The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

IT looks likes cheesecake to me

Now that you mention it, it really looks like that :D I wouldn't dare eat it, though ... :frantic:  :puke: 

Ciao

• Haha 2

On 02/10/2017 at 9:51 AM, giemme said:

Had to deal with an annoying back-ache

A reminder of our age Giorgio...........hope it,s bette4 now a few days have passed.

On 02/10/2017 at 9:51 AM, giemme said:

I was luckily able to put everything back in the original places, but I fear I'll have to do some tricky paint touch ups on top of the IP.

Good save.  ‘Handling error’ is after all the cause of most aviation crashes.........

9 hours ago, giemme said:

I then did several degassing cycles putting the mould inside a chamber vacuum machine

Vacuum degassing? There - I just knew you’d take casting on a level :)

9 hours ago, giemme said:

after removing the masters

Well - the masters didn’t get stuck in the RTV - that’s a good start :)

Looking forward to seeing the resin copies :thumbsup:

Edited by Fritag

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

A reminder of our age Giorgio....

You're so right ... :sad:

Much better now anyway, this evening I could go swimming without too much trouble. Thanks :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Handling error’ is after all the cause of most aviation crashes.........

:D Also very true :D

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Vacuum degassing? There - I just knew you’d take casting on a level :)

Advantages of being a vacuum machines producer :coolio: A link to what I used:

http://www.valko.com/eng/prodotto.php?cc=625

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Well - the masters didn’t get stuck in the RTV - that’s a good start :)

They actually came out pretty easy - this stuff seems to be pretty good, plus you supplied very good advice :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody, usual WE progress report.

The resin experiment turned out quite successful, but let's see some about it: the first resin casting attempt wasn't that good

dav

dav

A big air bubble on the smaller aileron outer side, and a small one on the larger aileron. But also another one on the trailing edge

dav

The second attempt went much better :) ; basically, I kept squeezing and tapping the mould until most of the air bubbles were released

dav

Only a tiny one on both inner corners, but easy to fix. Here's a comparison of the two attempts

dav

The casting shows some imperfection due to the masters not being the best thing ever. Anyway, here are the ailerons after filling the bubbles and the unwanted seams with CA and some sanding and polishing

dav

dav

I then removed the molded ailerons from the top and bottom wings

dav

dav

dav

Most of the plastic was removed with the Dremel chopping bit, then refined using files and various grades of sandpaper; more refining will be needed once the wings are glued together.

Here's the whole lot

dav

The bottom wings needed some preparation before mating them with the upper parts; first off, I test fitted the wheel legs to find the proper placement for their actuator arms

dav

and I glued them in with CA gel, to allow for a bit more time for adjustment

dav

dav

Then I also glued in the fake engine holding structure, basically two steel rods brush painted with Lifecolor Matt Natural Metal

dav

dav

The water radiator on the C205 is rather different than the kit offering, under many aspects. I'll point them out as I go, but one of them is the aft flap actuator, which is actually formed by two parts rather than a singular, central one.

So this hole had to be filled

dav

which I did with some sprue leftover, and then cut and sanded level

dav

I eventually glued the bottom wing with the top parts, starting from the inner side first:

dav

Here I used CA, applied on the locating pins and on top of the main spar, so that the dihedral was properly set. Once cured, I used Tamiya Green Cap and a few pegs, and let this cure overnight

dav

More on the radiator: with the help of same Tamiya tape for curves and my INCIDO (sewing needle in a hanlde, Steve's @Fritag idea anyway :wink: ), I scribed two locating seams (one each side) 

dav

dav

and glued in a steel rod segment. Then I cut from thin styrene sheet (0.2mm for the left one, very thin yogurt cup cutout for the other) these two bits

dav

Then some alu tape on top of the steel rod

dav

Now I'll have to do the same for the other side. 

That's it for the day, any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 9

7 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Very nice job Giorgio! :clap:

Perfect work for the resin

Grazie Matteo! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That looks fantastic Giorgio.

Cheers Cookie, thanks :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

More neat detailing going on Giorgio, and the resin aileron's look great! :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks K, I'm pretty happy with my first resin casting experiment :thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely casting on those ailerons, and that's some pretty intricate detail gong on the radiator housing!

Ian

Cheers Ian, glad you like :thumbsup:

Much more detail to be added to the radiator housing, especially inside

46 minutes ago, Fritag said:

So that's resin casting mastered then :D

U/C bays look excellent.  Particularly like the actuators.

Thanks Steve! :thumbsup: I wouldn't go as far as saying "mastered", but as I said above, I'm pretty happy my first attempt :)

Ciao

Hi everybody;

quick update for a not-so-quick job.

