The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

Beautiful work on those wheel bays, very colourful for sure! You live in a very picturesque area too, what a lovely view from the pool, or it would be if the hedge wasn't there.....

Ian

• Like 1

Great work on the various pipes in the wheel wells ! Watching all those pipes reminds me of how nervewrecking was to add them to my 202 last year, wonder if you're feeling nausea too after each pipe... :D

OT: the view may not be Scotland or Britain but the gun in the picture is British ! It's an old 25 pdr., a type that was used in quite good numbers in the immediate postwar years by the Italian Army artillery units, where it was known as the "Obice 88/27". During my time in the Army I spent some months in an artillery base and they had a small museum with a number of pieces, including one of these. One day I will scan a few pictures I took at another small museum of post war tanks close to the Cameri air force base, maybe some modeller of targets will find them useful

• Like 2

I'm in full agreement with what the others are agreeing to Giorgio.

Those details are coming together very nicely in and around then aircraft now.! :thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 1

That's a very colourful wheel well, and very detailed!

your pics of the view look just lovely from where I'm sat! Love northern Italy no matter how densely populated it might be!

Rob

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

Not surprised you're happy Giorgio;  great looking landscaping - which allows me to segue into saying great looking update...........:)

Thanks Steve, much appreciated! :thumbsup: 

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Very impressive modelling (as usual) and very impressive area you live in! Wonderful.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix, very kind of you, as usual :thumbsup: 

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I agree with Fritag and Stix.

john

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I agree with everybody...

Keith

Thanks John and Keith for ... agreeing :D:thumbsup: 

8 hours ago, Leonl said:

Really good work on the plumbing. You've raised even your own high standards....

Love the view from your pool.... Our sky is rarely that colour! 

Thanks Leon, glad you like the plumbing job :thumbsup: 

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Beautiful work on those wheel bays, very colourful for sure! You live in a very picturesque area too, what a lovely view from the pool, or it would be if the hedge wasn't there.....

Ian

Thanks Ian! :thumbsup:  As for the hedge, it's there to hide the view from outside - but over all to prevent all sorts of weeds from the surrounding corn and barley fields to infest my lawn; I'm still able to see all the hills, though :winkgrin: 

6 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Well, that answers the question, we are off to Giemme`s for a bar b cue and pool party then....

Simon.

Yeah, why not? Bring some stout and/or ale, guys! :party: 

5 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Great work on the various pipes in the wheel wells ! Watching all those pipes reminds me of how nervewrecking was to add them to my 202 last year, wonder if you're feeling nausea too after each pipe... :D

OT: the view may not be Scotland or Britain but the gun in the picture is British ! It's an old 25 pdr., a type that was used in quite good numbers in the immediate postwar years by the Italian Army artillery units, where it was known as the "Obice 88/27". During my time in the Army I spent some months in an artillery base and they had a small museum with a number of pieces, including one of these. One day I will scan a few pictures I took at another small museum of post war tanks close to the Cameri air force base, maybe some modeller of targets will find them useful

Yes, you did the pipe job on a 1/72 C202, you must be mad! :frantic: I somewhat restrained the number of pipes and cables I put into this, to avoid any nausea ... :winkgrin: 

Thanks for the info about the gun; the place where it sits is held and maintained by the local Alpini group (for non Italian readers: Alpini is a particular Italian Army corp, mountain infantry and mountain artillery; Alpini soldiers traditionally preserve strong bonds with the corp even after retiring from active duty, and also have very tight relationships with the local territory, helping in preserving monuments, mountain tracks etc and forming the biggest part of Civil Protection)

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Those details are coming together very nicely in and around then aircraft now.! :thumbsup2:

Tony

Cheers Tony Le Baron, thank you :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, Murrodels said:

Nice work!

Thank you! :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

That's a very colourful wheel well, and very detailed!

your pics of the view look just lovely from where I'm sat! Love northern Italy no matter how densely populated it might be!

Rob

Cheers Rob, thank you! :thumbsup: Glad you like my job and the view! :)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

Hi everybody;

time to join the wins with the fuselage on the C202 (at last! :banghead: )

A dry fit shows that the mating is too tight, resulting in forcing the wing assembly apart and thus flattening the dihedral. So I first had to do this:

dav

to have the central fuselage section at the correct width. That, however, wasn't enough, so I also had to scrape away some plastic from the wing roots, here

dav

and here

dav

dav

Another small issue with the top to bottom wing join:

dav

dav

Top wings are both perfectly aligned with the bottom, except for the leading edge part closer to the wing root.

