The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

Hi everybody;

inspired by some very interesting multiple builds I recently saw here on BM (see for instance by @Cookenbacher, @Procopius and @rob85, to name a few), I decided to start my own.

I'm going to build Macchi's C202 FOLGORE and C205 VELTRO (I don't think they need any introduction, but I'll probbaly mention something along the build)

I acquired the two kits I'm going to use off BM, second hand; they were pristine, though, with only the C202 having the main parts (fuselage and wings) removed from the sprue.

Here are the boxes:

MC202_BOXART

MC205_BOXART

and the schemes I'm going for:

MC202_SCHEMA

MC205_SCHEMA1

Aftermarkets: SBS resin cockpit set and Eduard Brassin exhaust stacks for the C202

AM1

and again SBS resin cockpit and Quickboost exhausts for the C205

AM2

Here are some details of the cockpit sets:

AM3

AM4

AM5

Not bad, uh? :) 

Instruction sheet:

AM6

AM7

Same for the C205

AM8

AM9

and the paint set I'll be using:

paints1

paints2

Last night I washed both kits and the resin parts in warm soapy water and let them dry overnight.

More progress during the WE, I think.

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 23

Great subjects. These two are such sleekly styled machines, they  suggest the designers would have rather been continuing on their line of speed record breaking Schneider Trophy racers!

Clever designs too: I seem to recall one at least has slightly longer wing on one side to provide a little extra lift to offset the effects of torque from the propellor.

Good luck with the build!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Clever designs too: I seem to recall one at least has slightly longer wing on one side to provide a little extra lift to offset the effects of torque from the propellor.

They're both like that. In fact, if you follow my build you will see that Hasegawa basically used the same mould for the two models, with just a few different bits for the specific version; this will lead to filling panel lines and removing various bumps from the C202 fuselage and wings ... :frantic: 

Thank you for your comment, greggles! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Really looking forward to this, the Italians know how to make good looking aircraft!

Rob

Somehow I knew I'd have had your attention on this project ... :hmmm:  :D  :D  Glad to have you on board, Rob :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Looking forward to these !

There's a very thorough explanation of the modifications needed for the 205 on the Aviolibri book on the type, let me know if this can be of use to you

Cheers Giorgio, thanks for joining! :thumbsup: The book you mention would definitely be of use, also because then C205 I'm modelling is part of the first series, without wing cannons, and I seem to recall I read somewhere that the access panels for the wing machine guns are different from the ones moulded by Hasegawa.

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

I'll watch this with interest. The C.202 is one of my favourite aircraft and I built a couple of the Hasegawa kits in both 1/72nd and 1/48th  a while back, I still have a 1/48th one in the stash but it will never get built:idea:

Thank you for joining Silver Fox :thumbsup: I must warn you, I'm not the fastest builder ever ( :chair: quite the opposite, in fact) so, don't expect a quick build :shrug:  :)

34 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with these two! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hey Stix, welcome on board, great to have you here!  :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

Looking forward to this also :)

Cheers Clive, thanks for joining :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, a double build Giemme, and since you put about 17 times more detail than I do, that's like 34 simultaneous builds.

:D :D:D Cheers Cookie, that made me laugh a lot, thank you! :thumbsup: But it's a lot easier to put details into a 1/48 model ... I think :confused:  :D Welcome on board!

2 minutes ago, basket said:

Armchair : check !

Whisky : check ! 

Ready for these 2 beauties !

BTW 1/48 is not your favorite scale....is there a reason for this change ? 

Chocks off then, basket :D Welcome on board to you too :thumbsup:

As for the scale, it is actually the opposite: I'm mainly a 1/48 guy, but since I did my F-4J in 1/72 a couple of years ago, I found it good fun .... and space saving, so the idea is to do jets in 1/72 and propellers in 1/48 (with exceptions, of course :winkgrin: )

Plus, a 1/72 propeller fighter is normally very tiny :frantic:  (apart from some US WWII fighters, which look like they've been under steroids ... )

Ciao 

• Like 2

Hello Giorgio :).

