The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

Hi everybody; WE progress report airing on Tuesday - very busy day yesterday at work :frantic: 

Little time for modelling last WE; I went to a local model show in Cremona on Saturday where I met Silvano ( @phantom61 ) and Eugenio ( @72linerlover). Great to meet you there, guys! :thumbsup:

Eugenio brought along a Macchi C205 in 1/72 he made a few years back ( :winkgrin: ) which is a little gem, with engine, machine guns and wheel bay details and removable engine covers  - crazy small parts in that scale! :frantic::thumbsup: 

Many outstanding models in general, I'm eagerly waiting for them to upload the show report on their website :Tasty: 

Back to the update: wing dihedral for the C202

dav

Installing the water radiator: I first masked the corresponding fuselage area to spray some Lifecolor Grigio Mimetico, as I think it would have been very difficult once the radiator is in place

dav

here it is after primer  and a couple of Grigio Mimetico (Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey) coats

dav

I did the same for the radiator cover internal part and for the front and back lips

dav

dav

The radiator itself received a black tempera wash:

dav

dav

and was then glued in place with CA

dav

Cover is on; I used CA inside, where it mates the bottom of the radiator, and Tamiya Green Cap along the edges touching the fuselage

dav

Some filling is required here, as the reference pic show a very smooth area, with some sort of fairing from the radiator cover to the fuselage.

dav

Same on the other side, although less "gappy" :)

There are a few more tasks to be accomplished prior to priming the model, one of which is scratch building the wingtip navigation lights; so I cut out the plastic ones

dav

dav

and glued in two bits of clear plastic, using CA gel

dav

dav

The light bulb was reproduced drilling a 0.4mm hole in them and brush painting some Tamiya Clear Blue and Clear Red, sealed with a drop of Future

The idea is to leave this cure for a couple of days, then start sanding the clear plastic back to shape and polishing it - tonight's job, probably :pilot: 

I've also started working on spinner and propeller, cleaning the parts

dav

The spinner plate mounting peg is designed to be inserted into the fuselage prior to mating the two halves, so as to allow for a spinning propeller; since I couldn't care less for that, I decided to leave the mounting hole free, to be used to insert a supporting rod for the painting stage, and I modified the mounting peg cutting away the largest part

dav

Test fit

dav

and glued to the spinner plate

dav

Spinner and propeller dry fit, pretty good:

dav

Another dry fit of the spinner plate to the fuselage shows I need to sand flat the front fuselage area

dav

here you can see it better

dav

That's it for this WE progress report, comments welcome as ever

Ciao

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

it always seems to take an age to fit the smaller parts

Tell me about it! :frantic:  :frantic:

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Stately progress Giorgio. 

:star:

I noticed in that last update  that you mentioned the use of

black tempera wash

on the radiator.

The only tempera I know of is the ancient technique for painting frescoes, using egg as a binder for the pigment.

Are you actually using that process on a kit?

(Brilliant if you are BTW!)

Tony

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The only tempera I know of is the ancient technique for painting frescoes, using egg as a binder for the pigment.

And of course applied (by everyone expect Leonardo - who thought he knew better,,,,,,) to wet plaster.....

So maybe Giorgio is perfecting a wet on wet technique here? :whistle:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Another very interesting update Giemme and great attention to the smaller details as usual. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Sitx, thanks! :thumbsup: 

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Stately progress Giorgio. 

:star:

I noticed in that last update  that you mentioned the use of

on the radiator.

Are you actually using that process on a kit?

(Brilliant if you are BTW!)

Tony

Errr.... Ehmm... yes that's the origin of tempera paints; along the ages other substances have been used as binders, now you can easily find it in this form:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/like/151103249949?chn=ps

It's commonly used in primary school around here - in fact I'm using leftovers from my daughters' school stuff :winkgrin: 

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

So maybe Giorgio is perfecting a wet on wet technique here? :whistle:

:rofl: Yes, of course B)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, giemme said:

It's commonly used in primary school around here - in fact I'm using leftovers from my daughters' school stuff :winkgrin: 

Thanks for the link Giorgio. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I didn't want to show my ignorance by asking about tempera paints, but it looks from your link that they might be similar to artist's gouache.

John

Didn't know about gouache, but looking on Internet it looks like a variant of tempera. It really seems odd to me that modern tempera tubes aren't a common knowledge among you, guys :confused:

I recall using them in grade school back then, and nowadays you can find cheap tempera paints in every supermarket around here.

Ciao

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I have just spent a good half hour catching up With this little beauty. So much detail in that UC. The fidelity of your Modelling is amazing G.:worthy:

excelent work sir.

Johnny.

