The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

Hello Giorgio,

Very scenic place, I really enjoyed, I enjoyed all the topic to be sure.

I'm also a great fan of cooked mushrooms,

Tartuffo are my favourites ones.

Congratulations, you did great, very fine weathering and can't wait to see her finished.

Thank also for the Italian lesson ! I knew the word, since there are lots of italian peoples here.

And some of them are good friends, so what I know in italian language is not... How can I tell it :whistle:

Just remember an old guy, sick from working in coalmines, his voice was more like an overused chainsaw !

But when he get drunk (it was happening oftenly) He started to sing "O sole mio"

Peppering the song with some of the words mentionned above.

One cannot stay serious ! It was not La Scala at all !!

Very nice modelling here congratulations !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Haha 3

This is really starting to look very impressive indeed! I'm not a big fan of panel lines as they so often are too overdone, but these look perfect. Noticeable, but not "in your face" as they like to say over this side of the pond.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking great G.

Refined weathering sir, very nice.

Simon.

Thank you Simon, glad you were able to appreciate it through my poor pics :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Marvellous stuff Giorgio, nearly  at the finish line with this one - & it's going to be another winner! 

Keith

Cheers K, thanks :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio,

Very scenic place, I really enjoyed, I enjoyed all the topic to be sure.

I'm also a great fan of cooked mushrooms,

Tartuffo are my favourites ones.

Congratulations, you did great, very fine weathering and can't wait to see her finished.

Thank also for the Italian lesson ! I knew the word, since there are lots of italian peoples here.

And some of them are good friends, so what I know in italian language is not... How can I tell it :whistle:

Just remember an old guy, sick from working in coalmines, his voice was more like an overused chainsaw !

But when he get drunk (it was happening oftenly) He started to sing "O sole mio"

Peppering the song with some of the words mentionned above.

One cannot stay serious ! It was not La Scala at all !!

Very nice modelling here congratulations !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

:D:D Thanks CC, glad you enjoyed the whole "package" :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Leonl said:

Whoa!!! The wheel bays look awesome, I'd forgotten how detailed they were.  

The subtle weathering is very effective...

Thanks Leon :thumbsup: I'm thinking of adding a few more details to the wheel bay before I put in the wheel legs ... :hmmm:

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

This is really starting to look very impressive indeed! I'm not a big fan of panel lines as they so often are too overdone, but these look perfect. Noticeable, but not "in your face" as they like to say over this side of the pond.

Ian

Thanks Ian, that was the idea :thumbsup: As I said earlier, the light in those pics tends to kill most of the effect, but in real life the overall is more like what you see in the close ups I posted

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The weathering is not immediately obvious but if you take it over a series of posts the effect is definitely there.

Great stuff.

John

Thanks John :thumbsup: As for the weathering, see above. I really hope to be able to render it properly with some decent RFI pics; it is, to my eye, very balanced also in real life, but definitely more perceivable than what you see in most of my last pics

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

That just about jumps off the screen Giorgio, as usual all your details add up to convincing and pleasing whole subject.

Thanks Cookie, that's a huge compliment :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

She looks just wonderful, the weathering is amazing. :king:

double sided tape and a block of wood! Why did I never think of that? Thanks for the tip.

Jont.

Thanks John! :thumbsup: As for the tip, glad if I can be of any help :) As usual, I picked up that idea somewhere on Internet ...

10 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Great work Giorgio! 

:clap:

Grazie Matteo! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody, massive update before the WE, hope you will enjoy (both the update and the WE :) )

Exhausts: I mixed a small quantity of Lifecolor Matt Red, Tan and Sand Yellow and used the sponge technique. Left done, right undone

dav

Then a Light Grey drybrush

dav

then a black tempera wash and a flat clear coat (by brush)

dav

Eventually, they were glued in place with a few drops of CA gel

dav

dav

dav

Gluing in some spare bits: radiator flap

dav

I replaced the kit actuator arm with a segment of steel rod from a paper clip

dav

To complete the cockpit, there was a couple of bits still left to do, that is the head armoured plate and the top part of the harness system. The SBS resin set provides a PE part for the latter, which, after having been cut off from the fret, carefully cleaned and bent to shape ... pinged off from I my tweezers, never to be seen again :badmood: 

So I scratch built a replacement, using the C205 PE part as a template

dav

The belts and holding plate are made from lead foil (wine cap :wink: ), while the wires are ... copper wires

The head plate got brush painted with Lifecolor Light Blue grey, and weathered as per usual

dav

The top harness was brush painted too, in a very similar way to what I did for the main belts

dav

head plate in place, using CA gel to set it in position and Tamiya Green Cap brushed on with a very fine tipped old brush to seal it

dav

dav

Then the harness

dav

dav

look, there's a cockpit in there ... :D

dav

Other minor bits: butterfly valve brush painted and glued in place

dav

Tail navigation light: this was brush painted with Lifecolor Gloss White, followed by a drop of Tamiya Gloss Clear

dav

Venturi tube: I drilled out the inside of the kit part, both sides, and brush painted with Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey

dav

dav

In place

dav

dav

I mentioned before I was going to add some more piping/cabling into the wheel bay, to improve the "busy" look, but all I could safely manage was a group of grey cables (thin copper wire) crossing the whole bay from port to starboard

dav

dav

not doing anything more than this, I fear I'd screw up things :shrug: 

I've added some weathering to the movable surfaces, in terms of light leaks from their hinges, brushing on the usual tempera wash and removing any excess with a dump cotton bud, following the air flow

dav

dav

dav

Then some job done on the main wheel struts; actuator arms refined (hammer and Dremel in action there)  and cut to size

dav

dav

Those pics don't say much, you'll have to wait for when I install them to get the sense of it, sorry :)

Then I glued the wheels in

dav

I guess this is it for the day, comments welcome as ever

Ciao

Edited by giemme
It's Venturi, not Pitot ...
  • Like 14

Giorgio, I run out my Thesaurus to comment your build.

