Camuflage color HMS Duke of York North Cape 1943

Lussino

Hi to all,

Very soon I will start with new build of model HMS Duke of York battleship during battle of North Cape against DKM Scharnhorst. So presently I am still in doubt how is the ship paint camouflage pattern during that time. I will appreciate any suggestion or help to make correct painting of the model.

Brgds, and thanks

G.S.

Although photos show HMS Duke of York was in a dark hull/light upperworks type scheme as late as 1st November 1943

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205152661

photos of her arriving back at Scapa from the battle of the North Cape on 1st Jan 1944 seem to show a darker tone upperworks suggesting that she may have been in one overall colour when sinking the Scharnhorst:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205186866

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205153538

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205153544

One can speculate that this was the medium grey ’emergency’ 50/50 mix of 507A and 507C and that she was therefore in the ‘Equivalent of Intermediate Type Designs’ scheme (see CB 3098R of May 43).

• Like 1

Hello,

Many thanks guy's  so now I know which color I need to mix to get correct painting. I waiting for release Trumpeter HMS Belfast in scale 1/700 and most probable I will build one diorama with 4 ships together at sea. HMS  DOY, HMS Jamaica, HMS Belfast and HMS Sheffield.  So I will appreciate If some one can me help also how is camouflage done on other three ships as well during Battle of North Cape. Will be nice if will be available somewhere Profile ot the ships.

Brgds, and thanks a lot

G.S

Croatia Europe

According to Malcolm Wright's book at the time of North Cape the hull was painted 507a/G10 with the superstructure in MS2.  Wooden decks were painted grey (possibly 507b) but the foredeck was a lighter shade of grey.

Sorry to confuse the issue!

Edited by Groundloop
  • Like 1

That rings alarm bells to me because repainting the upperworks a darker shade (as Richard above mentioned) must have happened in late 1943, half a year after MS2 was superceded. The time window is known because DOY was well photographed in late 1943 still with the light coloured upperworks.

"photos of her arriving back at Scapa from the battle of the North Cape on 1st Jan 1944 seem to show a darker tone upperworks suggesting that she may have been in one overall colour when sinking the Scharnhorst:"

My impression of these images is that the upperworks are still lighter than the hull colour - the first photo was probably taken on a very dull day.

Hi,

Many thanks for help so if I understood  well the right color will be for DOY 1943 December battle of North Cape  Hull G10/507a  , superstructure MS2 and wooden deck 507b Medium Grey.

Brgds,

17 hours ago, Groundloop said:

"photos of her arriving back at Scapa from the battle of the North Cape on 1st Jan 1944 seem to show a darker tone upperworks suggesting that she may have been in one overall colour when sinking the Scharnhorst:"

My impression of these images is that the upperworks are still lighter than the hull colour - the first photo was probably taken on a very dull day.

I can understand why you might think that however I hope we can nevertheless agree that, whatever the hull tone, the upperworks were clearly something darker than 507C/G45? That being the case, if she was in a  two tone scheme it would have to have been the 'Equivalent of Dark Admiralty Type Designs' scheme which called for hull G10 and the upperworks G20. However it does not look like G20 so again I suggest the 50/50 507A/C emergency mix in place of G20.

Edited by dickrd

5 hours ago, Lussino said:

Hi,

Many thanks for help so if I understood  well the right color will be for DOY 1943 December battle of North Cape  Hull G10/507a  , superstructure MS2 and wooden deck 507b Medium Grey.

Brgds,

No. MS2 was discontinued in May 1943 and 507B was discontinued in September 1941 (which makes Malcolm Wright's suggestions impossible).

Edited by dickrd