Duxford American air museum b-17G

gunpowder17

The last time I looked it had a serial number on the tail but nothing else. If my memory serves me correctly I think the intention is that it is to be generic to represent all B-17s and not a single unit or aircraft. ...I think....probl'y....  ;)

That serial (42-38133) matches one of the 300 camouflaged, Douglas built B-17s that left the factory with the staggered waist gun arrangement and Cheyenne tail turret fitted as standard.

It was assigned to the 96th Bomb Group at Snetterton Heath, and went on to carry the fuselage codes AW - O. It was also given the nose art 'The Reluctant Dragon' and thus I wonder if it'll be applied to the Duxford B-17 in due course.

This aircraft has been restored in OD/NG as the fuselage had many modifications whilst in service with the French IGN and would have involved a lot of re-skinning had it been restored in NMF as it was when it left the factory.

Tom

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomprobert said:

That serial (42-38133) matches one of the 300 camouflaged, Douglas built B-17s that left the factory with the staggered waist gun arrangement and Cheyenne tail turret fitted as standard.

It was assigned to the 96th Bomb Group at Snetterton Heath, and went on to carry the fuselage codes AW - O. It was also given the nose art 'The Reluctant Dragon' and thus I wonder if it'll be applied to the Duxford B-17 in due course.

This aircraft has been restored in OD/NG as the fuselage had many modifications whilst in service with the French IGN and would have involved a lot of re-skinning had it been restored in NMF as it was when it left the factory.

Tom

Cheers Tom,......be nice if they finished the paint job off with codes and nose art wouldn`t it,

Tony