Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

Switched Identities   18/06/17

If you are still having problems logging in and remaining under your own username following the DDoS attack last week, you need to log off, clear your browser's cache, and restart your browser to ensure you clear all the old files from your temporary area.  Then you should be sorted.
giemme

The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic

439 posts in this topic

Very nice Giemme.

The perils of builds, what do you leave off until the end?

All looking extremely good mate.

Simon.

1 person likes this

59 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Another great update Giorgio, really looking the part now! Strangely enough I've managed to break off a nav light on a 1/48 P-47 I've been working on for a while (a long while...!!), but in my case it's the green one - and it's been off more than once!

Thank K! :thumbsup:  Sorry to hear about your nav light, it is rather annoying when it happens, ain't it? :chair: 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I really like the metal effect you've got on the prop blades & spinner. I've meant to ask before when you've mentioned the brush technique with metalizer - is this when you shake the bottle well & then dip the brush in the paint that's left in the lid of the bottle, & then almost dry brush it on? Or do you have a different method? I've a fair few old bottles of the stuff in stock & would like to see if I could get a finish somewhere close to yours!

That's exactly the method I've used. Works a threat, and I wish to thank once more @Cookenbacher for pointing it out. 

I'm running out of stock with mines and can't find them anymore in Italy  - and they don't dispatch from UK because potentially hazardous blah blah. :badmood: So I'm using them very sparingly.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

PS just been talking to my 2 year old grand-daughter on the phone, & now whenever we say 'bye bye' to her, the reply is 'Ciao Ciao'...!! :D L

:D:D:D Cute girl! You should teach her Italian :winkgrin: 

Very nice Giemme.

The perils of builds, what do you leave off until the end?

All looking extremely good mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Yes, always a matter of trying to leave off as much as possible to avoid clumsiness side effects ... :banghead: 

Ciao

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, giemme said:

You should teach her Italian :winkgrin: 

I can barely speak English! I have no idea where she picked it up from, must be nursery school!

Thanks for the info on the Metalizer, must give it a go ! (that's if the bottles I have haven't gone solid, I haven't actually looked at them for years...!)

K

1 person likes this

Nice update. I wondered how you'd tackle masking that lovely plumbing in the wheel wells....

Leon

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

(that's if the bottles I have haven't gone solid, I haven't actually looked at them for years...!)

That seems the kind of stuff that would last forever, if the cap is properly fastened ...

20 minutes ago, Leonl said:

Nice update. I wondered how you'd tackle masking that lovely plumbing in the wheel wells....

Leon

Cheers Leon, thank you :thumbsup:  That soft spongy stuff is very useful for the task, I often use it for masking :winkgrin: 

Ciao

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, giemme said:

... trying to leave off as much as possible to avoid clumsiness side effects ... :banghead: 

"Clumsiness"? You could be a jeweler.

Gene K

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Gene K said:

"Clumsiness"? You could be a jeweler.

Then my carpet monster would be very wealthy ... :D :D :D 

Thanks Gene

Ciao

1 person likes this

Yet another impressive update! I do like the metal effect on the prop blades and spinner. Lovely job! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

1 person likes this

Wonderful work once again G.

that spinner looks amazing. Metaliser you say.:hmmm: I shall look out for some of that.

Johnny

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Amazing detail as always Giorgio, and I can't wait to see the 'egg' camouflage. I didn't know IPA was OK for Lifecolor.

If you're running out of MM metalizer, it seems that Mr. Metal Color acts in a similar way.

Thanks Cookie! :thumbsup:  I found out about IPA and Lifecolor in this very thread, because @davmarx mentioned it :thumbsup2:  Please note it's not pure IPA, though: it's a commercial product made with water and roughly 15% IP in it.

Thanks also for the heads up on metallic pains, but I'm afraid if you read all along that thread, these are not a real alternative. On page 2 there's a shot of that thunderbolt after a few years, and the BMF finish went completely bonkers :frantic: 

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Yet another impressive update! I do like the metal effect on the prop blades and spinner. Lovely job! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thank you. :thumbsup:  I'm pretty happy with the metal effect too, even if very little will be seen - only some very light chipping (I promise, Gene :D )

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Wonderful work once again G.

that spinner looks amazing. Metaliser you say.:hmmm: I shall look out for some of that.

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :thumbsup: - Model Master or Testor (same stuff) Metallizer is what you want to find, the "buff" version 

Ciao

2 people like this

Primer is on, everybody! :yahoo: 

OK, let's go through things in the correct order. windshield masking completed, using some blue tack blobs (apologies, some of the pictures were taken in a hurry, so are quite blurry)

dav

I then airbrushed Tamiya Flat Black for the internal framing color

dav

masked off the wingtip lights

dav

dav

And there she goes, primed by airbrush with the usual mix of Vallejo Grey Primer and Future

dav

As I expected, the primer coat showed some touch ups to do; port wing leading edge

dav

Bottom fuselage to wings joint

dav

port wing root trailing edge

dav

The elevators, however, came out pretty good:

dav

dav

So after the remedial works, I'll have to airbrush another light primer coat, then I should be ready for painting

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Good giemme! :clap:

For your ability, these little problems are nothing... 

Thanks Matteo :thumbsup: Little problems, still annoying :banghead:

Ciao