The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

Great job on camo scheme, looks really smart now. I also found your technique for spraying white over camo very interesting, never thought before of adding some light grey to improve coverage, will have to give this a try

• Like 1

It's looking great :thumbsup: !

I like the airbrushed crosses, they look superb; far more convincing than decals.

Great stuff :)

TonyT

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Bellissimo ( I think that's the word I'm looking for. )

John

Thanks John, very kind of you to say so :thumbsup: 

44 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Great job on camo scheme, looks really smart now. I also found your technique for spraying white over camo very interesting, never thought before of adding some light grey to improve coverage, will have to give this a try

Thanks G! :thumbsup: I always do that when I have to spray white - but also when I need to brush paint it, for that matters :winkgrin: 

9 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

It's looking great :thumbsup: !

I like the airbrushed crosses, they look superb; far more convincing than decals.

Great stuff :)

TonyT

Cheers Tony, thank you! :thumbsup:  As you know, I hate decals, and among all decal types, these kind of crosses overlapping the tail and rudder gap I hate even more. I came up with the idea of airbrushing the crosses and cutting out the Savoia emblem from the decal sheet when I did my Reggiane RE2002 - it worked pretty well so I decided to replicate it here.

Ciao

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

All looking good G.

Laying white down can be a pita at times, so I usually use a white primer around those areas, but try out what you said.

Simon.

Thanks Simon! :thumbsup: I picked up that trick about spraying white somewhere on Internet a while ago - been doing like that ever since :winkgrin:

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looking really stunning Giemme! :thumbsup2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thank you. :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

7 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Very nice! Is there a reason for the large gap in the camo rings on the onboard port wing?

Ian 

Thanks Ian! :thumbsup: Yes, there is a reaason for the gap: here is the reference picture I have for this aircraft

c202_02.jpg

Port side wing root shows some repair jobs done in field, which were overpainted with some gloss grey paint (according to some sources, others mention bare metal - but I decided to go with Gloss Grey)

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Greatwork i have painted codes and things like that but not brave enough to do national markings. At least not yet.

Thanks! :thumbsup: I did test insignia and codes painting on my Spitfire Mk.Vb build and was pretty happy with that. I think it looks much more realistic

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 6

Hi everybody; on with painting - but first a little chipping on the spinner and propeller blades. I read somewhere last week about using a brass brush to effectively chip paint, so I used this Dremel tool (only the tool, not mounted on the Dremel :analintruder:  )

dav

dav

dav

dav

What I did was to gently tap it on the area I wanted to show paint chipping (in some cases tapping and spinning at the same time)

Then I masked the main airframe for the Gloss Grey overpainted areas

dav

I airbrushed Tamiya Neutral Grey mixed with some Future and thinned with IPA

dav

dav

dav

dav

Insignias and codes are going to be next; that's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Great idea for the chipping. I've often wondered what to do with that particular Dremel attachment, was the paint Lifecolor?

John

Cheers John, thank you :thumbsup:  I use the Dremel Brass Brush to polish white metal figures after having washed them and before priming - very handy.

Paint was Tamiya in this case. HTH

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Lovely work as always Giorgio and agree with John about the chipping idea. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix :thumbsup:  I'm pretty pleased with this particular chipping method, I think it it looks very realistic

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The chipping looks spot on G. in scale effect to.

No chance of any over-spray there then  .

Now awaiting more.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup:  Definitely no over-spray, I don't like that! :frantic: :D

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Beautiful work Giorgio. The chipping idea is brilliant, the tiny wires make much smaller marks than a toothpick or similar instrument.

Agreed - good thing I read about this method right before I started painting :winkgrin::thumbsup: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
Fixing nonsense...
  • Like 2

Looking very nice indeed Giorgio! I agree with the others about the effectiveness of the chipping after using the wire brush - have to ask though, is that the final colour the prop blades will be? Probably really showing my ignorance of WW2 Italian aeroplanes here, but that looks a very interesting colour to paint a propellor in, never seen it before - very stylish (just like most everything Italian then really!)

Keith

• Like 3

Thanks K! :thumbsup: 

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

have to ask though, is that the final colour the prop blades will be?

Apologies, should have mentioned before: it is quite a peculiar scheme, in which the front part of the blades is white, as is the spinner, while the back part is black. Not really typical - and yes, quite stylish :winkgrin::D

Ciao

• Like 4

Quick update everybody; expanding the answer to Keith's question, here's how the propeller blades look like after completing the painting

dav

dav

and with some chipping on the black side too

dav

Last night I also managed to mask the canopy

dav

dav

and airbrush a Tamiya Flat Black coat on it (internal frames on Aermacchi built C202 and C205 were black)

dav

Ciao

Edited by giemme
wrong picture
  • Like 8

Great stuff as always Giorgio ! Love the field repair, makes the whole scheme even more interesting.

I also liked the chipping method, will try this myself.

Regarding the prop colour, what are you using ? IIRC the front side of propellers could be in either aluminum or a light blue  (will have to look for the right specification) but yours look white in the picture.

I should also add that later during the war the props were also painted in black overall

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, matteo44 said:

Good job giemme! :clap:

I like this camouflage... 

Cheers Matteo, thanks! :thumbsup: 

17 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Cool, thanks G, I do like that prop.!

K

Thanks K! :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Great stuff as always Giorgio ! Love the field repair, makes the whole scheme even more interesting.

I also liked the chipping method, will try this myself.

Regarding the prop colour, what are you using ? IIRC the front side of propellers could be in either aluminum or a light blue  (will have to look for the right specification) but yours look white in the picture.

I should also add that later during the war the props were also painted in black overall

Thanks G! :thumbsup: It is white, although it will appear somewhat different from the white I sprayed on the front part of the fuselage, as I airbrushed it straight on the metallic propeller base; I think I read somewhere that the front part of this propeller was painted white, but now I'm not that sure anymore ... :undecided: :hmmm: 

ANR-Macchi-C.202-Folgore-4S96SA-96-6-Italy-1941-02

The kit paint guide has it wrong, because it shows an all black propeller, and looking at this picture and at the various profiles, I thought it was white ... 

Have you got any different info?

Ciao

• Like 1

To me the propeller in the picture looks darker than the surrounding white of the spinner. I know that propellers on WW2 Regia aircrafts were for a period in a light blue grey, the problem is what light blue grey... some say it's Grigio Azzurro Chiaro but I have a couple of colour pictures of aircrafts with standard Grigio Azzurro Chiaro undersurfaces and to me the propellers look a bit more blue than this colour. A number of documents mention a colour named "Celeste Chiaro" (light sky") that however doesn't seem to be in the Tavola 10 so it's hard to pin down the colour exactly

I'll pass my pictures on a scanner and send them to you by email so you can have a look at them and take a guess

• Like 2