Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk. F 22

Hi all,

I finally decided to post a WIP after many months of lurking. I've decided to build the Airfix Spitfire Mk 22

16880131_748012612041288_421807967_o

For the first time ever I will be adding some aftermarket stuff to enhance the build. I've acquired some Eduard super fabric belts because I am not quite brave enough to use those fiddly photo etch parts yet. The first thing I noticed when opening the box is the large amount of ejection pin markings which is quite frustrating but I will have to deal with that.

16910596_748012708707945_1104657506_o

First off I removed the parts from the sprue for the interior and gave them a quick clean up and then prepped them for some primer.

16930921_748012905374592_1887963813_o

After a coat of black I then gave it a spray of Vallejo Model Air Interior Grey-Green

16880945_748012772041272_445657518_o16935426_748013035374579_1361942295_o

I then painted the small details using a fine brush and then applied a wash over the cockpit walls

16931206_748012945374588_326631364_o

I then applied the seat belts using small spots of white glue

16935613_748012988707917_532781293_o

Thats all for today, tomorrow I'll be cleaning up the wash and connecting the fuselage havles

Cam :) 

• Like 10

Hi all,

I've made some more progress today, I first cleaned up the wash on the cockpit sidewalls and then I stuck the centre bit onto one of the sides and then glued the two fuselage pieces together. 

16930630_748462991996250_1244136731_o16935593_748462835329599_827936054_o16930933_748462968662919_1994377418_o

I glued the wing bits together and then glued them to the fuselage. I then filled the cockpit with some sponge stuff to mask it. Next I sprayed some Vallejo gunmetal grey for the wheel wells and then masked them using the closed undercarriage doors.

16936066_748462938662922_1387388977_o16930498_748462908662925_308467456_o

I then sprayed some Vallejo Air Silver, I really love that stuff! It sprays like a dream

16930534_748462751996274_671746151_o

That's all for now :)

Cam

• Like 4

Seconded! Those internals look really tidy. I like the Vallejo paints too; as you say they spray really well and that finish looks great.

I hope you don't mind if I mention the seams on the fuselage halves. It's one of things I learned when I joined BM and we're all a bit paranoid about these - they don't appear on the real thing. I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, but the injection molding process sometimes results in 'extra plastic' (called 'flash') on the parts and it's a good idea to clean this off before assembly.  There are lots of tools available for this but a sharp knife and cheap nail file boards work, with care. Next time, it might be worth trying to get rid of the seams with some gentle sanding and, if needed, a bit of filler after assembly (and more sanding).

Good job though Cam - she's looking good! :) 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CedB said:

Seconded! Those internals look really tidy. I like the Vallejo paints too; as you say they spray really well and that finish looks great.

I hope you don't mind if I mention the seams on the fuselage halves. It's one of things I learned when I joined BM and we're all a bit paranoid about these - they don't appear on the real thing. I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, but the injection molding process sometimes results in 'extra plastic' (called 'flash') on the parts and it's a good idea to clean this off before assembly.  There are lots of tools available for this but a sharp knife and cheap nail file boards work, with care. Next time, it might be worth trying to get rid of the seams with some gentle sanding and, if needed, a bit of filler after assembly (and more sanding).

Good job though Cam - she's looking good! :) 

Thanks for the advice! I never really thought about doing that :) Next time I'll be sure to remember that!

• Like 1

On 24/02/2017 at 7:55 AM, CamberrySauce said:

...I sprayed some Vallejo gunmetal grey for the wheel wells and then masked them using the closed undercarriage doors.

Nice one, that's never occurred to me before. I'll try and lodge that in the memory bank.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No disrespect, but you really need to listen to what Ced was saying upthread.  Seams are a bugbear at the best of times but ESPECIALLY so with regards to NMF or silver finishes because they can and will highlight each and every flaw, especially seams.  The wing leading edges could do with a good sanding too.

Look, it's a nice model, which draws you in and then you start noticing the seams as silver highlights them.  And that's what prevents it being a good model.

I tend to use Halfords Aluminium (UK based retail chain automotive paint) and I use it as the primer for NMF or Aluminium finishes so I can see where I've missed with the sanding stick or the filler. Works wonders.

Edited by The Wooksta!
Additional detail as an olive branch
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

No disrespect, but you really need to listen to what Ced was saying upthread.  Seams are a bugbear at the best of times but ESPECIALLY so with regards to NMF or silver finishes because they can and will highlight each and every flaw, especially seams.  The wing leading edges could do with a good sanding too.

Look, it's a nice model, which draws you in and then you start noticing the seams as silver highlights them.  And that's what prevents it being a good model.

I tend to use Halfords Aluminium (UK based retail chain automotive paint) and I use it as the primer for NMF or Aluminium finishes so I can see where I've missed with the sanding stick or the filler. Works wonders.

Hi,

Thanks for the constructive criticism :) Is there anything you think I could do to improve the look of the model at this stage?

It's too late, really.  Decals are on and any paint/sanding, even with careful masking, is going to be tricky and the colours may not match.

Best bet - and what I would do - is get another and try again.  Then strip the first and try salvaging it - plenty of other NMF Spitfire mk 22s on available aftermarket decals.  It's not that far off - I'd call it the primer/fixer stage - you just jumped the gun with the decals.  Plenty of times I've looked at an NMF finish after I've sprayed it and thought it ready for decalling only to spot something before applying them, usually with lots of swearing.

Beautiful job on the cockpit interior, BTW.  Wheel wells should be interior green though.

• Like 2

Lovely Spitfire Cam!

For getting rid of fuselage seams my favorite filler is plain old hardware store superglue. Apply it to the seam with a toothpick, wait a minute or two until the glue is dry to the touch and then sand with 400 to 600 (medium) grit sandpaper. Cheap and easy.

For wing root and edge seams I use a regular hobby putty, because it's difficult to get a sanding stick at a good angle to get the leverage needed to sand superglue.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CamberrySauce said:

Hi,

Thanks for the constructive criticism :) Is there anything you think I could do to improve the look of the model at this stage?

If you wanted to use it as a learning exercise you could (1) make sure you can get some more decals - I can help you here (2) remove the offending seams with sanding sticks, starting coarse, working to fine and then very gently sand the whole thing (3) mask the canopy and any other non-silver bits (4) re-spray it using that nice technique you have mastered.

(Edit - as suggested by Wooksta above, I didn't read it fully (:<)

Alternatively, use it as a learning exercise and move on to next project.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

make sure you can get some more decals - I can help you here

Hi thanks for the great ideas! :D but I am confused when you say I can help you here, what do you mean by that? :)