I'm experimenting a miniaturized transponder to put on every kit part :mental:.

The finish you got simply makes justice to the camouflage.

Bye

Eugenio

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bbudde said:

That looks great. Always liked the elegant look of these italian fighters and some bomber also. And of course  the camo, although very tricky to paint. Cheers.

Cheers BB, thanks! :thumbsup: 

12 minutes ago, 72linerlover said:

Giorgio, I run out my Thesaurus to comment your build.

I'm experimenting a miniaturized transponder to put on every kit part :mental:.

The finish you got simply makes justice to the camouflage.

Bye

Eugenio

Grazie Eugenio, too kind :thumbsup: I hope you had nice holidays :thumbsup2: 

Ciao

great work so far............ if you ever get a chance , bag a pair of Russian Moskit 1/48 Exhausts , on ebay they make a huge difference to a model

( they are hollow , made from ultra-thin metal ) -and sadly are out of production ( Company went bust )
I used them for my Hurricane , FW 190 , Raiden J2M and Ki.61 Tony , I used to have the Fiat G.55 but sold it on ebay - and that kit used the Moskits exhaust

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArticles/FIATG55/DavidWalker/FiatG55_1a.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, matteo44 said:

:clap::clap::clap:

Cheers Matteo, thanks :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, 73north said:

great work so far............ if you ever get a chance , bag a pair of Russian Moskit 1/48 Exhausts , on ebay they make a huge difference to a model

( they are hollow , made from ultra-thin metal ) -and sadly are out of production ( Company went bust )
I used them for my Hurricane , FW 190 , Raiden J2M and Ki.61 Tony , I used to have the Fiat G.55 but sold it on ebay - and that kit used the Moskits exhaust

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArticles/FIATG55/DavidWalker/FiatG55_1a.html

Thanks 73north :thumbsup: The resin exhausts are already a great improvement over the poor kit parts but those Moskit metallic parts are outstanding! Thaks for the heads up!

Is that yours the Fiat G55 in the link? Truly amazing :clap::clap: Makes me want to get one of those kits, and I'd be happy if it comes out half as good!

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Stunning job there Giemme.

Liking it all.

Have a great weekend .

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Have a great WE you and Lady Rose, too :) 

Ciao

• Like 2

Just wonderful modelling Giorgio

Note, no noises of amazement, I know you are a brilliant modeller

I do pop in from time to time then pop out again just a bit/lot jealous

your painting IS AWESOME, no doubt about it

Thanks for sharing it with us

:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Cheers Matteo, thanks :thumbsup:

Thanks 73north :thumbsup: The resin exhausts are already a great improvement over the poor kit parts but those Moskit metallic parts are outstanding! Thaks for the heads up!

Is that yours the Fiat G55 in the link? Truly amazing :clap::clap: Makes me want to get one of those kits, and I'd be happy if it comes out half as good!

Ciao

sorry I should have made that clearer

YES , that is my Model ( posted to Stormo website ) and I sold it on ebay last year ( it arrived safe and sound - as I use poly-balls for packing - and a double-box method

with the inner box further cushioned by bubblewrap

I am on Ebay as 73north - this is copied from Page 10 of my feedback left

Buyer: More than a year ago

Pro-Built Fiat G.55 Centauro Special Hobby Italian WW2 Fighter Moskit Airmaster (#381444567725)  sold for £ 256.99

The Special Hobby kits are really nice , and allow you to further super-detail the model further if you want ..and they feature rare aircraft other companies don't cover

Edited by 73north
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent work as always 👍👍 ! 

Cheers C, thanks! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Just wonderful modelling Giorgio

Note, no noises of amazement, I know you are a brilliant modeller

I do pop in from time to time then pop out again just a bit/lot jealous

your painting IS AWESOME, no doubt about it

Thanks for sharing it with us

:thumbsup:

Thanks Bill, much appreciated! :thumbsup: Sharing is my rule, that's how I keep learning - from what I share and from what others like you share :thumbsup:

43 minutes ago, 73north said:

sorry I should have made that clearer

YES , that is my Model ( posted to Stormo website ) ...

The Special Hobby kits are really nice , and allow you to further super-detail the model further if you want ..and they feature rare aircraft other companies don't cover

Thanks David, absolutely gorgeous model. Now off looking for Special Hobby kits :pilot::)

Thanks also for the info about your packing method; I don't think I'll ever consider selling a completed kit (nor buying one, for that matter: the fun is all in building them, for me :wink: ), but you gave me an idea in case I decide to bring any of my models to a show far from home... :thumbsup:

Ciao

Hi Giorgio

I have posted an ' expert packing guide ' to the Buy and Sell section '

That details my methods and how I pack - I have sold 10 Aircraft Kits all over the world , including Japan and Italy ,  from Scotland

and they have all arrived safe and sound

plus you make a nice profit when you sell a rare Pro-Built Model on ebay ( always say its ' pro-built ' )

you might like this ??

http://www.arcair.com/Gal11/10801-10900/gal10812-Ki-84-Walker/00.shtm

Edited by 73north
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3