This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

dadofthree

Revell 747 questions

I am currently planning/collecting models/parts for building 3 Revell 747s. The first is a 747-400 in Thai Air livery, second a 747-600 conversion in Gulf Air Livery and thirdly a 747-8i in an as yet undecided scheme. Here's my first question, should I fill the panel lines as they are quite obviously too deep?

Edited by dadofthree
Typo

Most panel lines on real aircraft are only visible up-close or when they start collecting dirt.

A deep panel line on a model would scale out to several inches wide on a real plane - and who the hell would want to board a plane with those kind of gaps between the slabs of sheet metal? :worry:

Each to his own, but I would fill them!

Scott.

I agree with Scott, though sometimes with airliners, due for repaint shortly one can discern not only panels, but even lines of rivets from as far as spotter's platform.

Try the following: put fuselage/wings/tail etc. of your kit near the computer screen. Find good high resolution photos of the subject of your build and scale them up/down so they appear to be the same size as your kit/part of the kit. You may take slight degradation in photo quality into account but generally those panels or details not visible on photos, should not be visible on a model. This rule, however, works only when models are observed from a certain distance. Closer look will reveal lack of details. Still, with models in 1/144 scale, especially those displayed in a glass cabinet, you are fine. Cheers

Jure

When I go to Halfords, apart from gloss white what other colours should I get for my 747s?

24 minutes ago, dadofthree said:

When I go to Halfords, apart from gloss white what other colours should I get for my 747s?

Racking Grey for the "Boeing grey" areas (wings, stabs etc).   You'll find it with the workshop paints which are usually shelved separately from the car paints.  

Remember that you can do "click and collect", certainly at the bigger Halfords branches.  It's a good way to avoid making a journey only to discover that the colour you want is out of stock.