B.P. Defiant Mk.I 1/48 Airfix

My second completion for 2017, an out of the box build of the relatively new Airfix 1/48th B.P. Defiant Mk.I, finished in the provided markings of a Defiant used in late 1940 for trials on the suitability of the Defiant for use as an Army Co-operation aircraft by No.II(AC) Squadron at RAF Hatfield Woodhouse in South Yorkshire.  The trials were conducted around the same time No.II(AC) Squadron was also given a Fairy Battle to trial its suitability as an Army Co-operation aircraft.  Both types were judged by the experienced ACC pilots who had seen active service in France as in many ways being a step backwards from the Westland Lysander, particularly in the downwards view for both pilot and observer, but marginally better in relation to speed and relative manoeuvrability if compared against single seat fighters.

I found this to be a relatively easy and trouble free build, especially utilising some of the points made by earlier builder and reviews here on Britmodeller - avoided possible pitfalls or issues.

Main upper surface camouflage paint colours are WEM enamels, with an old, old, old Humbrol 'Sky' enamel for the underside, with a mix of Humbrol and Tamiya enamels for the detail painting.  Used a set of Montex masks for the canopy and turret masking.  Camo masks were self made.

So another one completed for my collection of RAF Army Co-operation aircraft.  I have a CA Fairy Battle in 1/48 that I am battling through to build the other aircraft trialled by No.II(AC) Squadron in late 1940.

Defiant%201_zpsw4ojbaey.jpg

Defiant%202_zpsjnp1yeel.jpg

Defiant%203_zpssaco02es.jpg

Defiant%204_zps4znhnjc6.jpg

Defiant%205_zpsrrj5msij.jpg

Defiant%206_zpso1hronuj.jpg

Defiant%207_zpsbkojghbw.jpg

Defiant%208_zpsyrl6j74q.jpg

More RAF ACC and Tac/R subjects to come.

• Like 17

Nicely done and one of my favourite Defiant schemes too, I thought that they would have been a big improvement over the Lysander,...... but then the Tomahawk was on the horizon,

Cheers

Tony