The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Thanks Torbjorn :thumbsup: The exact model is Brother Scan'n'cut CM900; I wouldn't know about how small of a mask you can cut. I really only used it twice (I have it at work), but as far as I can tell, I reached the minimum cut spacing on the wings fasci, where the fine line departs from the axe head; I would say that this line is about 1 mm thick in Inkscape, resulting in something less on the actual cut. I wouldn't go less than that, as far as cutting line spacing is concerned (but I might be proven wrong, I really need to experiment more on this). HTH

Ciao

The litte line looks spotless, so I’m sure you can push it even further. :) Now I just have to find some domestic use of that machine so I can motivate buying one... Those masks are much better than decals.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

Now I just have to find some domestic use of that machine so I can motivate buying one...

Any kind of craft work with cardboard or paper is a good reason.... :whistle::wink::D

Ciao

On 4/12/2017 at 5:55 PM, giemme said:

these are the Savoia emblems, needed to complete the tail crosses, and the red alignment arrows used for the variable incidence tail planes. Thanks Euge! :thumbsup:

You are welcome, Giorgio.

It's a pleasure to be of any help in this magnificent build and thanks to you for having quoted me.

But more than this, as many other, I'm very grateful to you for the nice work you are showing us :clap:and for taking time to post it.

Bye

Euge

Edited by 72linerlover
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Giorgio - your painting and masking, what can I say?

That last update was a lesson in what can be achieved with artistry and determination. 

Magnificent!

:thumbsup:

Tony

Tony, you are way too kind, thank you :thumbsup: I don't feel like I should be anywhere near the word artistry, while determination probably fits a bit more :coolio:  :wink:

43 minutes ago, 72linerlover said:

You are welcome, Giorgio.

It's a pleasure to be of any help in this magnificent build and thanks to you for having quoted me.

But more than this, as many other, I'm very grateful to you for the nice work you are showing us :clap:and for taking time to post it.

Bye

Euge

Thanks Euge, let's hope I won't disappoint anyone (including myself :) )

Ciao

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leonl said:

Nice work, really enjoyable build. 

Thanks Leon, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

So we had some snow; last night

mde

but then this morning it was already over, just a few centimeters

dav

Modelling-wise, I haven't started with decals yet; here's what I did, instead. Base coat for the exhaust stacks, brushing on Model Master Metallizer Titanium (the stacks are taped to the wooden block)

dav

These were left to cure, waiting for more painting.

Then I fixed the aileron overspray

dav

Actually, I did put some decals on, these:

dav

The blades were then glued to the spinner plate, and the spinner cover followed right away. Here's a dry fit of the airscrew in place

dav

dav

Then I glued in the tailplanes, using CA gel and LEGO blocks to keep them level

dav

dav

dav

dav

Then I tackled the main wheels assembly; I drilled out some holes in the scissor link

dav

dav

Just like I did on the C202, I removed the wheel mounting pegs, as I want to be able to fit the wheels in after the struts have been assembled and painted. You can see I went a bit heavy-handed with the drill :chair:  :banghead: , so I had to do some repairs and set them aside curing

dav

dav

Wheel rims filled in with some stretched sprue and glued with Tamiya Green Cap

dav

then some Dremel action :analintruder:

dav

Tamiya Green Cap to smooth things out, then set aside curing before I can drill a suitable hole in them. The plan is to use brass rod segments to reproduce the wheel axles

dav

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 12

6 hours ago, perdu said:

No comment, simple admiration instead

Thanks Bill, much appreciated :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, perdu said:

a cancelled medical session here

You mean modelling session, right? :D 

Anyway, it's raining here now, so no more trouble. Besides, it was only a few centimeters, albeit quite early in the season (actually, last year we had no snow at all, even in the mountains)

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Snow!!!!!, we  are lucky to see any where we are, but one never know.

Nice work going on there Giemme.

Looking forward to seeing her in RFI soon.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks :thumbsup:  As usual with my build, I feel like I'm slowing down when I get to the final stages :frantic: I still have to put decals on, do some weathering, complete the main wheel struts and bay doors, glue in the small bits and bobs .... :analintruder: 

Will I be able to complete this before Christmas? :shrug::D

Ciao

• Like 1

Giorgio,

Did you ever finish the pilot?

eCSUmkE.jpg

Seriously, since you are an accomplished figure painter, will you be adding a pilot? Or make a diorama featuring both Macchi models and a ground crew (would the two have appeared together)?

New airbrush working?

Gene

P.S. I echo the plaudits on the masking.:penguin:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

33 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Did you ever finish the pilot?

:rofl:  :rofl: 

33 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Seriously, since you are an accomplished figure painter, will you be adding a pilot? Or make a diorama featuring both Macchi models and a ground crew (would the two have appeared together)?

No pilot nor diorama here, sorry :shrug: But I'm going to scratch my figure painting itch soon-ish - you'll see... :coolio:  :wink: 

As for your last question: I really have no clue about these two specific airplanes (couldn't find much info about them), but in general it think it was possible that C202 and C205 could be seen together. It is true that the C202 I represented is from a very early series (Serie III, May 1941 to April 1942), but so is the C205 (Serie I, deployed starting from February up to June 1943), so quite a short time-frame separates the two.

