Cessna O-2A Skymaster (Arii 1/72)

Mario

Hello modellers!
Have managed to finish a build started in back December 2016 and would like to share it with you. It´s another Cessna O-2A Skymaster and I made it in cooperation with Luis Alfonso, since we both discovered having a soft spot for that plane. It´s my fourth 1/72 build of it, having built one Airfix in the early nineties and two Arii in 2005 and 2008. My intention was to improve the Arii kit and Luis Alfonso helped a lot in researching for the project. Most work was invested in vacuumforming a better windscreen and building a new undercarriage from brass sheet, using the Airfix kit as reference. As 1/72 kits of that type have become extremely rare and expensive, have used Arii´s civilian Cessna 337  as a basis as all versions come with two different port sides and all windows necessary for the military version.
Interior detailing consisted in adding a pilot, gunsight, seat belts  and a radio rack in the rear. For the propellers I used my standard technique of small nails in a brass tube, allowing installation after all paintwork is done and  making the props to spin easily. The roof window was cut from clear styrene. Wing pylons were scratchbuild from styrene sheet, rocket pods are from sprue. The model has exhaust pipes from hypodermic needles and open cowl flaps from brass sheet.  For the landing lights chrome foil was used. Additional panel-lines were rescribed and the the upper air intake was opened to give it some depth. After a base coat with Revell Enamel Basic, which BTW is also a formidable clean white, a preshading was applied. For the major paintwork I used for the first time acrylics only. The grey consists of a mix of Tamiya´s sky grey, medium grey and white. All decals are self-printed, even the stencils and the red stripes and circles. To seal them in I used the new Gauzy shine enhancer. Found it worked very well, sprayed as easily as my old Emsal, but appears to have a harder surface, making the wash flow more easily and isnt´t affected by decal softeners. Final assembly consisted of inserting the props, fixing wheels and antennas made from sewing yarn and a hair from a broom.
Hope you like it
                            Mario

ZT8lQnv.jpgZlB2FlK.jpgRIHkLwA.jpg7O3H5Z3.jpgEFwaBJV.jpg

Edited by Mario
  • Like 44

Fantastic job on the Skymaster Mario, especially the transparencies and scratch built weapons and details.

You reminded me I`ve still got to add a Grey one to my collection. :smile:

• Like 2

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Seem you are very happy after ending this one and with a huge lot of reason!!!

I know this true veteran since a huge long time ago, those incarnations of the famous civil aircraft from EIDAI-GRIP / ENTEX / ARII kits are memorable since its very beggining in 1973, as the only ones for civil aircraft were the old and missing Aurora series...obviously, in the line were the spins off from the very popular Cessna 336/337 kits launched then in the form of this O-2A/B variant. I build one for first time in 1981 from the ENTEX brand, then after some years retired from the hobby started again and collected nearly all of them in many guisses, the Aurora, the sorely missed and very wished Airfix kits and even HOBBY CRAFT / IDEA models kit clones  dealing with the subject,  so for me those are nothing more than old friends from the dim past...now own enough. This was also a conversation theme.

This build has a many pleasant time with discussion of which are the relevant details and new techniques learning, a great school, so great that mine is following in the production line and would be the very first project shared here when ended.  That brand kits are now very ellusive formany and the Airfix one is so sorely missing, but without a doubt the ARII kit is a real pleasure to build and have enough room for improvement in any departament, just the kit needs a huge will to do a nice job and after some research and inspiration found in books and other sources, the result for sure won't be nothing less than a masterpiece as your nice build.

Thank yiou very much for sharing and go ahead with your next project that for sure will be another sounding success as this one!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thank you very much Smudge, Alpha Delta 210, Mitchem, Dave, frequentflyer, Russ, Polo and Nephew Luis Alfonso for the positive feedback. As always very much appreciated.

Indeed would like to see more 1/72 kits of this plane available as it´s not too much shelf space consuming and there are a lot of interesting variants, for example a psywar version with leaflet dispensers or in colorful civilian markings. Was very surprised when Luis Alfonso showed me the variety of different reboxings of the kit as I only knew the Arii wich was already hard to find. Would like to see a re-release of the Airfix kit. Perhaps there is a representative reading this post...

