The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

59 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Another great update Giorgio, really looking the part now! Strangely enough I've managed to break off a nav light on a 1/48 P-47 I've been working on for a while (a long while...!!), but in my case it's the green one - and it's been off more than once!

Thank K! :thumbsup:  Sorry to hear about your nav light, it is rather annoying when it happens, ain't it? :chair: 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I really like the metal effect you've got on the prop blades & spinner. I've meant to ask before when you've mentioned the brush technique with metalizer - is this when you shake the bottle well & then dip the brush in the paint that's left in the lid of the bottle, & then almost dry brush it on? Or do you have a different method? I've a fair few old bottles of the stuff in stock & would like to see if I could get a finish somewhere close to yours!

That's exactly the method I've used. Works a threat, and I wish to thank once more @Cookenbacher for pointing it out. 

I'm running out of stock with mines and can't find them anymore in Italy  - and they don't dispatch from UK because potentially hazardous blah blah. :badmood: So I'm using them very sparingly.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

PS just been talking to my 2 year old grand-daughter on the phone, & now whenever we say 'bye bye' to her, the reply is 'Ciao Ciao'...!! :D L

:D:D:D Cute girl! You should teach her Italian :winkgrin: 

Very nice Giemme.

The perils of builds, what do you leave off until the end?

All looking extremely good mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Yes, always a matter of trying to leave off as much as possible to avoid clumsiness side effects ... :banghead: 

Ciao

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, giemme said:

You should teach her Italian :winkgrin: 

I can barely speak English! I have no idea where she picked it up from, must be nursery school!

Thanks for the info on the Metalizer, must give it a go ! (that's if the bottles I have haven't gone solid, I haven't actually looked at them for years...!)

K

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

(that's if the bottles I have haven't gone solid, I haven't actually looked at them for years...!)

That seems the kind of stuff that would last forever, if the cap is properly fastened ...

20 minutes ago, Leonl said:

Nice update. I wondered how you'd tackle masking that lovely plumbing in the wheel wells....

Leon

Cheers Leon, thank you :thumbsup:  That soft spongy stuff is very useful for the task, I often use it for masking :winkgrin: 

Ciao

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gene K said:

"Clumsiness"? You could be a jeweler.

Then my carpet monster would be very wealthy ... :D :D :D 

Thanks Gene

Ciao

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Amazing detail as always Giorgio, and I can't wait to see the 'egg' camouflage. I didn't know IPA was OK for Lifecolor.

If you're running out of MM metalizer, it seems that Mr. Metal Color acts in a similar way.

Thanks Cookie! :thumbsup:  I found out about IPA and Lifecolor in this very thread, because @davmarx mentioned it :thumbsup2:  Please note it's not pure IPA, though: it's a commercial product made with water and roughly 15% IP in it.

Thanks also for the heads up on metallic pains, but I'm afraid if you read all along that thread, these are not a real alternative. On page 2 there's a shot of that thunderbolt after a few years, and the BMF finish went completely bonkers :frantic: 

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Yet another impressive update! I do like the metal effect on the prop blades and spinner. Lovely job! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thank you. :thumbsup:  I'm pretty happy with the metal effect too, even if very little will be seen - only some very light chipping (I promise, Gene :D )

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Wonderful work once again G.

that spinner looks amazing. Metaliser you say.:hmmm: I shall look out for some of that.

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :thumbsup: - Model Master or Testor (same stuff) Metallizer is what you want to find, the "buff" version 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Primer is on, everybody! :yahoo: 

OK, let's go through things in the correct order. windshield masking completed, using some blue tack blobs (apologies, some of the pictures were taken in a hurry, so are quite blurry)

dav

I then airbrushed Tamiya Flat Black for the internal framing color

dav

masked off the wingtip lights

dav

dav

And there she goes, primed by airbrush with the usual mix of Vallejo Grey Primer and Future

dav

As I expected, the primer coat showed some touch ups to do; port wing leading edge

dav

Bottom fuselage to wings joint

dav

port wing root trailing edge

dav

The elevators, however, came out pretty good:

dav

dav

So after the remedial works, I'll have to airbrush another light primer coat, then I should be ready for painting

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 7

7 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Good giemme! :clap:

For your ability, these little problems are nothing... 

