The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

17 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Stunning work on the 202 G. I'm headed off to the RFI. It's been a pleasure watching your deft hands at work and now another. :thumbsup: truly excellent work. :king:

Johnny.

Cheers Johnny, it's been a great pleasure having you on board :thumbsup:

Let's see how long it will take to complete this C205... :pilot:

Ciao

• Like 1

On 11 September 2017 at 22:53, The Spadgent said:

Stunning work on the 202 G. I'm headed off to the RFI. It's been a pleasure watching your deft hands at work and now another. :thumbsup: truly excellent work. :king:

Johnny.

That goes for me too ( funny how you only realise how strange some English expressions seem when you write them down )

Cheers

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

That goes for me too ( funny how you only realise how strange some English expressions seem when you write them down )

Which one exactly? They all sound strange to me .... :rofl: Oh wait, that's because I'm Italian ...  :doh: :P

Ciao

• Haha 2

Hi everybody, a quick update on the C205. Working on some details before I tackle the U/C bay internal covers; I did some dry fitting of the oil radiators

dav

The inner part (the circular one in the above pics) can luckily be fitted after having assembled the radiator body

dav

dav

The only problem is that it sits way too far back, while pictures of the real subject show the intake guard much closer to the edge

dav

So I eyeballed the correct position and used a bit of blue tack to hold the piece in place

dav

dav

A bit more like it. I did cut a couple of roughly shaped plastic discs to be used as locating tabs, and superglued them in place

dav

While waiting for the glue to set, I painted the inner parts and the water radiator with Model Master Metallizer Steel, using the brush technique

dav

And here's a dry fit of the final location - the radiator body needs a bit of filling, don't you think? :frantic: 

dav

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 8

I don't throw away my old paintbrushes. I cut down the handles to give me various diameters and wrap them with wet and dry for internal seams and for larger diameters I use old pens. I'm sure you will have your own methods which work equally well.

Cheers

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Nasty little internal seam that...........

Tell me about it ... :banghead:  :frantic:

10 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I don't throw away my old paintbrushes. I cut down the handles to give me various diameters and wrap them with wet and dry for internal seams and for larger diameters I use old pens. I'm sure you will have your own methods which work equally well.

There's a great tip, thanks John! :thumbsup: I did that with a cocktail stick and with a toothpick, but I reckon old brushes give you a wider selection in terms of diameters. Brilliant!

A bit more of progress, made last night after having watched the Eurobasket game in which Italy lost to Serbia ... :( 

Supercharger intake hollowed out

dav

and external seams sorted

dav

dav

The line you see is the sanded and polished CA I used as filler. I'm gonna have to run a tiny bit of Tamiya Green Cap along the intake edges, though, to clean up from the sanding residuals.

Butterfly valve: just like as I did for the C202, I cut a 2mm disc out of styrene sheet, using these tools

dav

and here is a dry fit

dav

The valve is now safely stored away, waiting for paint; meanwhile, I glued the supercharger intake in place

dav

and while the glue was out, I also joined the oil radiators halves

dav

So I'm almost ready to deal with those nasty internal seams .... :pilot::frantic:

All comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good luck!

K

Well, thank you! :D 

12 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

It seems that seams are a common thing Giemme.

It is how to tackle the problem and others that make are hobby more fun.

Nice work going on mate.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks :thumbsup:  Dealing with nasty seams is a part of the fun I would love to spare, just from time to time ... :frantic: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi everybody; WE progress report - modelling time almost all spent in sanding, filling, rescribing, etc.

Where were we? Yes, oil radiators seams. I first had to deal with the external ones, treated with a file, regular sandpaper (different grades) and a nail polishing stick. Here they are with a smear of primer brushed on

dav

They look OK. Now for the internal seams: I decided to try with PPP. Firstly applied with a toothpick:

dav

then smoothed using a moist q-tip

dav

Then I followed John's advice, but missing a dismissed brush of the proper size, I used the back end of a cocktail stick with some sandpaper double taped to it

dav

Radiators received a black tempera wash

dav

and here's a dry fit

dav

Will see how they look with primer and paint on.

Next chore task: filling panels on the top wings. Again PPP, here with some primer brushed on to check the result

dav

and after removing it

dav

Being this a Serie I airframe, one of the hatches need to be reinstated, but closer to the wing gun access panel, so I rescribed it

dav

Not the best of the jobs, but the real problem is that I didn't locate them symmetrical :chair:  So out came the CA, I filled them in and rescribed again, this time using a clear acetate mask and drawing a reference line aligned to the old hatches

dav

dav

They look messy, but that is because the CA dries clear and shows the previous .... mess. Again, a primer coat will tel if they need more care. Note that they have slightly rounded corners, as it is on the real aircraft - although shape and size is something I only read of, without being able to retrieve any pics.

