The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

17 hours ago, Leonl said:

Excellent work..

Cheers Leon, thanks :thumbsup:

For who's going to Telford: enjoy it, and (copying John's  @Biggles87 invite on another thread) post a group photo, if you can :wink: :)

Ciao

Hi everybody; WE progress report, albeit not much done. Dental plant on Saturday morning, which knocked me out for the rest of the day; then Sunday two different birthday parties, one for lunch and one for dinner :party: 

In the middle of all of this, I managed to do some touch ups and re-spray the primer on selected areas, such as the wing roots

dav

As you can see, I did put the radiator grids in, as I figured I would have probably scratched all the paintwork if I was to do it at a later stage. I will finish them up and mask before airbrushing the top camouflage.

Time for some pre-shading; in an attempt to attain some tonal variations, I airbrushed  Flat White on the canvas covered areas (ailerons, elevators and rudder),  Flat Yellow for some of the top flat surfaces and finally Flat Black for the panel lines on the underside and  Flat Brown for top side panel lines (all Tamiya)

dav

dav

I notices I missed to pre-shade port aileron only after having thoroughly cleaned my airbrush, and I was also about to set out for dinner ... :chair:  I'll do that prior to start painting the underside Grigio Azzurro Chiaro

dav

I'll have to do some touch up on the nose area, looks a bit messy  - but then it's pre-shading, so after all not a big problem :coolio:

dav

dav

dav

dav

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 14

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Afternoon Giorgio - the like was for the very neat pre shading/toning, not the visit to the dentist, which I hope you've recovered from!

Keith

Thanks Keith :thumbsup: Still a bit of a blown cheek, but otherwise I'm fine.

30 minutes ago, massimo said:

...getting close!!!!:yes:

Sort of :D:frantic::pilot:

Ciao

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

It's not fair to have to attend two meal time birthday parties right after a dentist visit. 

Yes, but I could handle that :D 

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

You have TWO birthdays? 

Sure, at some point I was re-born; don't we all? :D:D:D

Ciao

• Haha 4

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Pin wash is a must for me; I find it normally goes along very well with pre and post shading. The attempt here is to get some variations on the inside areas of panels - something I've seen on other's builds and I fancied to reproduce here :coolio::wink:

Ciao

Hi everybody; WE progress report, although admittedly not much went on  - very busy period with open day at the girls' school and also visiting friends, etc.

Anyway: it was about time to start some proper painting, but first I had to fix some minor issues. I drybrushed some Light Gull Grey on the top cowling, to hide some of the mess I did while pre-shading

dav

Then some PPP along the windshield joint

dav

dav

and the missing aileron pre-shading

dav

I could eventually crack on with the underside camouflage color, to wit Lifecolor Grigio Azzurro Chiaro; a few light coats, thinned with Future

dav

dav

This was then sealed with a Future coat, to allow for some rough handling while masking for the top camouflage. In order to prepare for that, I painted the spinner and back plate with a metallic undercoat; usual stiff brush method here, with the actual spinner painted with Model Master Metallizer Steel and the back plate using AK interactive Extreme Metal Steel. The latter was an experiment, to see if I could use the same method as with Model Masters; it worked, some way, but I didn't get the same level of shine, so I'm afraid this is not a real alternative. See for yourself

dav

More preparation work: canopy masked outside

dav

and inside

dav

Airbrushed Tamiya Flat Black, again inside and outside

dav

dav

Since the top camouflage extends also on the bottom side, except for the wings, I needed a system to hold the model without cracking open the fuselage halves once more ( :chair: )

So I drilled two holes on the flat part of the nose

dav

and inserted a clipped paper clip (no pun intended ... maybe :coolio: ) to act as clamping spot for the third hand stand

dav

Then I started masking, using Tamiya Tape for curves and Tamiya regular tape

dav

dav

dav

Quite some masking left to do - I'm hoping to be able to spray the top coat before next WE

Any comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 10

I like the painting handle, an example of the English expression ' Necessity is the mother of invention '.

Cheers

John

PS while out shopping with SWMBO this morning I spotted some boxes of Tempera paints in the local Lidl so I bought one.

