The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Great update Giemme. Beautifully detailed modelling as always. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thanks! :thumbsup:  You're very supportive, as always

2 hours ago, Leonl said:

Nice update... Great work.

Thanks Leon, glad you like it :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

Great Stuff Giorgio :thumbsup2: . I like the step by step photographs :).

What you have done is quite tricky modellling. Superb attention to detail, A lot of patience with good results.

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Excellent work on the variable incidence tail fairings Giorgio.  Fascinating update.

I've used milliput to make moulds of canopies for vac forming (by pressing the milliput inside an injection moulded original) - but not tried to mould parts like that.  Duly noted :)

Of course now you'll have to remind us at the end of the build that the gap between the fairing and the fuselage is realistic and meant to be there and not just an uncharacteristic lack of attention to detail.........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Great Stuff Giorgio :thumbsup2: . I like the step by step photographs :).

What you have done is quite tricky modellling. Superb attention to detail, A lot of patience with good results.

All best regards

TonyT

Cheers Tony, thank you :thumbsup: I always found SBS to be very useful, both as a reader and as a "maker" :)

33 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Excellent work on the variable incidence tail fairings Giorgio.  Fascinating update.

I've used milliput to make moulds of canopies for vac forming (by pressing the milliput inside an injection moulded original) - but not tried to mould parts like that.  Duly noted :)

Of course now you'll have to remind us at the end of the build that the gap between the fairing and the fuselage is realistic and meant to be there and not just an uncharacteristic lack of attention to detail.........

Thank you Steve and welcome on board :thumbsup:

When you use milliput for canopies, how do you remove it from the injected original? Isn't it sticking to it? I thought of that use too, but never tried...

As for the fairings, the plan is to pose them slightly off, painting also the small red alignment arrows, so one knows it was made on purpose ... :coolio:

Ciao

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, giemme said:

When you use milliput for canopies, how do you remove it from the injected original? Isn't it sticking to it? I thought of that use too, but never tried...

Haven't had the problem of the milliput sticking Giorgio.  After the milliput is dried I've just sanded it to back to the edge of the canopy and popped it out with some gentle pressure - fractionally pulling the canopy apart to break any seal.  I've only done it with simple shapes tho'.  See what I mean (sorry for the drift).

IMG_3455_zps3fwivebq.jpg

Canopies%203_zps9lcbu1lo.jpg

IMG_3470_zpsxmjrknlf.jpg

IMG_3476_zpsdtxkhsru.jpg

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, giemme said:

Is that white (fine) Milliput you used there?

Yes - I can't say that it's my favourite material.  I'm always worried that I'm not going to get the proportions or mixing right; and used like this as a master for vac moulding I found that the surface needed quite a bit of attention to get it smooth enough to use.  Little air bubbles, slight roughness etc.  But it worked ok with a bit of perserverence.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Fritag said:

Yes - I can't say that it's my favourite material.  I'm always worried that I'm not going to get the proportions or mixing right; and used like this as a master for vac moulding I found that the surface needed quite a bit of attention to get it smooth enough to use.  Little air bubbles, slight roughness etc.  But it worked ok with a bit of perserverence.

I've only been using the regular grey-yellow one, so far, but recently acquired the white one (for fine details on figures, you know). I'll do a test with both with some scrap canopies ... :hmmm: 

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Top job there. Very impressive modelling going on.:clap2:

John

Cheers John, thank you :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

How about a Friday afternoon update, to prepare for the weekend? :coolio:

Time to remove the molded tailplane fairings from the C205, bu tthis time I wanted to be less "invasive", and used a finer razor saw:

dav

This of course left a residual to be removed, so I started by scraping off the big part of the exceeding plastic with the scraping gizmo, and sanding flat with a sanding block and a 400 grit sandpaper

dav

Leveling done with my ETS (400 and 600 grit):

dav

and finished with a nail sanding stick

dav

Dry fit of the corresponding tailplane

dav

dav

All the process was repeated for the other fuselage half, this time with a little dent to correct:

dav

PPP to the rescue here:

dav

and a dry fit again:

dav

dav

Happy :) 

Remaining on the C205, but on a different subject; reading the various builds and reviews I could find on Internet, an often recurring topic is the fuselage accuracy of the Hasegawa moulds (concerning both the C202 and C205, as they're basically the same mould); @Giorgio N  was so kind to supply me with a lot of documentation about these subjects, among which the Ali e Colori issue dedicated to the Aermacchi C202 and C205. This contains some scale drawings of both models taht I used to compare with the kit fuselage halves:

dav

The official Assembling Handbook for the C205 indicates an overall length, from the tip of the spinner to the tail cone, of 8845 mm, which in 1:48 scales to roughly 184mm. That is the length I can measure on the printed paper above, so it looks like a pretty good match, to me. 