Now something a bit more interesting (to me, at least); I mentioned earlier that I was going to scratch build the wheel bay sand covers. I intend to vacform them, following the technique used by a well known Italian modeller which is also the top expert for this aircraft. Here's a link where he shows his method:

http://hyperscale.com/2007/features/c20532mdt_1.htm

So: eraser for the template

dav

Lower wing assembly dry fit

dav

Checking for clearance with the actuator in place

dav

U/C bay aperture shape copied on the eraser

dav

roughly cut to shape with an Exacto knife

dav

then I started refining the starboard side one, rounding the front edge and reducing the height

dav

Here are the tolls I used, plus some regular sandpaper

dav

Now I need to do the other one, then I can attempt vacforming.

That's it for now, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 9

Good progress through a tedious part of the build Giorgio!

And I've never seen that using an eraser as a vacform mould technique before - that's very interesting (especially as I once got a box of 30 of those very erasers for 10 pence in a stationery stores pricing error!! So plenty to make mistakes with as I haven't used any for their intended purpose!) I look forward to seeing the results!

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Keith :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I look forward to seeing the results!

Well, me too :wink:  This can still turn into a huge waste of time, although judging by the results in the link I posted, it also has the potential to be a very clever solution; next days will tell :) 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Good luck Giemme, I wait with anticipation :coolio:

Simon.

2 minutes ago, Leonl said:

As ever lovely work.... I'm looking forward to the vac-forming results.

Thanks guys :thumbsup: No pressure then, right? :D 

Ciao

• Like 2

Like others, I'm looking forward to seeing how the eraser vac form turns out. Thanks for that link.

What markings will you be doing? Cutting stencils with your machine?:penguin:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gene K said:

What markings will you be doing? Cutting stencils with your machine?:penguin:

Definitely. the wing "fasci" are just the same as the C202. This is the specific airframe I'm building

Bild 101I-468-1415-10

so I'll be cutting the code numbers too (360 - 3) and the tail crosses (Croce Sabauda).

Ciao

• Like 1

Scribing.  Always frustrating.  I aways seem to end up filing bodged lines with cyano.  I always seem to end up making the template I should have made to begin with.  I'm almost glad (a bit like - but I promise you it ain't -  schadenfreude :winkgrin:) that someone else makes at least the occasional bodge.....Good save tho' :clap2:.

Like t'others I'm looking forward to the vac forming results.  i would have thought that an eraser was an unforgiving medium to work with.

Excellent update as ever Giorgio :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fritag said:

a bit like - but I promise you it ain't -  schadenfreude

Using stranger (to me and you) idioms won't help you in mellowing the concept ... :D  :D  :D  But of course I can see your point. In fact, knowing that even you experience the "look the mess I did with rescribed lines" (I hardly doubt anything you do in modelling can be defined as mess, though) makes me feel a bit better ... :D 

15 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Like t'others I'm looking forward to the vac forming results.  i would have thought that an eraser was an unforgiving medium to work with.

I'd have never thought of that if it weren't for the link I posted above - and being it from a very respectable modeler, I thought I'd give it a try. Pressure "decreasing" even more now ... :analintruder:  :frantic:

Ciao

• Like 1

Right, vacforming. I decided to give it a try last night, despite not having completed the second template, just to see if there were any tweaks I needed to do.

The start looked promising, here's a pic directly from the vacuumbox

dav

I need to find some time and put together a decent frame to hold the plastic sheet. Anyway; I thought of using clear plastic for better check during dryfit - and because I know better how to handle temperature and so on.

The shape is pretty good

dav

And then the fiddling/cutting/fiddling circus started

dav

dav

Here with all the interior structure in place

dav

dav

The idea is that I'll be using this as reference for the definitive one, that's way it doesn't look ... eerm ... refined :wink:

I also vacformed a spare one, while waiting for the glue to set on the interior bits, and here's a drawback of using the eraser as a template

dav

Can you see the white residuals/debris inside it? If you overheat the plastic (which I did by keeping on heating it while the vacuum box was pulling, just to have a better molded shape), the outer layer of the eraser sticks permanently to the plastic.

Not a big deal, but I thought it's better knowing about it.

More testing to do, but I think it may work. Any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Giemme, have you tried using any release agents. 

Giving the "Buck" a good polish and seal .

It may work, but I am no expert what so ever.

Still looking good sir.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Given the nature of the eraser (quite porous stuff) I didn't think of using any releasing agent. Moreover, the overheating was useless, so I think I'll just repeat the process I used for the first sample, to wit heating the plastic sheet with an industrial hair dryer till it softens, then press it onto the template laying on top of the vacuum box, and let the vacuum do the job.

Ciao

• Like 2