Cheers Johnny, thank you, way too kind :thumbsup:

Little Friday update: wingtip nav light are now completed. Top view

dav

dav

Bottom view

dav

dav

Water radiator: PPP to fill in the gaps

dav

dav

Once dry, I used a moist microfiber rag to remove the excess

dav

dav

Some refining was done using and old pointy brush dumped in water. I think a primer coat will reveal the need for some touch ups - will see.

I also added some details on both sides of the radiator cover, using a 0.25mm styrene sheet and the usual very thin yogurt cup plastic

dav

dav

Glued in place with a drop of CA gel and then sealed with Tamiya Green Cap. They now need some sanding/refining and some riveting, but I'm allowing at least 24 hours to cure before touching them.

using the same yogurt cup plastic, I scratch built the four wing root join strengthening plates

dav

They were all glued in place with Tamiya Green Cap

dav

Once cured, I did some random riveting on them, especially on port side wing, as the reference pictures for this aircraft show some extensive repair jobs made in that area and others pictures of different airframes show different riveting patterns.

dav

dav

Now I need to do the same thing on the bottom side. :frantic: 

One last thing for today: using various scribers, I went along the top and bottom engine cowling panel lines. As stated before, on the real aircraft (both the C202 and C205) there is a 13mm gap between them and the fuselage, which roughly scales down to 0.27mm in 1/48

dav

dav

dav

The bottom cowl didn't need any rescribing as you can see :winkgrin:

That's it for the day, have a great WE everybody

Ciao

• Like 11

Pay attention, Giorgio,

the gap on the port side runs even on the air duct fairing.

Nice choice of tempera wash. I always use them. When I have to let it run in small gaps or angles, I wet the parts with a mix of water and dish soap (just a drop). This acts as surfactant and allows the paint to run “automatically” wherever you need.

Bye

Euge

• Like 2

Some more impressive work Giorgio !

The lights are very well done, this IMHO is one small detail that makes a huge difference in terms of realism. Not surprised about the neatness of the radiator work of course, I know by now what you can do there. Great work on those plates too, again a seemingly small detail that however can make a big difference.

Slightly OT: It's a pity that I couldn't be in Cremona on Saturday, would have been very happy to meet you there. I'm sure I "know" Eugenio and Silvano from an Italian forum, would have been great to meet them too

• Like 1

Another cracking update Giorgio, the wheel bays look amazing when you actually see them in place (although they did of course look amazing when you were building them!) Love the lights too, I've been doing them like that for years too - but somehow mine never lookas good...!!

Have a great weekend yourself!

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72linerlover said:

Pay attention, Giorgio,

the gap on the port side runs even on the air duct fairing.

Nice choice of tempera wash. I always use them. When I have to let it run in small gaps or angles, I wet the parts with a mix of water and dish soap (just a drop). This acts as surfactant and allows the paint to run “automatically” wherever you need.

Bye

Euge

Thanks Euge, now I understand what that bulgy thing on the back part of the supercharger intake is :banghead:  As for tempera washes, I do exactly the same thing; I have a small jar of premixed black tempera, water and dish soap, and a bigger jar with just water and dish soap, to be used when needed with other colors (even with acrylics, sometimes :winkgrin: )

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Some more impressive work Giorgio !

The lights are very well done, this IMHO is one small detail that makes a huge difference in terms of realism. Not surprised about the neatness of the radiator work of course, I know by now what you can do there. Great work on those plates too, again a seemingly small detail that however can make a big difference.

Slightly OT: It's a pity that I couldn't be in Cremona on Saturday, would have been very happy to meet you there. I'm sure I "know" Eugenio and Silvano from an Italian forum, would have been great to meet them too

Giorgio, apologies for Cremona! :sorry: I really meant to tell you, but I was uncertain till the very last moment if I could be there on Saturday or Sunday and then  ... I totally forgot to tell you (to my partial excuse, I had some very busy days at work :frantic: ). Thanks a lot for your comments :thumbsup: 

41 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Another cracking update Giorgio, the wheel bays look amazing when you actually see them in place (although they did of course look amazing when you were building them!) Love the lights too, I've been doing them like that for years too - but somehow mine never lookas good...!!

Have a great weekend yourself!

Keith

Cheers Keith, thank you! :thumbsup:  I just noticed from the pics that the red light might need some more sanding and shaping, though. I have to go back to it and check ... :pilot: 

23 minutes ago, Gene K said:

What "moisturizer" did you use?

Looks great ... as always.

Gene K

Thanks Gene :thumbsup:  For PPP, you just need regular water; not too much, or you'll remove it completely; as I said, moist. Same with a brush or a q-tip.

