The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The international standard for nav lights is red and green. Sometimes an old green lens can look blue. I'm pretty sure that coloured bulbs are fairly recent, and that WWII era would have had clear bulbs with tinted plastic covers.

I do stand to be corrected however!

Ian

Thanks Ian :thumbsup:  Confusing matter, as others have said; I have no wartime pictures to back up my choice, but this are from museum preserved C202 and C205

9264335220_349627eec7_b.jpg

32946088414_995404b9e2_b.jpg

while this is from an Me109

165227.17.jpg

They all show clear covers. Weather this is due to the restoration or it is the original configuration, I wouldn't know ... :shrug:

8 hours ago, Winenut said:

Looking great Giorgio.

Love the work on the lights and also the tiny air intake.

The process you are using (which I am keen to give a go)  might actually be spelt "plunging" or "plunge" moulding.

My neighbour has shown me how to do it when forming canopies for his radio Controlled scale aircraft.

Keep up the beautiful detailed work

Cheers

Bruce 

Cheers Bruce, thanks :thumbsup:  Of course is "plunge", I just had a bit of a French diversion while typing :D which would be incorrect anyway, because I think it's actually "plonge" in French ... :chair:  :D 

Definitely give it a go, anyway; I use and industrial hairdryer to heat the plastic film (and thermal gloves!! ). If you use APET/PETG or PS film, you can get very controllable results with just a bit of practice. Then you can upgrade to vacforming :whistle::) 

Later for a build update

Ciao

• Like 3

Here's a quick update:

wings glued in, which leaves us with a big gap on starboard wing root

dav

and a big step port side

dav

So I did some filling with CA+talc mix

dav

dav

To have a proper wings to fuselage joint and preserve the dihedral, I had to scrape away quite some plastic from the wing roots; that left me with a gap, that I filled in with PPP and smoothed with a dump stiff brush

dav

dav

Then I added the reinforcing plates, this time made from alu tape

dav

dav

dav

Using a round file and various grades of sandpaper, I fixed the wing roots

dav

dav

The "seams" you see aren't actual seems, but polished CA.

I removed the clear cover from starboard wingtip, painted clear green and put a new cover on

dav

dav

It needs a bit of fairing in, but I'm pretty happy with it.

No more update for at least a week now, because I'm off to a big exhibition (business stuff) in Milan from Friday till next Tuesday.

Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 12

14 hours ago, giemme said:

The only probem being that my kowledge about flight is down to a point where I need to think twice to have the ailerons deflected according to the control stick position (all to the left, in this case) :frantic:

So I will follow your educated advice and deflect starboard aileron a few degrees less than port one (which is probably just as good, because it should have a better fit, that way :wink: )

Oh heck........wish I'd never been a smart-a** and mentioned it (no good ever comes of having a smart-a** type sense of humour :doh:) and I've now had to spend ages on google trying to see if Macchi did in fact used differential ailerons.........And not surprisingly its a level of detail to which the internet does not condescend.....

The Spitfire (even I knew this) had Frise - type ailerons  (one effect of which is said to be to counter adverse yaw when the lower leading edge of the 'up' aileron protrudes into the airflow below the wing and increases drag)  The Hurricane it seems had differential ailerons (as did the Tiger Moth) - at least according to a random extract from a 'pilot's notes' that I found when I was googling.

But the internet was deafeningly silent as to whether Italian manufactures had adopted the mechanism......

Still.  On the plus side I s'pose that means it's really quite unlikely that anyone will be able to gainsay it.........doesn't it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Still.  On the plus side I s'pose that means it's really quite unlikely that anyone will be able to gainsay it.........doesn't it?

Definitely :) 

Looking for reliable info (and pics) on Internet about WWII Italian fighters can be very frustrating :sad:  On top of that, a very small number of exemplars survived intact: if I recall properly, there are only three C205 to day, none of them in flying conditions. Moreover, all of them aren't original C205 but converted C202 (that happened in wartime); "dulcis in fundo" (look up for that, guys :wink:  :D ), all the documentation and archives where binned in the '70s ... because they took up too much room, apparently :chair: 

BTW: if you look at the C202 pic I posted right before this update, you can see a very deflected aileron. I wouldn't take that as definitive for any of the options, though - God knows what the actual status of preservation of that airframe is ...

Ciao

Very nice tidy up on that starboard wing root Giorgio

Off to the expo in Milano hey....is that the big hospitality one this weekend?

With all the time you spend modelling I didn't think you'd have time to work! 

Ciao

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Winenut said:

Off to the expo in Milano hey....is that the big hospitality one this weekend?

Precisely that one, the HOST :thumbsup: I will  have a customer from Oz visiting, BTW - Brisbane area

10 minutes ago, Winenut said:

With all the time you spend modelling I didn't think you'd have time to work! 

:rofl::rofl: It' s actually only a couple of hours at night (not every night) and a bit more during the WE - hence the very long time needed to complete a build :)

Ciao

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Lovely controlled work fixing those wing roots Giorgio. :thumbsup2:

Tony

Thanks Tony! :thumbsup: "controlled" is the word: let the file do the job and don't press too hard (did I sweat?? Oh yes,  I did! :frantic: )

Ciao

• Haha 1

Hi everybody;

some progress at last, after a very busy week and a half.

Top engine cowl glued in

dav

The fuselage edges around this cowl had to be filed down (both sides) because they were quite proud of it (I had the same issue with the C202).

