some chemical on one of them. I was embarrassed beyond words but nothing I could realistically do about it other than apologise profusely. I still squirm when I think of it. That was after I built that kit OOB but before I converted it.

Steve.

• Like 3

Thanks Steve.

Thanks TT - I'm not a member on Aussie Modeller and the link keeps asking me to login/register. Oddly I can search for posts and see them... perhaps the thread is locked?

Thanks Steve - ah, Dunedin, nice peaceful place (or it was when I went about 20 years ago!) Great story about the photos; easy, in this day and age, to forget how precious photos were... no photocopiers and certainly no scanners. Hopefully the negative was safe somewhere.

PE this morning - oh joy. I keep thinking I should buy a folding tool of some sort, then I think "I don't like doing PE, and they're expensive" so I make do with scalpels, which is probably why I don't like doing PE much. The circle of life.

32279581334_1662f78fb2_z.jpg

I must say I'm impressed by the CA I bought in Lidl - the cap actually works and doesn't gum up and the squeezy bits on the side make it easy to control the flow. Good buy.

As instructed I removed the radio boxes.

33124860595_ecd5a2731b_z.jpg

The instructions then say to use plastic blocks to mount the PE. Hmmm. Probably the wrong size on the kit eh?

I was also confused as to why I had to use plasticard for the i/p rather than the kit part, then I realised that there isn't a kit part. Oops. Out with some .5 card roughly shaped and a circle punched out for the compass:

32742662160_25be7b93d0_z.jpg

33083405016_8838d918d8_z.jpg

I'll shape that and dry-fit when the CA is dried. 

Here we are after that session - two seats (bet the pilots don't fit now), rudder pedals, seat back and i/p.

32742791910_c9d21116b8_z.jpg

Time to rest my eyes.

• Like 14

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

An interesting thread on Aussiemodeller that Tony. I recall that while I was at Uni in Dunedin, in 1973/74, I went along to the AHSNZ (Aviation Historical Society of New Zealand) meetings & there met a gentleman with some slides of the Firefly up the pole in Griffith. He loaned them to me to get some prints taken off & to my mortification, the photolab spilt some chemical on one of them. I was embarrassed beyond words but nothing I could realistically do about it other than apologise profusely. I still squirm when I think of it. That was after I built that kit OOB but before I converted it.

Steve.

Oooh crikey. Not your fault though Steve. Some muppet at the photolab :huh:.

One of the things I find amazing about the Fireflies this side of he globe is the ridiculously low original price for the salvage (airframe). 

One case quoted there is AUD $400 for a complete airframe :o!

If that could still be done I'd buy one and stick it on top of the house.

As it is, for absolutely free (which somehow seems wrong), we can watch Ced make a replica and hang it inside his house.

That will do nicely :).

TonyT

Edit: posts crossed by seconds. Nice work on the Airwaves interior Ced. After 'TheBaron's' experience with Airwaves on the DH twin boomer this looks far more positive :)

TT

• Like 6

Great work on an old classic: one of my favourite Airfix kits from way back when.

Minor point though: shouldn't that compass be twisted round 90 degrees so it's horizontal vice vertical?  Though it doesn't look as if the etch makes that easy for you. 

• Like 2

Thanks TT :)

Hi Nick (Seahawk) and welcome! You're quite right, the compass will get rotated once the backing has been sanded. Thanks for checking - I may well have forgotten!

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

Any space left for me to tag along? One of my favorite from Messrs Airfix and IIRC a fun build. Enjoy!

:drink: + :popcorn:(Caramel flavored) 

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

Of course Christian - welcome!

Compass rotated and backing plastic sanded:

33127893105_370ff5869b_z.jpg

Now to test the fit. i/p dry-fitted to one side with BluTak and the fuselage brought together:

33086429096_5a6a228854_z.jpg

Oh. Rats. I can't sand the PE without losing detail, so I've chiselled out the sidewalls:

33128107925_5d4f701bd4_z.jpg

with dry-fits in between slivers. I had to go as thin as I dared to get this fit:

32746003880_f191cb4ce5_z.jpg

which will have to do. Pain.

• Like 16

Nice work! One could see that Airwaves IP not fitting a mile off though. I don't really know why the big H persists in pedalling this rubbish. In my experience it never, ever fits.

Martian

• Like 5

Looking good with the PE. I like them mostly, especially on 1:72 and inevitable and neccessary on ships. The glue from Lidl is the high class Pattex by Henkel, which is one of the leading brands like UHU, Scotch or Loctite. Will you do some sidewalls (strips) in the cockpit or wouldn't fit that. Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Nice work! One could see that Airwaves IP not fitting a mile off though. I don't really know why the big H persists in pedalling this rubbish. In my experience it never, ever fits.

Martian

59 minutes ago, giemme said:

I'm with Martian about Airwaves PE; I've only used them once for my F-4C build, but I said "never again".

You did a great job, though :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

Uh oh - thanks chaps. i've only just started and now I'm worried that this isn't right either:

32315130653_2e5071e070_z.jpg

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Looking good with the PE. I like them mostly, especially on 1:72 and inevitable and neccessary on ships. The glue from Lidl is the high class Pattex by Henkel, which is one of the leading brands like UHU, Scotch or Loctite. Will you do some sidewalls (strips) in the cockpit or wouldn't fit that. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt - sidewalls are provided with the Airwaves set and have been assembled on the card this afternoon:

32974063112_ee9c4d7684_z.jpg

Of course I'm now wondering if they'll fit... 

Out of patience today, more tomorrow.

• Like 12

Great start Ced and an excellent choice of plane. I'll stand here by the wall like a late parent to a school show.:o

I think Tony had problems with his Airwaves PE fitting on his Cuda. Luckily I have never come across any, the IP looks smart now you have it fitted. Bravo sir.

John. B)

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Love the Firefly (especially the IV on) and always fancied doing this kit.

Looking like a damn fine build so far and will follow with interest.

You will do one of H E Chaplins' prettier designs good justice I reckon!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1