The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

Yes Giorgio, it's that one ! Prefer not remember how much I drinked years ago :whistle:

very impressive work to your UC and firewall, old guitar string this is the kind of brilliant idea.

Will not forget it:yes:

I use metal wire wrapped with some textil stuff, normally, it is used for flower decorative, one can paint it easily !

Very flexible and easy to use but guitar string, good stuff too.

I think that I did'nt throw away the old strings from my son's Fender !

Thank for the tip, mate

Sincerely

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Brilliant! B)

Cheers Johnny, tahnks! :thumbsup: 

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Yes Giorgio, it's that one ! Prefer not remember how much I drinked years ago :whistle:

very impressive work to your UC and firewall, old guitar string this is the kind of brilliant idea.

Will not forget it:yes:

I use metal wire wrapped with some textil stuff, normally, it is used for flower decorative, one can paint it easily !

Very flexible and easy to use but guitar string, good stuff too.

I think that I did'nt throw away the old strings from my son's Fender !

Thank for the tip, mate

Sincerely

Corsaircorp

CC, I saw guitar strings used on someone else's build, never tried myself. But for the kind of piping into the C202 wheel bay, I think they would look quite appropriate and save me a lot of time.

My only doubt would be about their stiffness; I'll see if I can get any and try.

Ciao

Hi everybody, WE progress report airing now :winkgrin: 

Been doing some fiddly job for the wheel bay. The main idea is to paint as many components as I can before assembling the internal structure and before gluing it to the wing, in order to reduce to a minimum the detail painting afterwards.

So the modelling activity during the WE went almost all into preparing such components.

One pretty visible thing here is the fuel pump, the yellow thing you see in the middle of this picture

vano01_zpsaf518c76

so I scratch built it from a leftover (it comes from a HASEGAWA 1/48 F-4U Corsair, but I have no idea what it is ... :shrug: ), shaped it  accordingly and added a few other bits to install the various pipes

dav

dav

dav

I glued in two segments of welding wire (very flexible), that are going to be cut to size after I dry fit them into the well structure

dav

dav

Other pipes: green is for engine cooling fluids

davdav

After brush painting them and glossing with Future, I did some Light Grey drybrushing on the corrugated part, followed by a Tan wash (all Lifecolor)

dav

The supercharger air duct was brush painted with a Silver lacquer

dav

I added some structural elements to the fuselage section visible through the wheel bay (thin plastic strip coming from the usual yogurt pot, glued in place with Tamiya Green cap)

dav

and after a primer coat (Vallejo Grey), I airbrushed Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey, which looks a good match to Grigio Mimetico, the intended color for the lower surface and wheel wells

dav

dav

dav

The fake firewall was airbrushed Tamiya Flat Black, instead

dav

while the wing interior was brush painted, simply because I forgot to paint it while I had Dark Gull Grey in my airbrush :chair: 

dav

Some detail painting, drybrush and weathering on the various sections

dav

dav

dav

dav

The wheel leg actuators were airbrushed Tamiya Flat Black too, gloss coated and slightly weathered, then glue in place with some CA gel

dav

as you can see, there's a pretty evident glue smear (happens some times with CA gel :banghead:  :chair: ). I'm hoping this will be hidden by pipes and all the rest, because a touch up here is going to be extremely painful ...

Anyway: here's a dryfit of the main parts

dav

used to glue the reinforcing aluminium structure to the wing spar, so that I can remove the top and the fake firewall and insert all the other bits

dav

A bit of tidying up needed on the alu frame, but I'll let it set properly first.

Here's  how the other two parts look together (still a dry fit, except for the supercharger air duct, secured with CA)

dav

A couple more sessions and I should be able to glue the wings in, me thinks! :pilot:

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 13

It seems that your british and american followers are away for holyday today.

So let me be the first to comment this w.e. report.

Amazing bits there to dress up the wheel bay, but among the other, the supercharger air duct has a stellar finish.

Bye

Euge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72linerlover said:

It seems that your british and american followers are away for holyday today.

So let me be the first to comment this w.e. report.

Amazing bits there to dress up the wheel bay, but among the other, the supercharger air duct has a stellar finish.

Bye

Euge

Grazie Eugenio! :thumbsup: Bank Holiday maybe?

I was pretty chuffed myself at how that duct came out, and maybe I should expand more on how I painted it: as mentioned in an earlier post, it's a piece of copper pipe, bent to shape and primed by brush with Vallejo Grey Primer. I coated it with Future (again by brush) before applying the silver lacquer, thinned with water and again brush painted. A couple of layers ot three and it was done.

Ciao  

11 hours ago, rob85 said:

Quite the update giemme, looks like you have done a lot of detail work and it's looking like it's really making the difference!

Rob

:thumbsup: Hopefully so, Rob, otherwise it would just turn into the biggest waste of time ever  :banghead::banghead: 

Ciao

I'm slowly catching up Giorgio. I'm about 10 pages behind now.

I'm keeping my eyes closed on this page as I don't want to spoil the story for myself :D.

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I'm slowly catching up Giorgio. I'm about 10 pages behind now.

I'm keeping my eyes closed on this page as I don't want to spoil the story for myself :D.

