A clutch of phantoms

Perhaps two is not enough to make a clutch, but it's what I've got. I've stalled out on my Jaguar build for now, and feel the small-scale bug biting again, so I conjured up some phantoms (all one needs is goat's blood, backwards chanting, and some baking soda). 

I have a Hasegawa F-4C and a Fujimi FGR.2 

IMG_20170224_180000951_HDR.jpg

I've also got two sets of Truedetails rocket chairs, and have placed an order for two sets of Airwaves Phantom canopy details. 

The plan is to build the FGR.2 as a 92 squadron's XV414 based at Wildenrath, Germany in 1979. For this I'll be using decals in the box, along with some spare 4s from a second Fujimi sheet I found laying around. 

Photo credit: King Cobra 92 https://www.flickr.com/photos/50963614@N03/12057567995/ XV414 Wildenrath 1979

The F-4C will be built as a mid-1970s F-4D from Lakenheath, UK. These aircraft were in S.E.A. scheme, but a few got a bad batch of tan, which turned to a light pea green, as seen in the photo below. I have ordered the Xtradecal sheet from Hannants to make this possible. 

Photo Credit: Fred M (http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&p=705920)

F-4D%2065.721%20LN%20LKH%20a%2023.04.76_

I have some writing to finish first, but wife is out with friends tonight, so I hope to get started later! 

• Like 11

you bet! 

Many of my models have dodgy paint-jobs ;) 

The tricky bit here may be finding an appropriate underside color. Model Master has discontinued its camouflage gray. I often mix Tamiya colors, but for small scale jet models, which get handled a lot after painting (for the wheels and bombs and what not), I like to have the base color be an enamel to make the finish more durable. 

• Like 1

These two will make for some interesting comparisons; Fujimi to Hasegawa and RAF to USAF. The difference between kits in particular intrigues me.

Do you have a particular paint in mind for that green tan?

Not sure yet, Col.

I wanted to show my construction sequence for the Hasegawa kit. It isn't the only way, but this method has minimized the amount of steps and gaps.

First I glue the nose bottom to the wing bottom and insert the little wing root inserts. Any dodgy fit I flood with Mr Surfacer from the inside. This makes the gaps at the edges look like the panel lines they are.

Then I glue the nose halves to the fuselage halves. Perfect fit, this way.

IMG_201l70225_100646347_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

I would like to recommend some ladders for the FGR2 as they really set things off for mine, but Im a little cautious if you get my drift. Worked out well for me in 1/48 and theyre available in 1/72 too for under a fiver.

Fuselage and intakes together. No gaps to fill. Some sanding of the step at the top of each intake, just a touch where the front fuselage meets the back, and along the spine and under the tail.

Still need care, but will obliterate far fewer surface details than otherwise.

IMG_20170225_204029710_HDR.jpg

RPM, I actually have plans to do a 1:48 fgr.2 in barley grey and with bright orange ladders as a splash of color. But obviously, that wouldn't be within context of this build.

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 3

A bit of rudimentary scratch work to bring a bit of added zing (and realism) to this kit. I will not be modeling and details inside, but these doors always drooped open when the gear was down.

Not shown: I have finished rescribing the lost lines on most of the fuselage. Just need get the bits around the nose cone.

IMG_20170302_235956600_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

The cockpit, so far. You can see the decals beginning to yellow.

Thank goodness for Xtradecal!

IMG_20170303_213344431_HDR.jpg

Now I start gluing floor to fuselage. I begin with one side, from afterburner to wing, and try to get a near perfect match. Once that sets, I'll move up to the nose. Once one side is fully cured, I will use super glue to match the fuselage walls to the floor on the other side.

I didn't glue the base of the fuselage side pieces, so that I can bend and stretch them if need be.

• Like 4

Things are taking shape now. After the lower wings had dried I glued on the upper sections. Just a wee bit of filler may be needed at the roots.

You can see Mr Surfacer on the flare door panels, as these weren't on the F-4D.

There is also filler on the bottom of the right intake. This was really the only spot that needed significant filling, using this construction sequence. 

IMG_20170304_221132698_HDR.jpg

14886837458081173229980.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks, At Sea.

The airframe is more or less finished now. I just need to add filler, and sand the little inlet scoops on the side of the nose. 

I began painting the "locust tail" portion of the plane in Tamiya silver spray. Once it sets, I'll mask off the sides and paint the bottom with a stainless steel color. 

IMG_20170305_225045169_HDR.jpg

Its time to begin thinking about what to hang from the wings. Most photos I've seen of Lakenheath Phantoms show them with tanks and practice bomb dispensers. I'm not sure I've ever seen one of those in 1/72. Maybe I'll just do three tanks, and empty wing pylons. 

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 3

Man, you build fast. I like how you've put this one together. I've built quite a few of the Hasegawa Phantoms so far, and I still get steps and seams. I will try your method next time.

I see you're using the F-4C style pod under the radome. I could send you an F-4D type, if it's an important enough detail for you.

Thank you for the offer, Pete. I may take you up on it, but I was going to try building the herpes nose with some epoxy putty. Lets see if I can make it happen, first. 

Build fast? No way - there is still a ton of work left to do. I haven't added any details. A 1:72 cold war jet usually takes me more than a month to finish. 

This is going a little faster because I'm riding a wave of enthusiasm. I'll probably slow down later this month, as I have a lot of conference and work travel coming up. 

I love the looks of freshly painted NMF. Even if this part of the phantom does look like a disgusting insect abdomen 

IMG_20170306_171630720_HDR.jpg

not much difference between the stainless steel and silver this time. I'm not sure why. 

No matter. I'll let this set a few days before masking it to paint the rest of the plane. Might start working on the Fujimi Phantom in the meantime, 

• Like 4

On 25/02/2017 at 03:25, SoftScience said:

The F-4C will be built as a mid-1970s F-4D from Lakenheath, UK. These aircraft were in S.E.A. scheme, but a few got a bad batch of tan, which turned to a light pea green, as seen in the photo below. I have ordered the Xtradecal sheet from Hannants to make this possible. 

Photo Credit: Fred M (http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&p=705920)

Nice!  I plan on one of the same birds actually. :)   My current plan is to build 65-659 (same sheet you have) from the Accurate Miniatures/Monogram kit.

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

Nice!  I plan on one of the same birds actually. :)   My current plan is to build 65-659 (same sheet you have) from the Accurate Miniatures/Monogram kit.

I love that kit. I must have built at least five of them over the years. Revell just redid the -J, but I prefer my phantoms in camouflage.