Opposite side:

dav

The only real issue I see is in the back part of the cockpit aperture; I'll have to dryfit the canopy and windshield (and cockpit interiors) to see if there's anything I can do to correct this.

One more thing about the fuselage length: in the same assembling handbook and other official sources, the overall length is reported in different values, like 8850 (which still scales down to roughly 184mm) and another value which I can't remember now; bottom line, I'm not claiming to be conclusive with my little analysis, but I'm happy enough with the kit (I'll do the same checks on the C202 fuselage, anyway)

A couple other modification required for the C205: the molded rudder is suitable for a C202, while for the C205 it should be like this (see the green circle in next pic):

dav

Easy fix, but I'll do that once the fuselage halves are joined. Another thing, which is specific for a C205 Serie I, is this hatch (see red and green arrows):

dav

this can also be seen in pictures of the real subject; it's in the wrong place and it has the wrong shape too (both port and starboard, btw), so I'll have to correct that.

That's it; comments welcome, and have a good WE everybody.

Ciao

Edited by giemme
Forgot to mention my source!
  • Like 12

18 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Ooooh, bonus Friday update! The fairings turned out perfect Giemme.

:D Cheers Cookie, thanks :thumbsup: I'm happy with the fairings, although I suspect the primer coat will reveal a few touch ups to do. Will see.

Ciao

• Like 1

Another lesson in class today.

Well laid out Giemme, even the thickest of folk (me) can understand.

As for plans, well it depends who has drawn them I suppose.

It was noted that factory plans of planes could and did differ depending on the manufacturer .

One type built by several companies did vary.

Simon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spookytooth said:

As for plans, well it depends who has drawn them I suppose.

It was noted that factory plans of planes could and did differ depending on the manufacturer .

One type built by several companies did vary.

Exactly, hence why I said I wasn't claiming to be exhaustive on the subject :thumbsup2:  Furthermore, the plans I posted are a resized copy of a scan, and I very much doubt that the horizontal/vertical proportion was strictly maintained by the non-professional devices I used for that ... :coolio:  As I said, I'm happy enough for the time being :) 

Ciao

• Like 1

The matter of the length of the Hasegawa fuselage halves is not easy... I'm sure you've seen this build:

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArticles/MC205/RiccardoTrotta/MC205_1a.html

Here the well known Italian modeller Riccardo Trotta discussed a number of issues and found the Hasegawa fuselage too short.

I had a chat on a forum with Riccardo regarding the smaller 1/72 "brother" and he pointed to me a number of inaccuracies in the fuselage sections, particularly in the area behind the cockpit. For the 1/72 scale kit, Mister Kit issued a correction set that does not modify the fuselage length but has a more accurate depiction of this area. Mind, talking 1/72 here, don't know how the 1/48 scale kit compare to this but a quick look at your picture shows that the shape differs somewhat from the drawings in the Ali d'Italia book. The problem is that it's not easy to modify these areas, not easy at all ! On my 1/72 Mc.202 I decided to retain the original fuselage shapes and in the meantime I've purchased the Mister kit set

• Like 3

Thanks G, @Gene K sent me the link to that build last week or so. As you say, there are some shape issues with the Hasegawa kit, which like you I'm not going to attempt correcting; the overall length, though, doesn't seem that off to me, even taking into account all the approximations of my analysis. The cockpit aperture does bother me a bit more, but I will see what can be done when I do a dry fit with windshield and canopy.

Thanks again

Ciao

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Amazing work on the tail. Looking like it's going to be nice again.:clap2:

johnny.

Hopefully so, Johnny :coolio: Thank you :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Definitely keep this thread in mind when I (eventually) get to mine!

Cheers Thom216, welcome on board :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

Hi everybody, here's my usual WE progress report :winkgrin:  Not much time for modelling last WE, actually, bu there we go:

a quick recap on what has to be removed/filled in on the C202 fuselage (red marks):

dav

And here they are, right after scraping/filling/sanding etc:

dav

dav

I did a dry fit of the Eduard brassin exhausts:

dav

dav

Looking good, don't they?

So then I could focus on cockpit parts without fearing to knock tiny little bits off from handling the fuselage halves (last famous words ... :chair: )

Sidewalls glued in place with some CA:

dav

Port side: there's a lamp on top left supplied as resin part, plus three little levers as PE, hope you can see them:

dav

The trim cable was scratch build from copper wire; I was going to add the trim wheel too, but I realized it would have been too much in the way when detail painting, so I'll fit it later.

dav

Starboard, another lamp and one PE handle/lever

dav

Not much, as I said. Comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 12