Best regards 

TonyT

:D Alright, don't spoil it. But I haven't done that much, you'll catch up in no time :winkgrin: 

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Another fascinating update Giorgio. I am always impressed by your patience and skill. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thanks :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

The accumulation of structure in that last update is most handsome Giorgio! :thumbsup2:

Thanks Baron :thumbsup: Yet more to come :coolio: 

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work as ever Giemme.

The wheel bays will soon look busy.

Simon.

Hopefully so Simon, thank you :thumbsup: 

Tonight's modelling session starting .... now! :pilot: 

Ciao

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Leonl said:

Ooo very nice detail work.

I find glue smears almost disappear under a brief coat of matt.....

Thanks Leon :thumbsup: Not sure one flat coat will be enough, see below ...

6 hours ago, Fritag said:

U/C bay is really progressing Giorgio; the actuators look pin sharp and neat.  And good modelling fun by the looks of it.

Thanks Steve, glad you like them actuators :thumbsup: As for modelling fun, see below...

Not much progress last night, but I thought I'd show it anyway; as I said, I scratch built a fuel pump. I also scratch built a very technological tool to bend welding wires without putting any dent in them ... :coolio: 

dav

:D  :D  It works, anyway (I did actually use it also for the control stick firing cables in both cockpits, and had no paint flaking :coolio: )

Here's what Steve called "good modelling fun"

dav

All dry fit (and the bloody glue smear very visible, Leon ... :( )

Next pic: can you spot what looks like a dent in port side wing root?

dav

That is actually a vent (on both the C202 and the C205), where one of the fuel pump pipes goes to; so I drilled it out

dav

Not much, as  I said. Bank Holiday here in Italy tomorrow, so have a great WE!

Ciao

• Like 13

2 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Very nice work!

Congratulations :clap:

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Great work Giemme.

The "high tech tool" must of cost a fortune LOL.

Looking very busy in the U/C bays.

Simon.

9 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I also call it great modelling result..............:D

Cheers guys, thank you. :thumbsup:

Sorry for not posting the usual WE progress report today, but I had a very busy day at work; plus I took 40+ pictures during this long WE, so it's taking me a bit more to post an updated. Should be able to put it on tomorrow 

Ciao

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I expect that the engine will start right up on the first try with all the meticulous work you've put into the fuel system.

:D Thanks Cookie! Judging by the reference pictures of the period, you still need a couple or three strong guys to start the engine :analintruder:

I had an interesting long week end, partially screwed by the Champions League Final :( and definitely annihilated by what happened in London and Turin - but let's stay positive!

Pool is now operational, and had my first bath last Friday, which is pretty early in the season :) 

dav

Here's the view from the top of the boarding ladder 

sdr

Saturday went for a walk on a hill nearby home, about 20 min, here's the landscape

sdr

Ok, not the wild nature of Scotland and not even the British countryside, but hey, Milan is just about 30 km to the right and this area is probably the most densely populated in Italy, so I'm happy with this :winkgrin:

Right, modelling :D 

Fuel pump painted and wethered

dav

dav

and in place:

dav

dav

One more green pipe with a corrugated section needed, here's my setup to scratch build it

dav

copper wires of different section used here

dav

Primed, painted, weathered and in place:

dav

Some additional yellow (fuel) pipes, made from 0,6 mm welding wire

dav

Then I glued this assembly in place:

dav

dav

The additional holes you see in the wing spar are for other fuel pipes, that I'll put in place after the U/C bay door actuators are installed.

Gluing the top wings

dav

While those were setting, I started working on the bottom engine cowl, "opening" the vents with a scriber

dav

Some mould lines both sides needed to be removed; before

dav

and after

dav

Oil radiator: didn't like the way it is represented here:

dav

dav

So to reproduce a sort of mesh intake guard, I used a woman tight cutout, glued in with CA:

dav

and refined with a blade

dav

Brush painted with Lifecolor Flat Natural metal

dav

Here's how it looks

dav

dav

One last set of pictures; this is a double build, remember? :coolio: :D 

So, while waiting for glued parts to cure etc, I worked on the C205 antenna mast; being this an early model (Serie I) it sported the C202 style mast, on the right in next pic

dav

The receiving hole in the C205 fuselage is way too big, and it would leave a noticeable gap once the mast is in position, so I filled it in with some sprue

dav

Cut, sanded and polished

dav

Drilled out again, proper size

dav

and dry fit the mast

dav

I've already started working on joining the wings to the fuselage on the C202, but this will be in next progress report.

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 15

Some more plumbing done there Giemme, and looks great.

A wonderful view from your pool mate, and some great countryside too (I live in the city centre, so not much views)

Nice one on the oil cooler, but did th Mrs miss her tights?

Simon.

• Like 2

Thanks Simon! :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

but did th Mrs miss her tights?

:D I duly asked her for permission to get a scrapped pair, clearly stating what it was for .... :ninja:  :whip:

Ciao

• Like 2

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Ok, not the wild nature of Scotland and not even the British countryside, but hey, Milan is just about 30 km to the right and this area is probably the most densely populated in Italy, so I'm happy with this :winkgrin:

Not surprised you're happy Giorgio;  great looking landscaping - which allows me to segue into saying great looking update...........:)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1