Acrylic RAF Azure blue?

sapperastro

Hello all,

I have had a question from a friend of mine regarding the elusive Azure Blue from the RAF and assorted commonwealth aircraft in the Med. He is a dyed in the wool Acrylic user, and my efforts to get him to bite the bullet and use the new Humbrol recipe (Colourcoats and PP enamels are either not available here period, or in the case of CC, the new Azure blue still isn't in stock here, which means the new blue swoop Humbrol is my only option, which luckily has been an excellent tin of paint so far) have all failed. I was going to suggest trying a newer pot of Humbrol Acrylic, but I have no idea if they changed the formula, and if so, how would anyone know it is changed?

So, Acrylic people, are there any paint companies that put out the genuine article for Azure blue in acrylics now? Any that have changed formula since the Great Azure Blue thread?

157 Azure Blue isn't (as yet) in the Humbrol acrylic range, which is a pity. There's a major gap in the acrylic market here.

I think mixing is the only reliable way thus far. If you have the new Humbrol enamel, I would try matching it by adding some of the brightest blue you can find to white and just a spot of a strong red.

John

• Like 1

PLC; I have read the big Azure blue thread started by John, which is where I gained the knowledge of the three, perfect Azure blues on the market. Every Azure blue was tested in that thread, and none of the acrylics quite matched up. After that thread, I am pretty positive there are no cans of worms left to open ;)

John;, I agree, I will have to let him know and give him a hand with it. I will use a brushout of the Humbrol to see if we can make a match.

Hang on, hasn't there been an airfix starter kit of desert airforce aircraft? If so, does anyone know if there is a Humbrol acrylic minipot of Azure blue included?

Edited by sapperastro

Hi All

Ive been using Vallejo Azure Blue for a while now and would say it's a reasonable match. Just my opinion! I know this is a massive can of worms.

James

• Like 2

Franky, I have googled it, and it is another possibility with a few additions. It is 902 you are talking about?

My friend is still waiting for lifecolor stocks to appear in a shop over here, while Vallejo is reasonably easy to get hold of.

Edited by sapperastro

• 4 weeks later...

Here are two mixes from Tamiya paints that I tried:

XF-2: 20 + XF-8 3+ X-16: 3 + XF-18: 1 looks ok to me
or: XF-2:3 + XF-8: 1: also ok but slightly  more blue.

I settled for the first mix for an Aussie Spit VIII I recently finished,

HTH,

Christian.

Hi guys,

I've used xtracrylix Azure Blue on my Hurricane build that is ongoing, I'm no expert but looks right to me. It's going to get heavily weathered anyway as the paint bleached quite badly under desert conditions as far as I am aware. Here it is on hannants I'm not sure if they ship to "Down Under". Azure Blue at Hannants

I hope this helps.