Here's a dry fit of the wings with the fuselage

dav

Another issue is with the gun cowl and fuselage join:

dav

dav

Both sides, the fuselage protrudes from the gun cowl edges; so I filed/sanded and polished back to this:

dav

dav

Time to glue the wings in place :pilot:

dav

Curing overnight; meanwhile, I glued in the oil radiator cover

dav

The bottom cowl will be added later, once I have sorted the wing to fuselage join.

I also started working on the water radiator

dav

This is not bad; the other components show some sink marks:

dav

which were scraped away

dav

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 9

Giorgio, nice to see the wing in place.

Now you have to take care of that 13 mm (real) gap right aft the engine cowling.

Be easy with the other panel lines: Macchis were quite good built.:smile:

Bye

Euge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72linerlover said:

Giorgio, nice to see the wing in place.

Now you have to take care of that 13 mm (real) gap right aft the engine cowling.

Be easy with the other panel lines: Macchis were quite good built.:smile:

Bye

Euge

Grazie Eugenio! :thumbsup: I do remember about the cowling gap, and I'm planning to get it sorted once the bottom cowl is in place. As for the other panel lines, HASEGAWA molded them very finely, and I'll just run a razor saw along them to get a bit more depth rather than enlarging them. Should do the trick in the end, especially considering the various paint coats needed for the camouflage scheme.

Ciao

23 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That's a rather  "agreegious"  statement ... with  which I wholeheartedly agree.

I need to go to Italy to admire Giorgio's works, his view, his pool, his BBQ, his yard, his .... .:penguin:

Gene K

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gene K said:

That's a rather  "agreegious"  statement ... with  which I wholeheartedly agree.

I need to go to Italy to admire Giorgio's works, his view, his pool, his BBQ, his yard, his .... .:penguin:

Gene K

:D:D:D You're most welcome, BBQ always ready :thumbsup:

Ciao

51 minutes ago, Gene K said:

his .... .:penguin:

Looks a bit warm for penquins at Giorgio's place... but I bet they love the pool!!

Chuck another sausage on the barbie for me G...!!

Keith

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Looks a bit warm for penquins at Giorgio's place... but I bet they love the pool!!

Chuck another sausage on the barbie for me G...!!

Keith

No penguins, but lots of swallows every evening passing by and taking a quick dive for some water ... I wonder what that causes them, considering the  chlorine in it :shrug:

Sausage on, care for some lamb too? :)

Ciao

• Like 2

No thanks G, not a lover of lamb, only meat I never eat. Another sausage for later will do nicely though! I'll bring some Welsh bitter...:drink:

Hopefully the chlorine won't do the swallows too much harm considering they won't drink that much? Was just saying to the missus earlier that the swifts we normally have swooping around here this time of the year don't seem to have turned up yet. Maybe something to do with all the rain & wind we've had the last couple of weeks - enough to ground anything!

K

• Like 1

They keep coming, so probably no harm at all :) We had a couple of days of storm here, but now it's back to full sunshine, and forecasts say it should stay like that for a while. 33 centigrades expected for the weekend!

Ciao

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rob85 said:

She is (literally) coming together not giemme. Nice work on blending the steps out

Rob

Thanks Rob! :thumbsup: Looks like the C202 will reach the painting stage soon - I might be able to complete it before my holidays! :pilot:

Ciao 

• Like 1

HI everybody, Friday update:

checking for residual seams on the wing roots and leading edge -  I did brush paint some Vallejo Primer on

dav

Little hole starboard side

dav

so I sanded away the primer coat, filled in with PPP and used a razor saw to remove the excess from the panel line

dav

More primer needed to confirm if this is good or not, but I'm quite confident.

Port side looks OK to me

dav

Prior to gluing in the bottom cowl, I inserted a piece of black foamy stuff, to prevent any overspray from the gun throughs

dav

Then I glued the cowl with Tamiya Green Cap

dav

dav

I didn't glue the back join because, as Eugenio mentioned earlier, on the real aircraft there's a 13 mm gap all around top and bottom cowlings. Once everything is set, I will go along the top cowl panel line to rescribe it the right size.

Been working on the main radiator too, painting it with Model Master Metallizer using the brush technique; before

dav

and after

dav

dav

It needs some weathering, then I can glue it in place

Have a good WE everybody! :)

Ciao

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful progress Giorgio, and the gear bays look even more stunning with the wings attached.

Cheers Cookie, thanks! :thumbsup:  Yes, the bays look better with everything in place; they probably need a bit more weathering, but I'll do that later, after having painted the camouflage

51 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

All looking good there Giemme, with seams tended to etc.

Have a great weekend yourself.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Same to you and Lady Rose :) 

Ciao

• Like 1