14 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Great work Giemme, like the wing tip lights.

All that seam bashing has turned out well.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks for your support :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, giemme said:

Giorgio, apologies for Cremona! :sorry: I really meant to tell you, but I was uncertain till the very last moment if I could be there on Saturday or Sunday and then  ... I totally forgot to tell you (to my partial excuse, I had some very busy days at work :frantic: ). Thanks a lot for your comments :thumbsup: 

No reason to apologise, I couldn't make it on Saturday anyway and I had previous arrangements for Sunday as well... the Sunday arrangements fell that same morning but at that point for some reason I had erroneusly stuck in my mind that the show was the previous week.. :lol:

all my mistakes !

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

No reason to apologise, I couldn't make it on Saturday anyway and I had previous arrangements for Sunday as well... the Sunday arrangements fell that same morning but at that point for some reason I had erroneusly stuck in my mind that the show was the previous week.. :lol:

all my mistakes !

Next time then! :thumbsup:  :) 

31 minutes ago, matteo44 said:

Great work giemme! :clap:

Bravo!

Grazie Matteo! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Hi everybody, WE progress report: not many pics, as Saturday modelling time went all into testing the camouflage painting on a paint mule. I think I found the right way to reproduce the "eggs" scheme of this C202, but I need to experiment a bit more, so I'll report on that later in the week.

My goal for the weekend was to prime the model, but there's been a few drawbacks so it's now almost ready to get primed. Let's see:

Wing joint reinforcing plates added on the bottom side too:

dav

and riveted:

dav

Then, as Eugenio suggested, I worked on the supercharger intake cowling

dav

Radiator bits cleaned up and riveted

dav

dav

As I said, I had a few drawbacks; while handling the model, I had a few parts coming off, like the windshield :chair:  , red navigation light :chair: , the antenna mast mounting plate, one the fake firewall elements inside the wheel bay ...

So the windshield and light were glued back, and I also glued in a small bit of styrene sheet for the antenna mast

dav

This was sanded and shaped once in place, and I then drilled a hole in it with a 0.4 mm drill

dav

I'll be using a segment of steel wire like this one:

dav

I also drilled holes for mounting the external gunsight, one close to the windshield an the other on the engine cowling

dav

Some masking done too

dav

One last thing I did was to paint the spinner and propeller blades with Model Master Metallizer Steel, using the brush technique:

dav

The steel wire you see there comes from a paper clip, and was used to polish the spinner cover

dav

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 15

Hate when bits come off during the build !!! You recovered the build pretty well though, looking better and better

I'm very curious to see the technique you'll use for the splotched eggs scheme now, looking forward to it !

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Hate when bits come off during the build !!! You recovered the build pretty well though, looking better and better

I'm very curious to see the technique you'll use for the splotched eggs scheme now, looking forward to it !

Thanks G! :thumbsup: I've basically experimented two different painting sequences on my paint mule: one wing airbrushed with the base green first (Verde Mimetico 2) and the yellow patches afterwards, one wing the other way round, sort of spraying the green "around" the yellow. The first sequence is the right one, it looks much better; since I have used only Lifecolor paints, the trick was to get a good control when spraying the small patches, and I think I got it: thinning only with Alcool Puro Bianco (it's a mix of water and IPA, with IPA at around 15%, easily available in craft stores here in Italy), working at slightly less the 1 bar pressure and removing the needle cap from the airbrush.

For larger surfaces, I think my method of thinning Lifecolor paints with Future and a bit of Windex still gives better results.

As I said, I need a bit more experimenting, but I'm getting there :winkgrin:

PS: almost forgot - this camo scheme needs also a third color, to complete the splotched eggs, which is Bruno Mimetico (sort of brown-reddish color). I don't intend to use the corresponding Lifecolor paint for that, but I'll be using a mix of Tamiya colors intead.

No need to experiment with airbrushing them, though, since I can easily get a good control without too much hassle

Ciao

• Like 2

Another great update Giorgio, really looking the part now! Strangely enough I've managed to break off a nav light on a 1/48 P-47 I've been working on for a while (a long while...!!), but in my case it's the green one - and it's been off more than once!

I really like the metal effect you've got on the prop blades & spinner. I've meant to ask before when you've mentioned the brush technique with metalizer - is this when you shake the bottle well & then dip the brush in the paint that's left in the lid of the bottle, & then almost dry brush it on? Or do you have a different method? I've a fair few old bottles of the stuff in stock & would like to see if I could get a finish somewhere close to yours!

Keith

PS just been talking to my 2 year old grand-daughter on the phone, & now whenever we say 'bye bye' to her, the reply is 'Ciao Ciao'...!! :D Like this

• Like 1