Vickers GB

charlie_c67

Just a thought, but after the De Havilland Mega GB, how about one that encompasses all things Vickers? If I've read things right, that would include ships ranging from Subs to aircraft carriers, trains (most (in)famously the Class 28), aircraft and even tanks! What do people think?

For clarity, here are (I think) most of the relevant companies. If you think of any I've missed and can plead a good case then please do...

Air

Vickers (!) 1911-1965

Supermarine 1928-1963

Sea

Anything built at Barrow shipyard between 1897 and 1977, then 1986 and arguably 2007 when Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering Limited became defunct

Anything built in the Tyne shipyard between 1927 and 1977

Land

Metrovick, so such trains as the class 28, 77, 81 and others.

Wolsley 1901-1927

Vickers-Armstrongs 1927-1977 includes such things as Vickers MBT, Valentine and the Cruisers Mk I and Mk II

Rolls-Royce 1980-1998 

Vickers Defence System 1986-2004 which would allow Challenger 1 and 2 tanks

1. Charlie_c67

2. Arniec

3. Grandboof 

4. CliffB

5. Vppelt68

6. PhantomBigStu

7. oldthumper

8. zebra

9. Roland Pulfrew

10. Limeypilot 

Edited by charlie_c67

That's  a wide subject

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_and_submarines_built_in_Barrow-in-Furness

This is just the Barrow-in Furness ships from Vickers and sons - Vickers, Sons and Maxim - Vickers Armstrongs - Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering Limited 

Then  there is the M777 .....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barrovian said:

That's  a wide subject

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_and_submarines_built_in_Barrow-in-Furness

This is just the Barrow-in Furness ships from Vickers and sons - Vickers, Sons and Maxim - Vickers Armstrongs - Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering Limited 

Then  there is the M777 .....

We also built the fh70 and as90 in "the yard".

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not many vickers aircraft I'm interested in, but with the addition of supermarine (I never need much of an excuse to build a spitfire) increases the scope, certiantly a worthy entry to the next vote if others have interest. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On Mon Apr 17 2017 at 0:08 PM, charlie_c67 said:

That a yes limeypilot?

Sure! Any excuse to get going on it. Just need to remember to keep checking here and see when it starts!

Ian