The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

The Brassin exhausts and the resin sidewalls look superb! I'm looking forward to seeing your paintwork on the latter.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Nice progress Giorgio. This build really tempts me to do the 1/72 models. I read that the Italeri models are quite good.

I should know more about Italian aircraft, so much to know, so little life left :violin: :D.

Very nice resin and etch there :thumbsup2: 

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Nice resin. Now all you have to do is paint it, which I'm sure you will do magnificently.

looking forward to the next instalment.

John

So no pressure then, right? :D Thanks for your comment, John :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Not much Giemme?

What you have done is great, those resin bits look fine, lots of detail to pick out.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks! :thumbsup: Lots of detail on the cockpit and IP resin here, I thin kmy 5/0 brush is going to see a lot of action :frantic:  :pilot: 

35 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

The Brassin exhausts and the resin sidewalls look superb! I'm looking forward to seeing your paintwork on the latter.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :thumbsup:  I'm getting ready for some painting, building up the right mood :) 

13 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Nice progress Giorgio. This build really tempts me to do the 1/72 models. I read that the Italeri models are quite good.

I should know more about Italian aircraft, so much to know, so little life left :violin: :D.

Very nice resin and etch there :thumbsup2: 

Best regards 

TonyT

Cheers tony, thank you :thumbsup: Italian aircraft are indeed very interesting, and I'm learning a lot about these two models as I go - thanks to BM fellow modelers, of course :winkgrin: 

Ciao

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the level of detail you're going to Giemme, but it always impresses.

Thanks Cookie, but I haven't done much so far, it's mostly the resin :)

Ciao

On 20/3/2017 at 23:22, Thom216 said:

Nice editions to the resin pieces. Looking real nice! As others, can't wait to see it pop with paint.

Thank you Thom216 :thumbsup:

I'm afraid I have very little to report today; I've been dealing with a very annoying toothache since last Friday, which wouldn't allow me to sleep for a couple of nights. I only sat to the workbench last night for about an hour, to work on the C205 fuselage.

@Giorgio N kindly sent me some references taken from this book:

dav

which I then decided to acquire. It contains a very thorough description on how to adapt the Hasegawa kit to accurately reproduce a C205 Serie I (and Serie III); one of the things, as pointed out in a previous post, is to move this hatch 

dav

From what is in Di Terlizzi's book, looks like this has to be done only on port side; so I taped a clear plastic cutout to the reference scheme, marked the hatch with a 0.05 black marker and cut it out:

sdr

dav

dav

Then I scraped away the raised details and filled in the panel lines of the original hatch with CA

dav

I let that curing overnight, as I'll have to rescribe over the filled in panel lines.

Poor update, as I said. Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Good to see that some work was done this weekend.

I can sympathise  with you on the the dreaded tooth ache, enough to drive anyone to drink :drink:.

Simon.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

You still got far more done than I did this weekend Giorgio, & I don't have toothache! Hope you get the tooth sorted soon!

Keith

28 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Any update is a good update!

1 minute ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's some proper panel line work Giemme - hope your tooth feels better soon.

Thanks everybody :thumbsup:  Dentist says I have to take an antibiotic and he shall see me next Saturday :banghead:  I'm seeing him more than my wife, as of late :frantic: 

Ciao

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giemme. Sorry to hear about the toothache. Hope it starts to feel better soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

35 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Hope the tooth gets sorted, I know what tooth infections can be like! Very nasty! 

More close attention to detail giemme, as we know it always pays off in your builds

Rob

Thanks guys :thumbsup: The infection is going slightly better already, although I just went through a high pain session. Over now, but I can't wait to get out of this. A couple of days and it should be almost sorted - hopefully :frantic:

Thanks again for your support

Ciao 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That resin pit is looking the bomb and the little details will make all the difference. Did someone mention paint? :wicked: can't wait.

hope the old gnashers sort them selves out.

All the best.

Johnny

Cheers Johnny, thanks :thumbsup:  I still need to do some work on the C205 fuselage before committing to painting the interiors (the idea is to to a batch job, with both cockpits and IPs at the same time), but I can't quite wait myself :frantic: 

As for the tooth, it is sorting, although not really by itself, as I'm on antibiotic ...

Ciao

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Leonl said:

Nice and steady progress....

