The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

On 16/4/2017 at 02:08, Gene K said:

In that regard, listen to this first verse. (just the first verse):wink:

:D:D Thanks Gene, way too kind :thumbsup:

Hi everybody, hope you all had a great Easter! :thumbsup:

Quite a substantial progress on IPs and cockpits to show, here we go:

C202 IP after detail painting

dav

and C205

dav

I've just spotted a bent lever in the last pic :banghead: must remember to fix that!

Here are both after a black tempera wash, a flat coat and after having installed the magnetic compass

dav

dav

What do we think? Personally, I think that the combination of PE parts and printed transparent film for the dials is the best way to realistically represent an instrument panel, at least in this scale.

Time to paint the cockpit floor and walls; I first brushed a mix of the base color plus some matt white on the edges, not very visible but here you go:

dav

dav

the on with detail painting

dav

dav

dav

dav

then a gloss clear coat and black tempera wash, partially removed using a moist cotton swab and a moist brush for the deepest crevices, followed by a matt white drybrush (this is the C202 cockpit):

dav

dav

it looks a bit splotchy, but if you put things in the right perspective...

dav

dav

Same for the C205

dav

dav

dav

dav

and the floors (now with rudder pedals in place - those parts come from the kits)

dav

dav

dav

I've added some matt brown/sand yellow drybrush in the stepping area, as these aircraft saw service mostly in Southern Italy and Northern Africa/Malta, so I figured the soil would leave those kind of residuals - pplus I like some weathering here and there :winkgrin: :whistle:  :D 

Gunsights got painted too, here's the C202 one:

dav

and a bit more work done on the C202 rear bulkhead; shaving off (literally :D ) the mounting plate from the kit part:

dav

razor saw for the rounded part

dav

and superglued to the PE

dav

dav

now I need to do the same for the C205.

I still need to paint the control sticks and the seats, then I can glue the fuselage halves.

Comments welcome, as ever.

Ciao

• Like 15

The office is looking real sweet Giemme.

The washes and dry-brushing picks those details that would otherwise be lost out.

Now waiting for the next installment.

Hope that you and your family had a great Easter.

Simon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The office is looking real sweet Giemme.

The washes and dry-brushing picks those details that would otherwise be lost out.

Now waiting for the next installment.

Hope that you and your family had a great Easter.

Simon.

Thanks Simon! :thumbsup: I might try and remove a bit more of the wash (that's the good thing about using tempera)

6 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Some great work on the two cockpits, loved all the details and the many colour coded cables/pipes.

Thanks G! :thumbsup: Many colored pipes indeed! :frantic:

Ciao

• Like 1

Another very nice update Giorgio, and I must say your eyes are better than mine - bent lever? Where...?! :drunk:

I do like the weathering on the rudder pedals ! (not strictly accurate - I do like it all!)

Keith

• Like 1

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

and I must say your eyes are better than mine - bent lever? Where...?! :drunk:

here

c205_ip4_bis

When you brush paint all those tiny little b...ers you end up knowing where they are (or should be), trust me .... :wacko::frantic: 

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I do like the weathering on the rudder pedals ! (not strictly accurate - I do like it all!)

You're very kind, thank you :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

loved all the details and the many colour coded cables/pipes.

Me too.  My wife always tells me how much more stylish that Italians are.....mow it seems that Italian cockpits are more stylish too :giggle:

Particularly like the work on the C202 rear bulkhead - combining the plastic and PE.  That sort of thinking/execution appeals to em.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Me too.  My wife always tells me how much more stylish that Italians are.....mow it seems that Italian cockpits are more stylish too :giggle:

:D :D Yes, your wife is right (aren't they always? :wicked: )

57 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Particularly like the work on the C202 rear bulkhead - combining the plastic and PE.  That sort of thinking/execution appeals to em.

Thanks Steve, I'm glad you like that. :thumbsup: Now I just need to do it all over again for the C205 ...

Ciao

11 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

And I'm sure that you will make an equally beautiful job of it.

Some of the most stylish display flying I've seen has been by Italian pilots.

John

Thanks John :thumbsup:  Have you seen the Frecce Tricolori by any chance?

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Unbelievable Giorgio, everything in its right place.

Cheers Cookie, but it's mostly the resin quality :winkgrin: 

8 hours ago, bruce bay said:

Recently built the Eduard re-box of the 202... and did it nothing like this level of justice. Seeing this is making me want to start again. Cockpit is looking lovely. Really beautiful instrument panel.

Cheers Bruce, thanks for popping in and commenting :thumbsup:  As I said above, the SBS resin cockpits are amazingly good, just trying to make them justice.

