This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Andre B

Matchbox kits...

53 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

To be fair, my memories of the kit go back 30 years or more. Just remember it being a breeze to put together, and had no idea of the accuracy of the kit. I can't imagine why the Zero would be any rarer than any of the other Matchbox kits, but I know I sold one on eBay over 10 years ago and got £26 for it. I was mildly surprised to say the least!

Best regards;
Steve

It does seem to be quite rare and IIRC appeared in two different Matchbox boxes with different artwork, both by Roy Huxley. Maybe the production runs were shorter than for other kits or it just got built more! The value is perhaps to collectors wanting to complete a collection of Matchbox kits and reflects its scarcity. 

Regards

Nick

30 minutes ago, old thumper said:

Couldn't agree more and what is there not to like about the Green Hornet. This is one I built some years ago, I would like to build another at some point only this time with re-etched panel lines and a browner shade of o/d against the green camouflage. A French glass nosed version is also tempting.

33831174276_52e8db8723_k.jpg

Concerning the Zero, tapered cowlings were unfortunately a bit of common fault with Matchbox kits. I have a Matchbox Zero in my stash that I picked up from a show for about a fiver, unfortunately I later discovered that it is missing it's canopy so I will have to organise a replacement when the time comes to build it.

It's a terrible cliché I know, but the Matchbox looks like an A-20 to me and has bags of nostalgia with that box art and scheme. I always think that the MPM/SH has a ginormous looking fin and rudder which seems wrong but have never checked it against plans.

Nick

I've actually got an acute urge to buy that A-20 again. Had it back in the 80's and remember not being able to chose which version to build!

I've also got a question about the Walrus kit. I've had and seen a boxing with the original Matchbox logo and the early 80's boxing with the tri-colour flash, but I've never seen the Walrus in the mid/late 70's boxing with the rounded off logo. Did it ever appear in that style of box, because I've never seen one. I almost found the same with the Fw-190. Seen loads in the early boxes and loads in the 80's boxes...but the mid 70's boxings are quite hard to find. Well, it took me long enough to find one!

Best regards;

Steve 

I can't think of many of the Matchbox kits that really warrant rereleasing these days.  Off the top of me head:

HS 125

Tempest II/VI

Hawker Fury 

AW Siskin

Fairey Seafox

HP Hereford

Walrus

Do 18

He 115

BAC Lightning T55

Provost

Posted (edited)

It depends on what you want from a kit. Most were nice fun builds but there were some dogs as well.

Matchbox were always big on character. 

Edited by old thumper

Among the Matchbox tapered cowling we can add the Beaufighter's, not as bad as the Zero's but still noticeable together with the step before the collector ring.

The A-20 cowlings on the other hand were not tapered but are much larger in diameter than they should be. In the end 1/72 modellers have to choose between a less accurate but easy build (Matchbox) and a more accurate (but not perfect) very fiddly build (MPM). And for other variants there's of course the option of a quite accurate but very hard build in the Hi-Planes kit. That such an important aircraft has not been treated with a good modern mainstream kit in 72 scale is one of the mysteries of modelling...

17 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Really today I can't see how a modeller may prefer this one over the very nice and cheap Airfix kit

I think it may be the difference between what you want to build vs. what you want to build, if you see what I mean.