The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

2 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I'm sitting so far back I'm almost outside in the cold.

It looks  like you've got everything you need for another Giemme masterclass, but painting the smoke rings! 

Looking forward to this.

John

Cheers John, thank you :thumbsup:  Yeah i know, smoke rings are quite a challenge, will see how I can handle that :frantic::winkgrin: 

Ciao

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Cheers John, thank you :thumbsup:  Yeah i know, smoke rings are quite a challenge, will see how I can handle that :frantic::winkgrin: 

Ciao

If you can get them together and painted I will happily come over and hand paint every smoke ring for you on my week off next week 😃

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rob85 said:

If you can get them together and painted I will happily come over and hand paint every smoke ring for you on my week off next week 😃

Next week? :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: I'm afraid I'll have to pass on your very kind offer, I'd be happy to be painting the interiors by next week .... :snail:

Ciao

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leonl said:

Oh dear...

Late to the party again. Not even fashionably late, missed the biscuits and the butties..... 

Cheers Leon, thanks for joining! :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, Leonl said:

This is going to be fun...

In a way or another, yes :coolio:  This thread has all the potential to turn into ridiculous, when I get to the painting stage ... :chair:

Ciao

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leonl said:

Not even fashionably late, missed the biscuits and the butties..... 

Well, if I'd known about the butties, I'd have been here sooner!   

Buttie%20Ml.1.jpg

Feed me some modelling, Giorgio :eat:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

Feed me some modelling, Giorgio :eat:

Welcome on board Gene! :thumbsup: I'm afraid you'll have to wait till Thursday for some more modelling ... :shrug: 

Ciao

As promised, Thursday brings a little update :)

Working on the cockpits, I painted white the back part of the supplied transparents for the IPs:

cockpit1

C202 seat removed from its casting block and dryfitted in place

dryfit16

dryfit17

Looking at last pic, I realized I hadn't cleaned the seat supporting frame properly :chair: 

Here it is after clean up:

dryfit18

Then I wanted to get on par with the C205 resin cockpit too, so out came again the razor saw and sanding bits; sidewalls

dryfit19

and dry-fit with the cockpit floor; the C205 version fitted right away, without the need for scraping or sanding anything. Not sure if the difference is in the resin or the kit plastic :shrug: 

dryfit20

dryfit21

dryfit22

Small update, as I said :) Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 13

Thanks for the update. Cockpit details will be excellent with your artistic hand.

SInce you now have me hooked on a Macchi, I was going to get the Hasegawa C.205, but since I couldn't readily find one (plenty of MC.202s available, however), I elected to get the Italeri Hasegawa repop. To my pleasant surprise, the decal sheet includes ... tah daa -- smoke rings! :penguin:

2765_inset_10_lg.jpg

http://www.italeriusa.com/product-details.php?id=ITAS2765

(I like the blotchy gray schemes best)

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 7

Gene, I have a headache already just by looking at those smoke ring decals :frantic:  Aaargh! I'd rather brush paint a 1:24 C205 (the whole model, not only the smoke rings) :D  :D 

Ciao

• Like 3

Hello Giorgio,

To scare you even more; some more decals :o!

It looks like Mike Grant has some designed just for your kit, Maybe they could be worth investigating?

Here is how they look:

http://mikegrantdecals.com/shop/product/italian-smoke-ring-camouflage/

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Giorgio,

To scare you even more; some more decals :o!

:frantic::frantic::frantic: Thanks Tony, but .... no way!  

:D

Ciao

• Like 1

It must have been quite a surprise to find that the resin parts fitted.

I had a 1/48 ' Foglore ' about 20 years ago made by an Italian company ( Taurus to Tauro or something like that ). It had a huge amount of detail including a full engine, but I think it was made using low pressure moulds and there was also a huge amounts of flash on all the components. I kept it and looked at it for quite a while but sold it when the Hasegawa kit was produced.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good start Giorgio, some very nice details on the resin parts!

Keith

Thanks Keith :thumbsup: The SBS set has indeed some amazing details :thumbsup2: 

34 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

It must have been quite a surprise to find that the resin parts fitted.