First off, the other side of the radiator cover was completed

dav

Then I had to sort the wings leading edge; the biggest step was here:

dav

but actually minor steps were visible all along both leading edges, whereas the trailing edges lined up just perfect.

Anyway, after a lot of filling (CA)/sanding/scraping/polishing, here's the result

dav

dav

Then I had to enlarge the aileron mounting slots, using the two Dremel bits you see in next pic

dav

dav

and after some refining

dav

dav

A dry fit of the ailerons in what should be their final position

dav

dav

This showed that I needed some plastic shims to reduce the gaps; port

dav

and starboard, still in progress

dav

I am very undecided if gluing in the ailerons prior to the painting stage, just like Crisp @Ex-FAAWAFU has done in his current Seafire build, or leaving them off till the end, for ease of masking :hmmm: 

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Leonl said:

Looking great.

Personally, I'd leave them off until the end... but that's just my opinion.

Thanks Leon, I'm leaning towards that myself; my only quibble is about the smoke ring camo, for which it would probably be better to have them in place :hmmm: 

Ciao

Unbelievable skills on show again Giorgio.

So many techniques.

I just buy a box of plastic, stick it together with glue and paint it! :lol:

Really enjoying the build

Cheers

Bruce 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gene and Bruce, much appreciated :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

6 hours ago, Winenut said:

I just buy a box of plastic, stick it together with glue and paint it! :lol:

That's what I expect to do with the Tamiya KI-61 kit I recently acquired - so not a bad thing, uh? :D 

Ciao

21 hours ago, giemme said:

I am very undecided if gluing in the ailerons prior to the painting stage, just like Crisp @Ex-FAAWAFU has done in his current Seafire build, or leaving them off till the end, for ease of masking :hmmm:

My first thought would be to stick them on now in case they need any tinkering with or fine filling to get a perfect fit - also so that they are in situ for weathering/washes.

• Like 2

HI Giorgio,

nice improvement to tour Veltro!

The wheel bays look great and I like the radiator.Resin proceda went well.In the past I due some resin bits and to avoid air bibbie I did some cuts inside the mould to let resin through and I removed the excess afterward. I think it best to glie the ailerons first,to adapt the joint properly. 

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 1

Sorry, Giorgio,

for having been away for so long - some health and job problems, but it is all sorted now.
First of all, my congratulation for the progress on the 205.
As regards the ailerons, I'd pin them on the wing, without glueing them. So you'll have the parts in place for painting and at the end you'll assemble the painted parts together.
I'll stay tuned, of course.

Best regards

Eugenio

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

My first thought would be to stick them on now in case they need any tinkering with or fine filling to get a perfect fit - also so that they are in situ for weathering/washes.

You have a good point - as for the weathering, my intention is to have them in their final position prior to that stage, anyway .

1 hour ago, massimo said:

HI Giorgio,

nice improvement to tour Veltro!

The wheel bays look great and I like the radiator.Resin proceda went well.In the past I due some resin bits and to avoid air bibbie I did some cuts inside the mould to let resin through and I removed the excess afterward. I think it best to glie the ailerons first,to adapt the joint properly. 

Ciao

Massimo

Cheers Massimo, thanks! :thumbsup:  Next time I try with resin, I intend to try vibrating the mould to "encourage" the air bubbles out, I read about additional holes in the mould for the purpose, but always for two-halves ones - it would be interesting to try it on a single shell mould :hmmm: 

Gluing the ailerons in before the painting stage surely has its advantages, as Steve says too

1 hour ago, 72linerlover said:

Sorry, Giorgio,

for having been away for so long - some health and job problems, but it is all sorted now.
First of all, my congratulation for the progress on the 205.
As regards the ailerons, I'd pin them on the wing, without glueing them. So you'll have the parts in place for painting and at the end you'll assemble the painted parts together.
I'll stay tuned, of course.

Best regards

Eugenio

Thank you Eugenio, good to hear from you :thumbsup:  I'm afraid pinning is out of question, since I don't have enough plastic to stick pins in 

13 minutes ago, Leonl said:

You could hold them in place with sticky tac for painting... 

Thanks Leon, I had considered that option, too - quite undecided still, though :hmmm: 

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated :thumbsup: 

GM

Edited by giemme

49 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Most impressed with those last couple of updates Giorgio - like a good wine this thread gets better with the passing of time!:winkgrin:

:thumbsup2:

Tony

Thanks Tony :thumbsup:  Let's just hope it doesn't turn into vinegar ... :D :D 

Ciao

• Haha 2