This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Andre B

Matchbox kits...

41 posts in this topic

I would agree with The Seafox and Siskin.

Airfix have re-released some 1/32 cars, I feel Revell could do the same with the Matchbox vintage cars line. They were lovely to build. IIRC I didn't even paint them, they looked great in the coloured plastic they came in.

I'm very fond of the Dornier Do G, I know it's neither fish nor fowl, but with a bit of work it can be made into a lovely model.

Best regards

TonyT

Agreed Chris, Airfix is a generation above the old kits. I have two of them and while I parted company with two of my Matchbox Gladiators, I still keep one in my stash. Cheers

Jure

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Agreed Chris, Airfix is a generation above the old kits. I have two of them and while I parted company with two of my Matchbox Gladiators, I still keep one in my stash. Cheers

Jure

I have three more Revell releases of the Gladiator in my stash.

Chris

Those with decals for a pre-war all-silver 73 Sqn. (I think) scheme and the other one of 112 Sqn. Gladiator, fighting Italians in Ethiopia from Sudan, summer 1940. Gone, although I will definitely build one of my kits in latter scheme. Cheers

Jure

On 03/03/2017 at 6:47 PM, XF442 said:

Matchbox produced some really lovely kits despite their shortcomings. Their Fury was a joy to build - which Revell promptly re-released the following year. Looking at the stash (no even close to dogsbody's though) currently my main favorite for re-release is the Wellesly. I especially like the way Matchbox used to recreate the geodetic structure.

Have to agree with Chris the Wellesly would be great also the Seafox that said there are some kits still easy to find I got this last year

for just over a fiver.http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999027-matchbox-siskin/

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Darby said:

Seafox.

I have two, one of which is missing a canopy.. :(

Edited by charlie_c67

I think the Wellesley, Siskin, Lysander and Piston Provost are a few of my favourites, but to be honest, there has hardly been a Matchbox kit that I haven't enjoyed building. I built loads as a kid, and with about 100 in the stash, I still build them whenever I want some AMS free fun. Just finished a couple of Piston Provosts and have the B-17 and Siskin lined up.

I honestly believe that if it were not for Matchbox, I may never have heard of the likes of the Wellesley, Siskin, Piston Provost, Heyford etc. I used to build a lot of kits with an equally enthusiastic school friend, and we often used to try and out do each other as far a esoteric subjects were concerned. Matchbox supplied a lot of those kits and I have always admired their brave subject choices...and this 12 year old (in 1981) proved that it wasn't just the older modelling anoraks buying Siskins and Heyfords! Oh! And I loved that Roy Huxley artwork! So Matchbox will always be held dearly by this now older and wider modeller (and I meant wider not wiser!)

One thing puzzles. I often trawl eBay for the odd Matchbox kit, and wonder why the Zero always seems to attract regular high prices...often in excess of £20. Nice little kit, but often fetching a lot more than the other aircraft in the same series.

Does everyone have the H&C History of Matchbox kits book? Lovely little book!

Best regards;
Steve

Here are pics of my Matchbox kits... Catalogues only though.....

IMG_1785_zpstpo1odq1.jpg

IMG_1786_zpshphuaqyq.jpg

IMG_1787_zpswv2jekoc.jpg

IMG_1788_zps0zgiuols.jpg

IMG_1790_zpsmpydg3rx.jpg

These last two look alike  but are different. On cover is the 40p price and inside they differ in page layouts and page count. See next pics:

IMG_1791_zpsqdmtnslp.jpg

Same page numbers but different illustrations.

IMG_1792_zpsjgzat8tc.jpg

5 people like this

http://www.matchboxkits.org/

This website is hard to beat for excellent pictures and the background to Matchbox - I loved building their kits , and the Tanks were nice as well (I still have those )

For me, the Matchbox is the memory of the father. Dad, in 1975 brought from Spain a model in the 72-scale Messerschmitt-109E, this is my first self-assembled model, I still keep it!

1 person likes this

Hello, Sergey

I built one of those. I think someone already mentioned Matchbox kit was superior to old Hasegawa, Airfix and Revell Bf 109 E kits in some aspects. While Matcbox kit lacks details and its fuselage panels bear only passing resemblance to those of the real aircraft, its outline and scale measurements are quite accurate. At the time it had been believed Bf 109 E's length was 8,64 m and consequently plenty of kits had been too short. Whether by coincidence or by design, Matchbox avoided this common mistake. Cheers

Jure

The old Matchbox Bf109e kit in the flesh.

30777569176_a4101613a9_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
3 people like this

I love the matchbox biplanes, have a number in the stash, fury, siskin, P12e.  Also the heyford, dont have one at the moment but am after one. 

Love the fact matchbox were brave enough to bring out unusual kits, nightfighter meteor, He70, skyknight etc.

going to expand my collection at cosford in a few weeks!!

Hello, Old Thumper

That is the one, and the other colour scheme given was Bf 109 E-4/trop black 8, I believe. Did you tart it up a bit? I do not remember fuselage machine guns, certainly not staggered ones. Cheers

Jure

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, Old Thumper

That is the one, and the other colour scheme given was Bf 109 E-4/trop black 8, I believe. Did you tart it up a bit? I do not remember fuselage machine guns, certainly not staggered ones. Cheers

Jure

30813930485_ffeb098976_k.jpg

I spent a bit of time tarting it up, mostly with sanding down and re-scribing the panel lines. The fuselage guns are staggered, i just picked them out with a splash of paint.

At some point I will get another kit and build the box art version.

Edited by old thumper

I built two of those Me109"s back in the mid 70's, one of each decal option.

Chris

1 person likes this