German field artillery

BlackMax12

Two guns, the one with the black tires is a Trumpeter 10.5cm K18 Kanone and the other is a Dragon sFH18 15cm Howitzer.

Pretty detailed kits and they both use the same carriage and limber but the Dragon is more accurate and much finer detail.

Still a ways to go on both though.

J90Tw3y.jpg4mydHxM.jpg5f26EpP.jpgq4hzvCf.jpgfFny4zd.jpg 

• Like 3

Nice job Blackmax, you first pictures looked like the sort of shots you get from model shows of the latest releases. It's been a few years since I've been to med hat, I seem to recall there was a fantastic model/hobby shop in town near a railroad crossing? I could have filled my bags twice over with goodies.

Ozzy

That shop was mostly RC and it's long gone.  The only hobby shop left is up across from the hospital and he's getting more into RC and drones and stuff like that.  Too bad for us static plastic fanatics.

Thanks for the comments, these guns sure have a  load of parts but they look pretty good when you glue them all together.

You must know Suffield and BATUS and the bald cold prairie in February like now.  Lots of snow though, seems like every doggone day for the last week I shovel the driveway.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

its not a good thing for the plastic modeller when shops close or change direction, the Internet doesn't cater for that impulse buy.

its been a while but yes it was a trip to Suffield  that brought me to Med Hat, it was the other end of the year Aug to Nov so a nice summer and then it got cold. It was that cold that high pressure water at the wash downs froze, the U.K. Comes to a grinding halt if there a millimetre let alone what you guys get every year.

got to agree those guns do look good, I've not thought about building one but having seen yours. How can I not have some heavy artillery in my collection.

The Dragon sFH18 15cm howitzer and the Dragon sdKFz 7 tow vehicle mostly complete. I need some fine chain for between the limber and the gun carriage then I can say it's finito.

It sure is a pain to move around though.

JrzUmJA.jpgzQ2KH9I.jpgtz7vPEK.jpgN5jaZbh.jpgWFsEFzG.jpgHAlbnZf.jpghnzXZZv.jpgKn4yHE4.jpgoraZW8K.jpgI1obOrW.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12

Ozzy

As usual the Dragon kit while a little more pricey is much more accurate and the parts are finer and more detailed than the same Trumpeter kit.  I have the Trumpeter 10.5cm Kanone and it uses the same chassis as the 15cm

just a different gun and the Dragon version is much better.  The axle in the Trumpeter kit is about 5mm too long and that makes the carriage too wide and of course you don't really notice until you have them side by side.

Yes the Suffield winters are not fun, especially when it is -32C overnight and the next day it's up to +6C and then 2 days later back down to -25C again.  Welcome to Alberta where the only thing constant about the weather is change.

Oh yes, it snows every month of the year including July and August believe it or not, not every year but we got 8" of snow one August 8th and sure was fun going to work at the Burstall gas plants 100kms up Highway 41.

If the Brits don't train past November here how would they ever deploy to somewhere like Finland or northern Norway??

I remember going to Suffield a few years back when they finally let the public see the Challenger 2 and it was pretty darned impressive.  That shooting and hitting from 30 plus mph is amazing and damned LOUD.

How those tracks stay on with those cowboys turning and weaving as they do at full speed is a good question and it's nice to be able to actually see the tank without all of the blue smoke the old Chieftans used to spit out.  Who needs a smoke screen?

Take care,

Lloyd

Trumpeter K18 10.5cm Kanone in transport mode.  Those are the wicker mats on the limber that they put under the main wheels when firing, they don't really look that much like wicker but it's all I could come up with.

I liked both of these kits and may do another Dragon in firing mode.

IR9nBCf.jpgUPy2Hyh.jpgpFZ4rWs.jpgvIsX1AC.jpgxjPIdy4.jpg3wHOHjt.jpg

• Like 1