As for my new airbrush (it's a Paasche Talon, I haven't posted anything about it yet because I couldn't test it so far), I got the correct pipe fitting to connect it to my air compressor only this morning, so should be able to test it in the next few days :thumbsup: 

12 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Delicious work as ever Giorgio.

Nice Dremelling on the wheels!

It still raises a smile to see the quality of the paintwork on that baby.

:worthy:

Cheers Tony, thank you! Much appreciated :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

There are few things as exciting as a new airbrush

True! :thumbsup: Plus this is my first "proper" airbrush in a while, so double excitement :Tasty:

Glad you like the build, Cookie :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody:

getting close to completion (maybe... :banghead: )

I posed all the decals on the airframe

24269227957_c2dc8a6839_b.jpg

38419806094_84196dfc58_b.jpg

39129937041_4d2443f5c7_b.jpg

The Savoia emblem and the little red arrows used for the tail planes alignment are Eugenio's @72linerlover (thanks Euge, great stuff! :thumbsup: ), while the others are from the kit, but printed by Cartograph; that means they are thin and not prone to silvering, as opposed to standard Hasegawa's :devil: 

Opposite side

39098449512_502559d4d6_b.jpg

38419805064_c985c54a0b_b.jpg

25262741828_714b98c787_b.jpg

I will perform some desaturation, then spray a protective clear coat on, prior to weathering.

On a different matter, I continued working on the main wheel struts and U/C bay doors; here is the hi-tech gluing setup :coolio::D

39098445622_d26d4b2258_b.jpg

and after 24h curing

39098446842_af3d8eae19_b.jpg

25262739468_e85500e8a4_b.jpg

Wheels and axles 

24269229977_341cf6c634_b.jpg

25262728238_b25d31ddeb_b.jpg

Inner U/C doors: when I did the C202, I wasn't completely convinced about their shape and the way they were supposed to be linked to the fuselage; this photo clearly shows that Hasegawa have rather over-simplified them

38423130214_d9689c549a_b.jpg

And here's what we have in the box

27352271099_354e645390_b.jpg

They are basically moulded inside/out, if you know what I mean: the three small rectangles should represent the hinges, and should be facing outside, while the receiving hole for the actuator arm should be facing inside. One could say: how can you tell which side is in and which out? Because these doors aren't flat, but curved, and the curve is obviously opposite to the real one ....

Anyway, I decided to scratch built new ones, and put came the beer can:

25262733898_3db70ec272_b.jpg

27352268559_b041467e55_b.jpg

Basic shape copied onto Tamiya tape, then stuck onto a beer can cutout. Using the tools you see in next pic, I gave them their final shape

25262731738_811aaaf115_b.jpg

Then I copied said shape on a 0.5mm styrene sheet

27352266149_6c2e3efcf3_b.jpg

Slightly resized and superglued to the alu parts

25262729938_1fe26ef629_b.jpg

Once properly cured, I used tweezers to give them the rounded shape and glued in some PE frame leftovers to reproduce the hinges

24269228547_3c74c16101_b.jpg

They still need some refining, but now I think I can reproduce the real assembly shown above in a better way.

Some work done on the other doors, too: small outside ones needed some care (left done, right undone)

25262735398_577a8e200c_b.jpg

while for the ones connected to the struts, I tried a different approach compared to what I did for the C202; instead of actually separating the two pieces actually forming the door, I only deepened the outlines using a micro-saw (here I added some dark wash to make them stand out a bit more)

27352273569_da0c3e323c_b.jpg

Now I still need to add the brake lines to the main struts, glue their doors in and I can start priming and painting them.

That's it for now, comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 10
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Nice work Giorgio, nearly finished now!

I like the new gear doors, and for somebody who says he doesn't like decals, you made a lovely job of the ones you used!

Thanks Keith :thumbsup:  I still hate decals, but I hate Cartograph ones a little less, and I definitely don't hate Eugenio's decals :wink:  :) 

All jokes apart, I still prefer to use masks over good decals, whenever possible: I just feel it gives a more realistic effect. When we talk about bad decals, however, it's when real hate comes into play :badmood: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

The new gear doors look fantastic Giorgio, and the decals and masked markings blend together wonderfully.

Cheers Cookie, thanks - much appreciated  :thumbsup: 

3 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Now, all I need is to get a job that has a Brother mask cutter!

:rofl: Or a Silhouette Cameo/Curio, they're probably better in terms of SW management. Will this be part of the selection criteria for your move? :wink:  :D 

Ciao 

• Haha 1

Wow, what a great outcome of this sleek italian fighter and what a nice paint job . Love it. These camos are always something special and always great looking ones!  Will be off on Thursday for christmas and I wish all some nice days (lazy as I'm now):

post2.jpg

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, bbudde said:

Wow, what a great outcome of this sleek italian fighter and what a nice paint job . Love it. These camos are always something special and always great looking ones!  Will be off on Thursday for christmas and I wish all some nice days (lazy as I'm now):

post2.jpg

:rofl: You made my day with that :D

Thanks for the appreciation, and Merry Christmas to you too :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Top metal work on those replacement doors Giorgio - they look miles better now.

Cheers Tony, thank you :thumbsup:

There's still some margin for a cock up here :banghead: I have to reshape the protruding portion of those hinges - Dremelling them, possibly - and I'm not too sure the CA will hold up. In that case, I'm gonna have to resort to soldering, as mentioned in your thread ... :frantic:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2