I am normally a 1/72 builder because I have very little space, but I always have wanted to build in some larger scales.

I'm looking forward to this build, I am sure that I will learn things that can be used to enhance 1/72 models. I had thought of buying the Italeri ones.

Really stylish aircraft, plus I'm looking forward to seeing you do the colour schemes with the Lifecolor set (I like Lifecolor paints) :thumbsup2: 

Good luck for enjoyable builds,

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Thanks Tony, and welcome on board! :thumbsup: 

The color schemes are quite tricky, especially the smoke rings one; I'll very likely have to resort to Tamiya paint for them, but I'll first give it a try with the appropriate Lifecolor green.

I love Lifecolor, especially for brush painting, but they give a very smooth finish also when airbrushed :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 4

12 hours ago, clive_t said:

I too love the sleek lines of the Italian fighters such as the Folgore, but by contrast the bombers are some strange, ugly beasts... still very interesting subjects though!

Like the SM79, right? :D That was my very first model, built when I was just a kid. I'll have to build another one, sooner or later  .... :coolio:

10 hours ago, davmarx said:

Wow Giorgio, what a wonderful wip, two beautiful propellers in the same page! :clap2:

I love these Macchi fighters... and Lifecolor too. :yes:

Ciao.

Davide

GRazie Davide, benvenuto a bordo! :thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely choice, I'll take a seat at the back if you don't mind!

Ian

I certainly don't mind, Ian! Welcome on board :thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This looks good, I'm definitely up for this one! :popcorn:

Martian

Welcome to you too, Martian! :thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, Thom216 said:

This will be cool to watch. One of the most beautiful planes built IMO. I have two or three on the TD Shelf!

The C202/205 are indeed eye-catching. Thanks for joining! :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, Sprueloose said:

Love the look of these aircraft! Mind if I tag along?

I don't mind at al, the more the merrier :D:thumbsup: 

I should have some update to post on Monday, meanwhile happy WE everybody

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Like the SM79, right? :D That was my very first model, built when I was just a kid. I'll have to build another one, sooner or later  .... :coolio:

That was the very beast I was thinking of... Looks that only a mother could love! Although I am fortunate enough to have one in my stash, obtained from eBay a few months back. I want to get a BR20 also, but to finish it in Japanese markings. I was convinced I had a Folgore also, but I was wrong; it turns out that I have a Reggiane 2005 kit - a very similar outline though!

• Like 1

I'm not sure how easy it will be to use the lifecolor paints for the smoke rings.. they are not the finest and when thinned beyond a certain limit they just separate in droplets. I'll watch your experiments with interest !

One possible solution is to add Vallejo's glaze medium, that makes the paint more transparent while retaining the standard thinning ratios. I've used this to make my own washes using Llifecolors and seems to be working, may be worth trying

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, clive_t said:

That was the very beast I was thinking of... Looks that only a mother could love! Although I am fortunate enough to have one in my stash, obtained from eBay a few months back. I want to get a BR20 also, but to finish it in Japanese markings. I was convinced I had a Folgore also, but I was wrong; it turns out that I have a Reggiane 2005 kit - a very similar outline though!

Re2005 is very similar indeed, with some notable differences in the rudder, elevators and wings shape; great looking airframe too, I'd love to have a decent 1/48 kit of it.

6 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I'm not sure how easy it will be to use the lifecolor paints for the smoke rings.. they are not the finest and when thinned beyond a certain limit they just separate in droplets. I'll watch your experiments with interest !

One possible solution is to add Vallejo's glaze medium, that makes the paint more transparent while retaining the standard thinning ratios. I've used this to make my own washes using Llifecolors and seems to be working, may be worth trying

Thanks G.  Hard to spray fine lines with Lifecolor, I know, but I'm going to experiment a few different thinners, like a mix of Future and Windex (veramente userò Vetril e la Emulsio 6 mesi) and see what I get. I'm also prepared to brush paint the smoke rings :frantic:

Can you please expand on the Valleyo glaze medium? What is it exactly?

Ciao

• Like 1