Thanks Matteo :thumbsup: Little problems, still annoying :banghead:

Ciao

Hi everybody, painting on the C202 has officially started! :yahoo: 

After the minor touch ups needed and another primer coat, I did some preshading, using Tamiya Black Green for panel lines and Tamiya Flat Black for the movable surfaces gaps and for the bottom wing panel lines

dav

dav

dav

Then I airbrushed Grigio Mimetico on the bottom wings  - Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey thinned with Future and a bit of Windex, in several light coats (pictures straight form the spraying booth)

dav

dav

dav

Once dry, I added some Lifecolor Matt White to the mix, and sprayed randomly in the middle of the panels, insisting a bit more on the fabric covered movable surfaces

dav

dav

Then I went over it with a couple of Future coats, as a protective prior to masking:

dav

The tail wheel well was brush painted, same color as for the bottom wings

dav

dav

Before going on with painting, I added the antenna cable attachment point on the tail fin:

dav

dav

This was done cutting out a suitable strip from wine cap lead foil, and gluing it in place with CA. I meant to do this before priming, but I just forgot it :banghead: - so here it is now, primed by brush 

dav

Masking ...

dav

dav

dav

And on with painting: I used Lifecolor Verde Scuro Mimetico, again thinned with Future and Windex

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

The above pics were taken when the paint was still drying, as you can see. Once cured, like I did on the bottom area, I added some Lifecolor Matt White to the mix and post shaded spraying in the middle of panels and on the fabric covered parts:

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

The splotched egg camo pattern is going to break up most of this pre/post shading effect - reason why i tried to keep it as pronounced as possible :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 13

Hi, Giorgio.

Cloudy and rainy weekend there in Bergamo, wasn't it? So no bbq or pool swimming. Just modeling.
Nice to see some colours on the 202. Great effect already at this stage.

Brillant and brave solution for the antenna cable attachment.

Bye

Eugenio

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 72linerlover said:

Hi, Giorgio.

Cloudy and rainy weekend there in Bergamo, wasn't it? So no bbq or pool swimming. Just modeling.
Nice to see some colours on the 202. Great effect already at this stage.

Brillant and brave solution for the antenna cable attachment.

Bye

Eugenio

Eer ... Eemm ... actually, since we only had a light storm on Sunday morning, I also had plenty of pool and BBQ time :winkgrin: Airbrushing only at night (and it still was too hot, I kept having clogging problems ...)

Thanks for your comment, Eugenio :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, Leonl said:

That is looking great, really excited to see this progressing....

Yeah, me too! :winkgrin::D Thanks Leon :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

It is always nice to see the paint going on.

All the hard work done before hand pays off. 

She looks sweet mate. 

:goodjob:

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup:  I think she actually looks a little rough, at the mo ... but in a sweet way :winkgrin:  :D 

Ciao

On with camo painting: Lifecolor Giallo Mimetico (Camouflage Yellow) for the splotches

dav

dav

dav

I left port wing root relatively clear from splotches because this part shows repair jobs and an overpaint in gloss grey (some sources say that, a few others mention bare metal - couldn't find anything decisive, so I decided to go for gloss grey)

dav

Bottom side

dav

The splotches were airbrushed thinning Lifecolor paint with "Alcool Puro Bianco", a commercial product containing water and IPA at around 10-15% (and perfume :winkgrin: ).

I tried a range of pressures form 0.5 to 1 bar, the better control I got was at around 0.8. There is some touch up needed, but the yellow splotches are now going to be covered with Marrone Mimetico (camouflage brown), sprayed in a way to only leave the outer edges showing through  - that is going to be tricky :analintruder:  :frantic: Wish me luck!

Ciao

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Giorgio, great painting!

If Caravaggio had had an airbrush in his hands, he wouldn't have been be so clever.

Next task tricky? No, very very tricky.

So, send your family to Oriocenter with your credit card, switch off your phone and start up your compressor.

And good luck2.

Eugenio

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 72linerlover said:

Giorgio, great painting!

If Caravaggio had had an airbrush in his hands, he wouldn't have been be so clever.

Way too kind, Eugenio, thanks :thumbsup: 

51 minutes ago, 72linerlover said:

Next task tricky? No, very very tricky.

So, send your family to Oriocenter with your credit card

That has already happened, yesterday - now my credit card needs a rest! :frantic:  :D 

48 minutes ago, basket said:

Just wow ! Doing this paint job free hand seems impossible to me. Congrats !

And ... finger crossed for the Marrone Mimetico step !

Cheers basket, thank you :thumbsup: 

Just now, Giorgio N said:

Great start on the camo scheme, love it !!!!

Thanks G! :thumbsup: 

Ciao