3 hours ago, clive_t said:

Some great progress here, tons of detail in the pit:yes:

Cheers Leon and Clive, thank you :thumbsup:

Some proper progress to be posted tomorrow, stay tuned :) 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Some proper progress to be posted tomorrow, stay tuned  

All of your progress is indeed "proper" -- extremely proper!!!

Looking ahead, is there, in the real airplane, an air gap between the rear of the canopy and the airframe (straight canopy, curved fuselage)? Some sort of ventilation design?

Gene K

• Like 1

Thanks Gene :thumbsup:

There indeed is a gap between the canopy and the fuselage hump, typical of the C202 and C205; I did a dry fit of the clear parts on the C202 this afternoon, so tomorrow I'll post a pic where you should see it. There are a lot of pucs of real airframes showing this detail, I'll link on them too. 

I guess it was for ventilation, but would like to hear from some experts about that

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, giemme said:

There are a lot of pics of real airframes showing this [canopy air gap] detail, I'll link on them too. 

No need for the links, thanks. I was just thinking that the cockpit must have been pretty noisy.  :lalala:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1

Don't know what the actual reason for the openings at the rear is, it may have something to do with the problems encountered with the first generation of closed cockpit aircrafts serving in the Regia Aeronautica (early G.50 and MC.200): these were found to be difficult to open in flight as the dynamic pressure of the airstream deformed the canopies to the point of making them impossible to open (these early types had sliding canopies). The closed cockpits were also prone to fogging. The quality of the transparent material was also not the best but this of course is another problem..

The openings at the rear may help in countering the dynamic pressure, although the use of a side opening canopy was itself a solution to the difficulties in opening the canopy in an emergency.

The open rear ends would sure reduce fogging, wonder what the compromise in terms of comfort was. In fairness I've never come across any complaint about comfort in the cockpits of these aircrafts and pilots in Russia were much happier with the Mc.202 (the cockpit was properly heated in this type) than with the Mc.200 and its open cockpit

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Gene K said:

No need for the links, thanks. I was just thinking that the cockpit must have been pretty noisy.  :lalala:

Gene K

Indeed :frantic:  My first thought actually was that it must have been cold :cold:

6 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Don't know what the actual reason for the openings at the rear is, it may have something to do with the problems encountered with the first generation of closed cockpit aircrafts serving in the Regia Aeronautica (early G.50 and MC.200): these were found to be difficult to open in flight as the dynamic pressure of the airstream deformed the canopies to the point of making them impossible to open (these early types had sliding canopies). The closed cockpits were also prone to fogging. The quality of the transparent material was also not the best but this of course is another problem..

The openings at the rear may help in countering the dynamic pressure, although the use of a side opening canopy was itself a solution to the difficulties in opening the canopy in an emergency.

The open rear ends would sure reduce fogging, wonder what the compromise in terms of comfort was. In fairness I've never come across any complaint about comfort in the cockpits of these aircrafts and pilots in Russia were much happier with the Mc.202 (the cockpit was properly heated in this type) than with the Mc.200 and its open cockpit

Thanks G, very inforamtice as ever :thumbsup:

So, where were we? Ah yes, the side hatch. Old one completely filled in and sanded:

dav

Then I taped on the scribing mask, and here's a little SBS of the process:

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

Copper wires glued in and secured with CA, to reproduce the tiny rivets

dav

dav

sdr

After sanding them back with my Dremel, I scribed a slot for a sort of handle, in which I glued another segment of copper wire (this time I used Tamiya Green Cap)

dav

dav

Cockpit sidewalls glued in with CA

dav

and resin and PE bits added

dav

dav

trim cable

dav

C205 control stick; I added the machine gun cables, made from copper wire

dav

Same for the C202

dav

both cockpit floors had the foot rests glued in, this one is the C202

dav

Staying on the C202, I did some dry fit of the canopy and windshield:

dav

dav

Pretty good fit; I will pose the canopy open, anyway; I also compared the kit rear bulkhead with the PE part:

dav

There's one PE paart still missing, but overall I think te PE thickness is more to scale, while it misses the rounded part you see on the bottom of the plastic piece; I'll have to do a mix of the two :frantic:

Primer is on the cockpit parts (here's the C205, but I did the C202 at the same time):

dav

That's it, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 15