The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

I agree with Massimo, the sand covers do look great. Casting resin is way beyond my skill set ( if I have one ) so I don't feel qualified to comment on your ailerons except that the fabric effect looks suitably subtle to me, so many manufacturers overdo it.

Cheers

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Inspiring work Giemme,I'm going to build Italeri/Bileck's Veltro  as my first Italian subject so excellent references here,off topic I recall back in the seventies

on one of my visit's to Italy by train pulling into one of the cities (Milan?) passing a large old industrial site and in huge but faded letters on the wall were

the word's Savoia Marchetti,as an aircraft modeller the name familier to me,great work look forward to the rest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I agree with Massimo, the sand covers do look great. Casting resin is way beyond my skill set ( if I have one ) so I don't feel qualified to comment on your ailerons except that the fabric effect looks suitably subtle to me, so many manufacturers overdo it.

Thanks John :thumbsup:  Regarding the ailerons, it is true that the fabric effect is normally overdone, but with primer and paint and this specific camo scheme, that effect is highly reduced, hence my pondering about how to proceed ... :hmmm: 

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Inspiring work Giemme,I'm going to build Italeri/Bileck's Veltro  as my first Italian subject so excellent references here,off topic I recall back in the seventies

on one of my visit's to Italy by train pulling into one of the cities (Milan?) passing a large old industrial site and in huge but faded letters on the wall were

the word's Savoia Marchetti,as an aircraft modeller the name familier to me,great work look forward to the rest.

Thanks Steve! :thumbsup:  Savoia Marchetti was in Milan (and other places around it), you recall correctly. Originally named SIAI Marchetti, then changed to the new name after merging with another aircraft company, back in the 30's of last century. Not that I knew all that stuff already, but a quick search on Internet turned out some great info. There's something in English here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIAI-Marchetti but largely incomplete.

Ciao

• Like 1

12 hours ago, giemme said:

but after 24 hours all I got is this:

That's strange Giorgio, I've used it to take off enamels, acrylics & car spray paints. Maybe you're right with your theory about the cellulose thinner somehow etching the paint into the plastic - I do know that it does like to eat unprotected plastic (I'm not letting on how I know that...!! :whistle:)

Still, I have no doubt you'll sort it! 

Keith

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Maybe you're right with your theory about the cellulose thinner somehow etching the paint into the plastic

I'm almost sure I screwed up with that, Keith :chair:

And I wish I had your confidence in me being able to sort this out :D

I'll think over it for tonight, and get back to the bench on the weekend ... :hmmm:

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody; usual WE progress report, although I didn't do much. Had to deal with an annoying back-ache , which involved also neck and legs, and couldn't find a position to rest. Well, that's sorting now.

Not sure if this had an influence on what happened, but I had a clumsiness episode:

dav

What? The fuselage halves had already been glued quite some time ago, you say. Yes, of course; but I dropped it on my way to the spraying booth ... :chair:  A lot of names were called, most of them referred to myself ...

Anyway: bottom side split up, the windshield came off and the IP and seat popped out of place too. I was luckily able to put everything back in the original places, but I fear I'll have to do some tricky paint touch ups on top of the IP.

The travel to the spray booth was intended to airbrush Grigio Azzurro Chiaro (Light Blue Grey) inside the U/C bay:

dav

dav

and on a few other bits, namely the bulkhead, the tail wheel and its covers

dav

Here is the U/C bay after a gloss coat and a black tempera wash

dav

dav

There's bound to be more weathering, but later in the build.

Ailerons: I decided to try and reinstate some of the ribbing, so used thin tape strips to mark their position

dav

and used two different kind of rounded files working in between said strips

dav

The effect is much softer than what you see in the pic. I also glued two strips of 0.5mm plastic card on the wing side of the longest aileron, to reproduce the curved profile

dav

which I attained using a flat file and the curved scraping gizmo. Going to do the same for the other one and for the shorter segment of both, while I think I'll leave the outer, narrower section alone.

Trying to get those masters ready for mould making within the week, hopefully :frantic:

I also started another thing, which is a different way of reproducing wingtip lights:

dav

basically, I plunge moulded those clear parts on the wing tips (of the paint mule, the same whose ailerons were cut off, as you can see from the shape) 

The idea is to cut out the light covers, instead of using plain clear plastic to be glued and shaped in place, a I normally do. If it works, it should add a nice touch of realism - if it works ...

Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 6

See, I told you that you'd soon sort those ailerons out...!!

But I do have to wonder why you were taking the fuselage to the spray booth to spray the u/c bays....??!!  :whistle::D  Looks like a good save of your :oops:moment anyway! :)

Hope those light covers work, they'll look brilliant...(sorry!)

Keith

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

But I do have to wonder why you were taking the fuselage to the spray booth to spray the u/c bays....??!!

Because part of the wing roots inner side is visible through the bays, even with covers on. Not much, really, but I just couldn't leave it unpainted. :banghead: 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Hope those light covers work, they'll look brilliant...(sorry!)

Keith

:D  :D Hopefully so

Ciao

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, giemme said:

Because part of the wing roots inner side is visible through the bays, even with covers on. Not much, really, but I just couldn't leave it unpainted. :banghead: 

Ah right, I thought you were just taking it for a walk....!! :D

K

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Another great update Giorgio, fantastic work on the ailerons. I've been thinking about ways to simulate the often 'wavy' or dimpled surface of many aircraft in reference pics.

Cheers Cookie, thank you :thumbsup:  Will see how the resin copies look - I'm prepared to some reworking on them, though :wink: 

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

More excellent progress and I hope your back is okay now.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :thumbsup: My back is OK-ish, but quickly improving. At least I could get proper rest, last night - which makes a great deal of difference.

Ciao

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

A rather pleasurable 30 minute catch up G. The vacu form wheel wells are superb. Actually every little bit is stunning, great work. I won't leave it so long next time.

Johnny. :penguin:

Thanks Johnny :thumbsup: Glad you were able to catch up; I haven't been doing that much, though :banghead:

Next report should hopefully cover the resin casting experiment; the mould is ready, I just need to pour resin in it. Wish me luck, guys!

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

So far so good, I dare say. I completed the aileron masters

dav

dav

Following Steve's ( @Fritag ) advice, I glued a 0.5mm plastic strip to the ailerons

dav

then I sandwiched it with two other strips

dav

Mould base with plasticine

dav

The whole mould prior to pouring RTV rubber in it

dav

and right afterwards

dav

Quite some bubbles there; I then did several degassing cycles putting the mould inside a chamber vacuum machine, and then let cure at room temperature for 24 hours. This is what I got

dav

Not very visible, but there are a lot more micro-bubbles on the surface - which made me worry a bit ... :hmmm: 

But I was then quite relieved when I saw that on the mould side walls there were none

dav

dav

dav

So here's the mould, after removing the masters and plasticine (I did a bit more of clean up after this shot).

dav

Ready to pour resin in now, which is probably going to happen tonight - so I should hopefully be able to post the result tomorrow.

Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 6

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Wowza. Leveling up those modeling skills. :clap2: 

Johnny

Hopefully so ... :wink: 

2 hours ago, massimo said:

Mmmmhhhh...looks promising!!!

Welcome to the word of resin makers!!!

Hide contents

Thanks Massimo - but let's first see how this attempt turns out, before counting me in ... :analintruder:  :penguin: 

Ciao

• Like 1