The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

A long weekend Giemme and a long update.

Lots done, and starting to button up.

She looks ace mate.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks :thumbsup:  I was sort of looking forward to buttoning up the fuselage halves, it looks like I'm really progressing :winkgrin: 

5 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Impressive work on the cockpit, the seat belt assembly alone is a small masterpiece !

Love the overall finish, the resin parts may be very good from the factory, but your painting skills made them become real

Thanks, G, much appreciated! :thumbsup: The SBS cockpit is indeed very good ,detail painting is a lot easier when you have this kind of raw material

1 hour ago, Thom216 said:

Great work on the cockpits, as the fine details really pop out.

Cheers Thom, thank you! :thumbsup:

39 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, a special 'Wednesday' Monday update - worth the wait! I love the step-by-step photos of the seat being painted - although I still think it's magic.

Glad you like it Cookie - and sorry for the wait :) :thumbsup: I always thought painting is a kind of magic - but I don't consider myself as one of the wizards ... 

Ciao

• Like 1

Lovely.  I really like the sophisticated painting on the seats and belts (I guess all that time spent figure painting isn't a waste of time after all :whistle: (sorry)).  Brings the kit to life :) 

• Like 2

Just now, Fritag said:

(I guess all that time spent figure painting isn't a waste of time after all :whistle: (sorry))

Sacrilege!!! :D  :D  :D 

I actually find that the two modelling branches, figure painting and (aircraft) kit building that is, really complete and inspire each other. I enjoy both of them, but if  I really want to chill out a bit, nothing better than a bust: minimal assembly required and then it's all painting fun! (and once the mojo is back, I can just dive straight into some aircraft superdetailing .... :coolio::winkgrin: )

Ciao

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

Giemme that work is outstanding, so very detailed! Great update mate

Rob

11 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

That's some fine painting going on there.:thumbsup: love it.

johnny

Cheers Rob and John, thank you :thumbsup: Almost ready for more gluing, right now - just need to find the momentum to get up from my sofa and descend into the man's cave ... :pilot:

Ciao

• Like 1

Small update; before gluing the bottom seam, I scratch built a quick protection for the cockpit opening from cardboard, to avoid knocking off the gunsight while handling the model (I know myself ... :banghead: )

dav

Then i glued the bottom seam

dav

While it cured, it was time to catch up with the C205 parts. Bulkhead first, but I goofed a bit here: the backing plate came out OK, but the cut through the rounded part went south:

dav

so I thought of scratch building it from lead foil (usual wine cap foil)

dav

CA glue on the black part and left overnight to set; I might also tryingvacforming for this part - because of thickness. Will see.

Dry fit of the C205 fuselage halves and cockpit floor plus seat:

dav

More tomorrow, hopefully

Ciao

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

A nice bonus mid-week update, thanks Giemme. I like your cardboard cockpit cover. That's way better than my method of waiting until the end to place the gunsights and then forgetting to do so (they never get broken off though).

Cheers Cookie, thanks! :thumbsup: I normally put the gunsight in place as one of the last things too, but in this case I feared I would drop it into the cockpit (it's a tricky fit with the resin/PE IP) and never be able to recover it again... :chair:

Ciao

.Hi Giorgio, great job on the seat and the front panel, the cockpit looks like the real thing ! :clap2:

Thermoforming the rounded part of the bulkhead could be a good idea, will you try it ? 

Ciao.

Davide

• Like 1

Cheers Davide, thanks! :thumbsup:

I will try vacforming, just not tonight, too tired. I'll be off for the weekend, so I'll get back to this on Monday

Ciao

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Have to agree Giorgio, more lovely neat detail painting there, these two are becoming a pair of true Italian beauties!

keith

Hopefully so Keith, thank you :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Hi everybody; as mentioned earlier in the thread, I was off for the weekend so not much done in terms of modelling.

I managed to work on the C202 transparents, polishing them with a Dremel tool:

dav

and preparing the windshield to be glued in place. The SBS resin set supplies a PE rear view mirorr; rather than painting the glass part, I used a piece of Tamiya tape to copy the shape:

dav

stuck that on the back of some cookies wrapping film

dav

which is very shiny on the other side

dav

I then masked the windshield (some tidying up needed along the curved edges, but I'll do that with Blue Tack when it is in place)

dav

glued the PE mirror in

dav

painted black and used PVA glue to stick on the film cutout

dav

Almost ready for being glued in position, now.

Back to the C205 bulkhead, I vacformed the curved part from clear plastic

dav

Looks quite blobby from this pic, but after cutting and refining, I did a dry fit test

dav

The clear plastic doesn't help much in terms of judging the end result, so I used a marker to color its back part:

dav

Here's a dry fit with the lead foil part, instead:

dav

What do you guys think?

Any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The choice is Yours Giemme, I would not know what one to choose.

Still, nice work with the the mirror.

Simon.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I dunno either Giorgio, they both look good, so I'm with Simon, it's your call!

Keith

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

The mirror looks fantastic Giorgio.

I don't think you can go wrong with the bulkhead, you have two successful solutions.

Thanks guys, you're all very kind :thumbsup: I think I'll go with the vacformed one, because is thinner than the lead foil+CA ensemble - this should make for an easier placement

Ciao

• Like 1

Both solutions look great, as does the mirror. Was it really inside the cockpit, not outside? I would have thought that would drastically reduce its effectiveness....

Ian

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Both solutions look great, as does the mirror. Was it really inside the cockpit, not outside? I would have thought that would drastically reduce its effectiveness....

Ian

Cheers Ian, thanks :thumbsup: It actually was inside, although protruding towards the canopy:

https://goo.gl/images/uPYCR6

Both the kit part and the PE are simplified in that regard, but I can live with that (better a simplified mirror than something I would knock off and loose in a matter of seconds ... :chair: )

Ciao

Good to see there's been more progress since the last time I visited. Lovely work on the mirror. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 3/5/2017 at 13:34, PlaStix said:

Good to see there's been more progress since the last time I visited. Lovely work on the mirror. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Leonl said:

Great work, been a pleasure catching up on this thread...

Cheers Leon, thanks! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1