The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

16 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Beautiful, Giemme. very nice indeed. Looking forward to seeing its stable-mate soon!

Ian

Thanks Ian :thumbsup:  Work on the C205 will resume next week, most likely :) 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Hi everybody;

I realized I hadn't really completed the C202, as there still was a missing bit which I had planned to add and totally forgot when I came to the final touches.

Both the C202 and C205 had an external "mechanical" gunsight, in addition to the regular one in the cockpit, made by a metallic ring and an aiming dot, both on top of a rod.

So I scratch built them like this

dav

The ring was made by wrapping a very thin copper wire around the end of a toothpick; I then hammered the overlapping section and cut out the excess; the supporting rods were made from steel rod, which I tapered towards one end by fitting them in my Dremel and spinning them on a coarse file. The ring is glued in place with CA.

And here they are in place (at an earlier stage of the build, I had already drilled the corresponding receiving holes)

dav

dav

dav

dav

Now the C202 is definitely completed! :banghead:  :D

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 20

12 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Marvellous build! I love the mottling and the gentle weathering too.

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers Adrian , thanks :thumbsup:  Glad you like her!

9 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Excellent finishing touch with the ring & bead sight Giorgio! :thumbsup:

Keith

Is that what it's called? Thanks Keith, you're a star! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Wow...the excellent is now even more excellenter ( ;) ).

In my recent burrowings through the collection I came across the Pacific Coast Modles 1/32 C.202 - something for me to look forward to.

Looking forward even more to your Veltro, though - very much indeed!

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlexN said:

Wow...the excellent is now even more excellenter ( ;) ).

In my recent burrowings through the collection I came across the Pacific Coast Modles 1/32 C.202 - something for me to look forward to.

Looking forward even more to your Veltro, though - very much indeed!

Cheers,

Alex.

:D Cheers Alex, thank you :thumbsup:  There are some builds of that kit on Internet, looks interesting.

I had planned to resume the work on the Veltro this week, but things are going on slowly, so it's going to be more likely next WE.

Ciao

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

More amazing detail work, the ring and bead sights must be tiny.

Also looking forward to the Veltro.

John

Cheers John, thank you :thumbsup:

Ciao

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

I like having the excuse to pop back and look at this one again Giorgio.  She really is a gem.

Thanks Steve :thumbsup:  Next update will show more action on the C205, I promise :coolio:

Ciao

• Like 2

Just now, rob85 said:

I don't know I turn my back for a month and you bloody finish the thing! She's beautiful mate, stunning work as ever. 

Looking forward to an update on the 205.

Rob

:D Thanks Rob, good to have you back too :thumbsup:  There's a RFI thread here for the C202, if you fancy some more completed pics :wink:

Ciao

Giemme,

Forgive me but I'm been looking though the build to pick up some advice on how you made the masks for the markings. Excuse me if I've missed it. Could you tell me how you did such a wonderful job?

Matthew

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Watcher said:

Giemme,

Forgive me but I'm been looking though the build to pick up some advice on how you made the masks for the markings. Excuse me if I've missed it. Could you tell me how you did such a wonderful job?

Matthew

No problem, Matthew. :) There's a bit of an explanation here: 

Basically you need the right masking material, in this case Orimask 810, and a cutter, such as Brother Scan'n'cut or Silhouette Cameo; I used Inkscape to trace the lines of top of the scanned decal sheet, producing the cutting file to be sent to the cutter.

The rest is explained in the link above. HTH

Ciao

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, perdu said:

Slightly dodgy to use one of those dodgy, fake large coins though

:rofl: That's a real 20p, Sir, honest Sir! Souvenir from my last trip to London :D:D

Thanks for the comment Bill, much appreciated :thumbsup:  If all goes as per the plan, next Monday I'll post a WE progress report for the C205 :wink:

Ciao

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gene K said:

Excellent photo work too, Giorgio.

Gene K

Thanks Gene, glad you like them :thumbsup: 

As promised, I resumed work on the C205, so here's a WE progress report - actually, most of the WE went into completing the Roman General bust I started a few months ago, of which I posted a RFI here:

Anyway, yesterday I managed to do some work on the C205; mostly a deja-vu, since I repeated some of the things I had already done on the C205. For some others, I took advantage of the experience in completing the Folgore, so I made them differently or with a different sequence. Enough blah-blah: opening the top and bottom engine cowl vents

dav

dav

Drilling holes in preparation for the bead and ring sight (trying not to forget to put this on before I declare the build completed, this time! :chair: )

dav

Top vent opened too

dav

Replacing the kit wing guns with brass barrels: here you see the kit part along with the modified one

dav

Of course I thought of putting a stopping tab inside the wing as a mounting reference for the barrel, but then there was a "slight" interference with the main wheel leg receptacles molded on the bottom wing .... :chair:  x2!

dav

so I removed them and glued back along said receptacles

dav

On the C205, the Venturi was in a different position compared to the C202; instead of being on the bottom side, right in front of the water radiator, it was moved on the fuselage, starboard side.

I obviously forgot to drill the corresponding hole before joining the fuselage halves, so I had to do it afterwards, trying to guesstimate the correct position :frantic:

dav

Supercharger intake: this had the sand filter by factory standard; since the back part of the intake is crossed by the same 17mm (in 1:1) gap of the engine cowl just like the C202, I thought of scribe this gap prior to gluing it in place - a lot easier this way:

dav

dav

and so I did on the cowl panel lines

dav

dav

Then I glued in the front intake half cone - this is going to give me some filling and sanding job to do ...

dav

dav

dav

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 11

Mmmhhhh.....i was wondering  where you were with the second part of the topic!!!

I don't remember if I did  comment the last finishing touches on the 202,...anyway it really looks great!

Nice to see you back to work on the 205!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Glad to see that you are human LOL.

Definitely so, mate :lol::lol: Tahnks for your appreciation! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, massimo said:

Mmmhhhh.....i was wondering  where you were with the second part of the topic!!!

I don't remember if I did  comment the last finishing touches on the 202,...anyway it really looks great!

Nice to see you back to work on the 205!!!

Thanks Massimo :thumbsup: I really had to complete that bust, he kept staring at me all the time :D

Hopefully more progress during the week

Ciao

• Like 1