The bottom starboard wing root had to be filled in with PPP

dav

Then I glued the two oil radiators to the bottom engine cowl

dav

Some gaps there, which will need more PPP action

dav

dav

Glued in place

dav

Then some riveting on the wing strengthening plates

dav

dav

dav

After gluing in both the cowlings, I did a quick dry fit test with the spinner

dav

The spinner cover was drilled out, just like I did on the C202, despite the fact that none of them was conceived to mount the central cannon

dav

The C205 had additional fuel tanks in the wing roots, so I added two thin styrene discs (cut from the usual yogurt cup :coolio: ) and glued in with Tamiya Green Cap, to represent the tank caps

dav

dav

Then I glued the ailerons in

dav

dav

dav

and used some alu tape strips to restore the aileron hinges

dav

dav

dav

dav

Getting close to priming stage, now. I just need to rescribe a few panel lines on the wing leading edges, scratch build the antenna wire connection point on the rudder and sort the water radiator out (a couple of modifications still needed, there), mask the wheel wells and the wingtip lights :pilot: 

Meanwhile, I added a styrene strip to enlarge the tail plane mounting tabs:

dav

An issue I had with the C202 is that, after rebuilding the coaming as a separate piece from the fuselage, very little contact point remained to glue in the tail planes. This way I hope to ensure a better fit and bond (needs to be trimmed, though)

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 9

Thanks K :thumbsup:

I feel a bit like I'm at a turning point of this build - sort of make it or brake it. The primer coat will tell if this has turned into a giant mess or what ... :analintruder:

Ciao

• Like 1

Looking beautiful Giorgio

Lovely work with the PPP but I'm worried that this four little stiffeners might not be strong enough to hold the wings on when you start whizzing her around after you finish her

(I jest of course, for the benefit of those who may not have experienced my mistimed humour before)

I really love all the little additional panel work and the wheel wells are simply astounding

note to self: get aluminium tape and learn how to Giorgio with it...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I think it'll be 'or what' to be honest! Can't see anything that would create any sort of mess, let alone a giant one...!! :D

K

Not at present stage, but the smoke rings camo is a good candidate for that ... :frantic: :analintruder: 

10 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

All looking good G.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks :thumbsup:  I hope you're getting better.

10 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Sweet job on that Italian beauty!

Thanks T, glad you like her :thumbsup: 

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

So glad that Monday updates are back, it's looking great - looking forward to primer.

Thanks Cookie, I'm kinda glad too :wink:  Few more things to sort before primer, but tomorrow is bank holiday, so I should be able to make substantial progress :pilot: 

59 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

That's looking good Giorgio, especially the ailerons. I think the only way you could break it now is by dropping it then standing on it, my speciality is rolling my swivel chair over pieces I've dropped!

Cheers

John

Alright, then I'll tell the whole story: I did drop the model twice, loosing both times starboard wingtip light cover - lots of cursing, I found it both times and put it back in place. Then, while sticking the aileron hinges on, I de-bonded port side one, so back to sanding/polishing the joint and gluing back :chair:  I've been lucky with my swivel chair, though - so far, I mean .... :analintruder: 

12 minutes ago, Bungalow_Bill said:

These are really awesome builds!   I've got the Hasegawa 205 in my stash.  I feel I'll be referring to this thread a lot.

Gaz

CHerrs Gaz, thank you :thumbsup:  Glad if this can be of any help

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

Looking beautiful Giorgio

Lovely work with the PPP but I'm worried that this four little stiffeners might not be strong enough to hold the wings on when you start whizzing her around after you finish her

(I jest of course, for the benefit of those who may not have experienced my mistimed humour before)

I really love all the little additional panel work and the wheel wells are simply astounding

note to self: get aluminium tape and learn how to Giorgio with it...

Specific test flights have already been carried out, everything is holding up beautifully :D  :D  Thanks for the appreciation Bill :thumbsup:  - and yes, get that alu tape, it's definitely useful :wink: 

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hi everybody; as mentioned earlier, before committing to priming the whole model, the water radiator needed to be sorted.

The modifications concern the front internal flap and the back adjustable leap.

For the former, I added two brackets by drilling 0.5mm holes in it and gluing in two segments of corresponding steel rod

dav

dav

For the back side: a strengthening rod (not sure that this is the real function, but it looks like that to me ... :coolio: ) needed to be added, so using a hammer, I flattened a length of cheap brass pipe (0.6mm diameter)

dav

dav

Then, holding one end into a micro-drill, I tapered the edges with a Dremel sanding disc, cut to size and glued in place

dav

dav

The above pic also shows the same treatment for the actuator brackets, which were then cut to size and superglued in place

dav

A quick (out of focus :chair: ) dry fit

dav

Here's a better shot from behind (hey guys! behave ... :D )

dav

I eventually airbrushed some primer on all the parts, and some PPP action was required afterwards

dav

dav

After tidying up, I airbrushed Lifecolor Grigio Azzurro Chiaro, brush painted a protective Future coat and glued the radiator in

dav

Black tempera wash and a make up brush to remove the unwanted excess

dav

dav

Then I glued the front flap and the radiator cover in

dav

dav

which leaves us with a good amount of fairing in to do:

dav

dav

I had the same issue with the C202, although not that extensive ... 

Tail planes: using a razor saw, I separated the outer end of the elevators

dav

Things that remain to be done prior to priming:

- fair in the water radiator cover

- add the antenna wire connection point on the fin

- mask wheel wells and water radiator inside

:hmmm:  Next WE should be good for priming :)

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 9