The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

1 hour ago, Leonl said:

Thanks for sharing those fantastic pictures..... Beautiful.... All of them, mountains, food, modelling!

Cheers Leon, thanks! :thumbsup:

Ciao

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Looks a bit cold to me...sorry, not a mountain fan - no head for heights. But it does look very pretty!

Ian

Not that cold (7 Cenigrades) but very windy, at least that day. But I understand, my wife isn't a mountain fan, too - she likes the 30-40 Centigrades temperature range :frantic:

Ciao

40 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely catch up G. Dems frets look amazebobs. :lol: wondeful mountains too.

john

Frets? What are frets? I only know frets on my guitar ... :frantic:  :shrug:  Thanks anyway :D:D

Ciao

• Haha 3

Hi everybody, massive update this time.

Been working on U/C legs and wheels, I think I can call them completed now. 

Here's tail wheel, painted and weathered

dav

dav

The painting sequence is nothing fancy: airbrushing primer, then Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey. Then my usual mix for tires: flat black, dark gull grey and flat brown, by brush. Then some drybrush on the tread using a mix of light gull grey and sand yellow, more drybrush with light gull grey on the strut, a black tempera wash and a final flat clear coat.

Main wheel legs, again all painted and weathered

dav

dav

dav

dav

and main wheels (similar procedure as used for the tail wheel, plus some sponge technique for the tire sides with Light Gull Grey)

dav

dav

The spinner/propeller received a bit of black tempera wash too, and a final flat clear coat

dav

dav

Same for the radiator flap

dav

Here I brushed on a good amount of black tempera wash; then using a stiff brush, I applied light strokes in the air flow direction; after that, a moist cotton bud to remove any excess.

While the airbrush was loaded with flat clear (I used Lifecolor Matt Clear for these parts) I also sprayed the canopy, then unmasked it

dav

dav

It's now safely stored away, waiting for the opening levers (which I need to scratch build) and some weathering

Time to start with the main airframe weathering! :pilot: First step was to use the black tempera wash for the movable surfaces lines and for the various vents, holes etc

dav

dav

dav

dav

The front cowling gap was also accentuated with the black wash

dav

dav

dav

Then I mixed some blue, yellow and Burnt Siena tempera for the upper side panel lines; I didn't want a too stark of a contrast, and this way you get a sort of brownish wash

dav

dav

dav

I think I'll need another round with that, and also to reinforce a bit the black wash in some selected spots - going very feather handed here, I don't want to overdo (even though, with tempera it's pretty easy to recover any mess, you just need water and a cotton bud :winkgrin: )

Any comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

• Like 11

2 hours ago, massimo said:

Nice weathering!

Maybe another go on the main airframe and it'll be it!

Landing gears look fine to me.I like the sponge effect on tyres!!!:yes:

Cheers Massimo, thanks :thumbsup:

Yes, one more pin wash round and I should be done with panel lines :winkgrin:

43 minutes ago, Leonl said:

I'm interested to hear how you masked the tyres/wheels so well...

Actually I haven't masked them, Leon; I used my standard procedure, partially described above for the tail wheel. After priming, I airbrushed the rim color on (in this case Grigio Mimetico, that is Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey). Then for the tire, I normally use a wet brush to put some water along the rim edge, and then with another brush dipped in the tire color, I barely touch the wet area and let the paint flow. The rest is standard brush painting.

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Wow giemme,

I think you if you added some aviation fuel ⛽️ she would fly👍

This is has been such a great build to watch and read about and I and looking forward to your updates 🤓

Cheers,

Mr.Happy (In name only)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I like the logic of different colour pin washes for different purposes/parts of the airframe - definitely giving you a more sophisticated finish :D

Nice brushing technique on the wheels too :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve :thumbsup: The different color washes should hopefully give the right look to the model - no panel lines at all looks too toy like, to my eye, but this kind of camouflage doesn't go along with a generic black wash

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'm sure I've said this before, & I'm sure I'll say it again - lovely work Giorgio...!! :thumbsup:

Keith

Cheers Keith, glad you like it :thumbsup:

Ciao

On 16/08/2017 at 9:10 PM, giemme said:

Frets? What are frets? I only know frets on my guitar ... :frantic:  :shrug:  Thanks anyway :D:D

Ciao

Sorry. I should really proof read my messages " legs " is what I wrote. At least I think that's what I wrote. Great work G that weathering looks great.

johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

Very nice weathering work!!

I'm not sure if it's too "soft" .. but it depends of what you want to do ... jejeje i like the extreme weathering but i understand that it's not the common way to do it. 

It's almost ready!! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Leonl said:

Thanks for the tip... I'll certainly give it a go..

No problem, Leon. :thumbsup: It's a lot easier than it sounds, you'll get the hang of it in no time

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry. I should really proof read my messages " legs " is what I wrote. At least I think that's what I wrote. Great work G that weathering looks great.

johnny

:D Alright, now I got it. Thanks Johnny :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Thom216 said:

That Falgore is looking nice!

Cheers Thom, thanks :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Jamie_Graham said:

Very nice weathering work!!

I'm not sure if it's too "soft" .. but it depends of what you want to do ... jejeje i like the extreme weathering but i understand that it's not the common way to do it. 

It's almost ready!! 

Thanks Jamie :thumbsup: I'm all for a well battered aircraft, but I prefer to have photographic evidence of that - which are very limited, in this case. Anyway, there's going to be a bit more of weathering after the panel lines wash, you'll see :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Giorgio, I've just been back and looked again at the photos in yesterday's posts; e.g:

I have to say that she's looking dazzlingly good.  

Cheers Steve, thank you, I'm glad you like her :thumbsup: 

Ciao

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking very sweet indeed G.

Time well spent there.

The U/C looks great, like the weathering on the tyres.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Weathering is a time consuming task, but as you say, I think it's time well spent. Still some to do, though :pilot:

Ciao

On 18/8/2017 at 22:03, PlaStix said:

Truly beautiful modelling Giorgio.  :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thanks :thumbsup:

Hi everybody, as anticipated I did another round of panel line wash, and here's the result:

dav

It doesn't show up very well under artificial direct light, though

dav

Like I did on the top surfaces, on the bottom side I used a black tempera wash for flaps, ailerons and elevators lines and a dark grey one for all the other panel lines

dav

Then I airbrushed the whole model with Italeri Flat Clear, thinned with Windex and water

dav

dav

dav

Exhaust fumes: a mix of Tamiya Flat Black, Flat Brown and Dark Sea Grey, very thinned and airbrushed at very low pressure

dav

Then a bit more of weathering on the movable surfaces: using a light grey tempera mix, very thinned, I went over the fabric covered areas in between ribs. In next pic, on the left the aileron is done, on the right undone

dav

Same on the rudder, but again this effect is very subtle and not easy to catch on a photo - should hopefully be more visible when I take RFI pics

dav

Aileron top side (You may notice I removed the masking from windshield and cockpit :) )

dav

Then I started working on the resin exhausts: double taped them on a wood block

dav

and using the stiff brush technique with Model Master Metallizer Titanium ( I ran out of burnt metal, I really need to find someone in Italy stocking these paints :frantic: )

dav

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1