A little update, been doing something last night after watching Barcellona - Juventus match :) 

The little lever on the C205 IP has been put back in place (it's actually the right wing gun re-arming handle)

dav

One more PE bit to add on the seat structure, a lever used to regulate the seat position (glued in with CA and only primed, at the mo)

dav

dav

I also painted and weathered the C202 control stick

dav

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 13

Hi Giorgio, yes I've seen the Frecce Tricolor many times. I used to be involved with a large air display called International Air Tattoo where they were regulars, through from G91s to MB339s. We were always amused that their first display for the Flying Control Comittee was always done by the book to gain permission to continue, then on each consecutive display day they got lower and closer until on the last day it usually broke all the rules.

I was also greatly impressed by two Italian test pilots at Farnborough in a 1970s display who had apparently been competing with each other all week. On the day I was there the first pilot landed off a loop then the second one landed off a barrel roll, something that would not be allowed these days I'm afraid.

More magic on the cockpit components.

Cheers

John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Hi Giorgio, yes I've seen the Frecce Tricolor many times. I used to be involved with a large air display called International Air Tattoo where they were regulars, through from G91s to MB339s. We were always amused that their first display for the Flying Control Comittee was always done by the book to gain permission to continue, then on each consecutive display day they got lower and closer until on the last day it usually broke all the rules.

I was also greatly impressed by two Italian test pilots at Farnborough in a 1970s display who had apparently been competing with each other all week. On the day I was there the first pilot landed off a loop then the second one landed off a barrel roll, something that would not be allowed these days I'm afraid.

More magic on the cockpit components.

Cheers

John

You are one lucky guy :thumbsup: and I'm slightly envious :winkgrin: 

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work Giemme, those little added details.

Looking forward to seeing them zipped up.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks :thumbsup: The seats are going to take a bit more of time to get painted, but then I should be ready to button up the fuselage halves - then most of the paint job I did on these cockpit will be invisible forever ... :banghead:

10 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Resin or not, once it's in our hands, the ending is up to us. So saying, those pits are looking outstanding! They look more like 1/32 than /48!

Thanks Thom, you're too kind :thumbsup:

Ciao

22 hours ago, Sprueloose said:

Beautiful work! I particularly like the way that the IP was done! Hope that I can do as well in my future builds!

Cheers Sprueloose, thank you! :thumbsup:  I'm quite happy with them, too - let's hope something remains visible after closing up the fuselage halves ...

Next update is going to be not before next Wednesday - long weekend ahead since April 25th is bank holiday here :coolio: 

Ciao

On 21/4/2017 at 23:31, The Spadgent said:

Stunning work Giemme. I just had a bit of a catch up with your office and IPs . Imperessive stuff. The detail and weathering is spot on.:clap2: 

johnny.

On 24/4/2017 at 13:37, PlaStix said:

Superb work in the cockpit Giemme. Looking stunning! :thumbsup:

KInd regards,

Stix

Cheers guys, thank you. :thumbsup: Cockpit job is almost completed see below.

Hi everybody; long weekend, which makes for a long update :winkgrin::) 

First off: a little SBS on painting the seats. There are some leather parts and chains instead of belts, typical of Italian aircraft of the period; starting from the leather, I brush painted a base coat of Lifecolor Matt Brown

dav

Then with Sand Yellow I painted some scratches

dav

Then an highlight with base color plus Sand yellow

dav

A yellow filter (Lifecolor Matt Yellow very thinned with water) for the straps

dav

Matt Black base for the chains

dav

Italeri Flat Steel on top of that, with some chipping added on the seat structure

dav

and a black tempera wash

dav

Both seats were painted this way. I also completed the C205 control stick:

dav

and glued the lenses to their respective gunsights (C205 top, C202 bottom):

davdav

Trim wheels painted and glued in place for both the models

dav

Some tricky dry fitting to determine the correct position of the seat and bulkhead on the C202

dav

dav

Some adjustments were needed, as you can see in the next few pics; I had to remove the locating pegs from the bulkhead back and to file down the curved section, to reduce its thickness

dav

I also had to carve the fuselage halves to make room for said bulkhead

dav

and finally I trimmed a bit the seat rear supports

dav

Before gluing the various parts, I did more dry fit for the IP and windshield:

dav

dav

which also led to some trimming/sanding/adjusting (see below). Time to glue in the various bits: control stick

dav

and the seat (this is all about the C202)

dav

another quick dry fit with IP and tub

dav

dav

And here are a few shots of the completed cockpit; as you can see, I had to trim the IP side a bit

dav

dav

starboard

dav

dav

And finally .... fuselage halves joined! :pilot: 

dav

I'm gluing per sections, as usual, so only the top seam has been treated with Tamiya Green cap; this was left curing overnight, so that tonight I can glue the bottom part.

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 14