I had a 1/48 ' Foglore ' about 20 years ago made by an Italian company ( Taurus to Tauro or something like that ). It had a huge amount of detail including a full engine, but I think it was made using low pressure moulds and there was also a huge amounts of flash on all the components. I kept it and looked at it for quite a while but sold it when the Hasegawa kit was produced.

Cheers

John

Not Aires, you know ... :devil::D 

It's Tauro Models, anyway; never owned any kits of this company, but read a lot of build reviews and they were all along the lines you mentioned. They had a pretty comprehensive range of Italian WWII fighters, though, including FIAT G55 and Reggiane Re2005 :Tasty: 

Ciao

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Thanks Keith :thumbsup: The SBS set has indeed some amazing details :thumbsup2: 

Not Aires, you know ... :devil::D 

It's Tauro Models, anyway; never owned any kits of this company, but read a lot of build reviews and they were all along the lines you mentioned. They had a pretty comprehensive range of Italian WWII fighters, though, including FIAT G55 and Reggiane Re2005 :Tasty: 

Ciao

I had the Tauro kit and sold it on for the Eduard repop (which I have not yet bought). Lots of parts but molding quality was a bit poor by todays standards. Fitting is reported to be awful.

René

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

Lots of parts but molding quality was a bit poor by todays standards. Fitting is reported to be awful.

Thanks René :thumbsup: Yes, that seems to be the downside of those kits

Ciao

On 3/2/2017 at 1:03 PM, giemme said:

:frantic::frantic::frantic: Thanks Tony, but .... no way!  

So, since Smoke Gets In Your Eyes  :worry:, what's your plan for markings  ????

I do like this scheme better than rings::party:

MC205_1a.jpg

Gene K

• Like 4

That's a very nice scheme too, Gene. Very much like German mottling; the kit I'm building isn't the right version, though (no wing cannons, for instance), so I'll stick to the smoke rings camo, but no decals, airbrush or regular brush for me :coolio::)

Ciao 

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

Good morning everybody! Little time for modelling last WE (all of last week, actually), so just a small update today, also because it's about some time consuming activities.

Continuing on the interiors, I tackles the C202 IP, for which the SBS set provides PEs:

202IP1

There's a sort of side console on the main IP PE, and it was rather easy to bend it to shape just by using tweezers - happy :) 

202IP2

The gunsight is provided as a two pieces assembly (three, actually, if you count the glass), one resin and the other PE. I pinned the resin part and made a receiving hole on the main IP resin block to help locating it when I have to glue it in place.

I'll have to do the same for the C205, but before going on with the interiors, I figured I should sort another issue first.

Eugenio ( @72linerlover here on BM) was so kind to make me aware of a couple of distinctive features for both the C202 and C205; the first one being that both of them had tail planes with variable incidence, that could be set while flying.This means that they are hinged to the fuselage, leaving a noticeable space between their fairings and the fuselage itself:

piano coda2

piano coda1

The above pics (of a restored C205) show it very well, and were taken by Eugenio at "Museo della Scienza" in Milan. Thanks Eugenio! :thumbsup: 

Since my plan is to glue the cockpit sidewalls to the fuselage halves before painting them, and since they have a lot of nice PE details to be added, I thought I'd better tackle the tail planes issue before the interiors, to avoid any risk of kjnoking off tiny delicate parts while handling the fuselage .... :chair:

So here's what I did: I used some wine bottle cap lead foil, pressing it over the kit fairings

tp_fairings1

and I covered them with CA to reinforce them

tp_fairings2

Then I pressed in some regular Milliput:

tp_fairings3

let it settle overnight and carefully removed from the "moulds" (this are disposable, meaning that there's no way to use them a second time ... :winkgrin: )

tp_fairings4

The foil residuals came off pretty easily, they didn't actually stick to Milliput.

A knife, a flat file and a rounded file were used to refine the fairings; here's a first step

tp_fairings5

A test fit (still in need of refining)

tp_fairings6

tp_fairings7

Comparison with the kit part

tp_fairings8

Both fairings glued to the respective tail planes, using CA

tp_fairings9

tp_fairings10

There's still some touch ups to do, but I left them set overnight.

One word about using Milliput for this kind of job: it is in no way behaving like resin; it's kind of fragile and also a little bendy, so care must be taken in handling it. In fact I broke one of the faring in two parts while gluing it to the tail plane, but some CA sorted it.

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 15