A clutch of phantoms

Eh, sorry guys, but it looks far worse up close. The finish is a sloppy mess. The landing gear looks especially atrocious. Its just goopy and untidey. I'm stripping the paint and starting over. 

Which means I'm putting it away for now. I just don't have the mojo to redo this build right now. Another time. :(

10 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Eh, sorry guys, but it looks far worse up close. The finish is a sloppy mess. The landing gear looks especially atrocious. Its just goopy and untidey. I'm stripping the paint and starting over. 

Which means I'm putting it away for now. I just don't have the mojo to redo this build right now. Another time. :(

What?? Nooooo :cry:

I feel your pain - After the decals decided to shrivel up on mine I lost the mojo for the build too :facepalm:

I think this might be okay.

I was upset with the weird patchy wash effect I got, which made some parts look grubby and dirty, while others were entirely clean. I guess the panel lines just are uneven in depth or something,

Anyway, I typically take a less-is-more approach to 72nd scale, but this time, I think more is more. I really laid on some heavy washes - and over a semi-gloss coat, so that they stuck to the undercoat better. I also used a dark brown tone for the green uppers. 

I'm still not sure I love it, but at least the model is off the shelf of doom, and once again a work in progress.

Not much difference up top. At least not to the camera lens. 

IMG_20170423_214444820_HDR.jpg

But, it really shows up on the light underbelly. 

IMG_20170423_214400088_HDR.jpg

• Like 8

Were that my work I'd be pleased with it. Looks grand to me. The patchy weathering you mentioned doesn't show badly in your photos so must be subtle and therefore is likely more accurate than a uniform overall coating. Sounds to me as if you are on the winning path with this one.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. 

I'm sort of at an impasse when it comes to arming this airplane. 

I stuck two sparrows on the aft bays, but I'm holding off on the forward bays. 

IMG_20170430_214932784_HDR.jpg

I'm still considering throwing the two large LGB weapons under the wing pylons, and if I do that I'll need to put a pave pod (pave spike probably) at one of the forward stations, and maybe I'll do an ECM/ALQ pod in the other. 

I'd need to get one of the Hasegawa's weapon sets to do so. 

BUT

I don't know if such a load would be realistic for a USAFE phantom. 

I've never seen such a thing in photos. But then, I've never seen a USAF phantom photographed with weapons of any kind. 

I also have Hasegawa's AA and AG missiles set, so if any of you could suggest an alternate armament, I'm listening. One thing I don't want to do is the four sparrows four sidewinders setup. 

• Like 1

Looks great - brings back memories - I was bought up in Lakenheath and remember the smokey trails from the F4Ds before the Varks arrived.

Ive never seen any weaponry on the F4Ds on any pics or references, just fuel tanks, ECM pods and travel pods...

F-4D%2065.721%20LN%20LKH%20d%2006.75_zps

My first model back after 25 years was a Lakenhaeth F4D - a bit of a mess but fun!

DSCN1089_zps1aaa2f18.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...