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Hello,Mario - Well,my friend,I knew it wouldn't be long before a visit to Kempen Air Base would be on the cards!

With your hallmark expertise,here's another beautifully built,detailed and finished model.This Cessna is a work of art.The extra work bestowed also sets this model apart and is an absolute credit to you.Great result!

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 2

Hi Paul!

Thank you very much for your kind words. As always very much appreciated! Seems that my projects take longer and longer each time. No idea if it´s perfectionism or simply age:)!

Have a nice Saturday my friend!

Mario

Edited by Mario
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Mario said:

Hi Paul!

Thank you very much for your kind words. As always very much appreciated! Seems that my projects take longer and longer each time. No idea if it´s perfectionism or simply age:)!

Mario

HEY: ITS EXPERTISE!!!

As you are testing a huge lot of tricks, hints and tips, old and new; and many new paint combinations and finishing materials than before...and adding more fuel to the fire, obviously a little more research and talk with other people dealing with the same trouble and kits...you see???.....

jajaja

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Mario said:

Thank you very much Smudge, Alpha Delta 210, Mitchem, Dave, frequentflyer, Russ, Polo and Nephew Luis Alfonso for the positive feedback. As always very much appreciated.

Indeed would like to see more 1/72 kits of this plane available as it´s not too much shelf space consuming and there are a lot of interesting variants, for example a psywar version with leaflet dispensers or in colorful civilian markings. Was very surprised when Luis Alfonso showed me the variety of different reboxings of the kit as I only knew the Arii wich was already hard to find. Would like to see a re-release of the Airfix kit. Perhaps there is a representative reading this post...

Cheers,

Mario

OR maybe Jan from KP/AZ thinking of ots worth to add another one with many variants for the benefit of lovers of Cessna aircraft and civil planes...or Great Wall thinking in 1/72 subjects...but well, I think we will be very happy with Airfix oldie with new versions... 

Cheers!!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mario said:

Hi Paul!

Mario

Hello,Mario - You're more than welcome.Looking at that great model, I'll choose the diplomatic route and go for your perfectionism! 😇

🍻😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

HEY: ITS EXPERTISE!!!

As you are testing a huge lot of tricks, hints and tips, old and new; and many new paint combinations and finishing materials than before...and adding more fuel to the fire, obviously a little more research and talk with other people dealing with the same trouble and kits...you see???.....

jajaja

Thank you for your brilliant analysis. Forgot that "other people" who is without doubt guilty for slower pace but more modelling fun on the way. Nevertheless hope the little Cessna will write aviation history as the first finished over the pond build with two results!

1 hour ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Mario - You're more than welcome.Looking at that great model, I'll choose the diplomatic route and go for your perfectionism! 😇

🍻😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

I thank you for your politeness, Paul! In fact that is the reason why I joined Britmodeller!:)

• Like 2

Superb Cessna!

Great work on such a small plane, and you even vac-formed the transparencies?! Top marks for attempting that, even with the hi-tech equipment you are using! Are you using as well a candle Mk II, or a gas cooker burner Mk V?

Brilliant job and congrats!

JR

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jean said:

Superb Cessna!

Great work on such a small plane, and you even vac-formed the transparencies?! Top marks for attempting that, even with the hi-tech equipment you are using! Are you using as well a candle Mk II, or a gas cooker burner Mk V?

Brilliant job and congrats!

JR

Hi Jean!

Thank you for your interest in my Cessna and vacuumformer! The vacuumformer is a high tech device from the Mr Q skunk works laboratories. Heat source comes from the kitchen stove and suction from the vacuum cleaner. Only investments were the wing nuts. The roof window  of the Cessna is from a box containing razor blades as I have discovered that this material reacts with plastic cement for a better bond. Greetings to the hippos!

Mario

IMG_0307_zpsrji3bsqe.jpg

Edited by Mario
  • Like 1