Edited by Biggles87
  • Thanks 1

Cheers John, thank you :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

PS while out shopping with SWMBO this morning I spotted some boxes of Tempera paints in the local Lidl so I bought one.

Good thing :thumbsup: What brand are they?

Ciao

3 hours ago, Leonl said:

Pre-shade looks great.... 

Thanks Leon :thumbsup:  I think Lifecolor thinned with Future give me the best control on that (at least the best I can get with my abilities...  :wink: )

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

The initial underside paint looks great Giorgio.

It's hard to beat the convenience and look of MM metalizers.

Cheers Cookie, thank you :thumbsup:  You're right about MM metalizers, of course - too bad I can't get them any more in Italy ... :badmood: 

Ciao

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Great to see more progress Giorgio and lovely progress it is too. Looking forward to seeing it with more paint on. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thanks :thumbsup: kinda looking forward to it myself :coolio: :wink: 

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

These are the ones, probably not a brand you've ever heard of.

John

Not really; if they are cheap stuff, don't expect great results in using them as washes

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

On 20/11/2017 at 10:06, giemme said:

usual stiff brush method here

Hi Giorgio,

...I'm missing something, could you please enlight me about this technique? What will the spinner's final colour be?

I bought some tape like te one in the last pictures, They say it's really good for curved lines. What are your feelings with it?

Nice progress everywhere! Just looking forward for some proper paint on the top surfaces!;)

7 minutes ago, massimo said:

Hi Giorgio,

...I'm missing something, could you please enlight me about this technique? What will the spinner's final colour be?

I bought some tape like te one in the last pictures, They say it's really good for curved lines. What are your feelings with it?

Nice progress everywhere! Just looking forward for some proper paint on the top surfaces!;)

Hi Massimo; the brush technique for the Model Master metallizer colors is the same I used for the spinner and propeller (and exhaust stacks) on the C202. @Cookenbacher posted a very exhaustive link in one of his build - can't find it right now, but basically you use a stiff, cheap brush, shake very well the color pot and only get paint from the lid. 

Then brush it on bare plastic and voilà! after a few strokes, you have a nice and shiny surface. Tomorrow I'll post the link, when I'm back to my PC.

As for the final color, the spinner will be white, while the back plate will be in camo color (including smoke rings ... :frantic: ); but I intend to do some moderate chipping, hence the metallic coat.

Tamiya tape for curves works great for me, you just need to get the hang of how to apply it (a modest tension is required, to achieve the best result)

HTH

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody, here's some painting progress.

Last night I completed the masking on the main aircraft and a few other bits; the black canopy frames were given a brushed on Future coat, prior to final masking

dav

Tail wheel covers and antenna mast ready for painting too:

dav

Masking completed on the aircraft 

dav

dav

and ready for the airbrush session :pilot: 

dav

The top camouflage color is Nocciola Chiaro 4 (Light Hazelnut 4), for which Lifecolor produces a specific pot, included in the WWII Regia Aeronautica set; as usual, I thinned it with Future and airbrushed several (even more in this case, as this color has a low covering power) light coats. Here's how it turned out:

canopy

dav

bits and bobs

dav

spinner plate

dav

Tailplanes

dav

I'm pretty happy with the pre-shading showing through this way; very subtle, but I think it also shows a difference between canvas covered and metallic surfaces

For the main airframe pics, the light I used killed most of the effect, which is much more visible in reality. I had to edit them adjusting contrast and light a bit, thus:

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

The actual color looks more like the second pic from the bottom (which hasn't been adjusted).

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 8

Time to tackle the smoke rings camo. This is the original:

155_3

I took up Giorgio N's @Giorgio N advice which he gave earlier in this thread and tried mixing Lifecolor Verde Oliva Scuro (Dark Olive Green) with Vallejo Glaze Medium; madea few tests on the paint mule and then, after two hours in the spraying booth:

dav

dav

dav

I'm not even half way through :frantic:  The smoke rings need to be in a more "solid" color, if you know what I mean, but I also have to say that in real life they don't look that bad. The plan is to complete the whole camo and then do all the needed touch ups.

Comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 8